1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fullscreen in 16:9 with Panny AE300

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by megabukey2000, Jan 14, 2004.

1. megabukey2000

megabukey2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times but I couldn't find anything with a search. I have just bought a Panny Ae300 and love it. Only one thing confuses me though. A 4:3 picture is converted to fullscreen 16:9 (and still looks great) but when I play a widescreen (16:9) DVD, I get black bars on the top and bottom so in essence I only get about 70 % of the screen with the picture. Shouldn't a widescreen DVD fill the whole screen? Or does it have to do with how the DVD is made?

Keep up the great posts here, the information is fantastic.

Regards,

mb2k

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    This confuses everyone when they're new to widescreen. :)

Simple answer: widescreen movies come in a range of aspect ratios, widescreen TVs etc. are 16:9 .. many popular movies are either 2.35:1 so that they don't fill the screen vertically when expanded horizontally.

There are many places to read about this, this one was the first I found round here doing a search. If you Search for "1.78:1", for example, you'll find a number of threads discussing aspect ratios. :)

3. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    I'll Have a stab at this and say that if the dvd you are watching is 1:78:1 (true widescreen) then it shall fill all your screen but if it is 2:35:1 for example then this is wider than true widescreen hence the black bars top and bottom.

No doubt if i'm wrong someone will be along soon to tell me off :lesson:

Adrenochrome.

4. megabukey2000

megabukey2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank You! that makes total sense now. The movie was a 1.85:1 so that makes sense on the screen ratio. In Canada the 16:9 TV's and projectors are outselling 4:3 by a huge margin to the point now where most shops won't eve carry the 4:3. We now have 10 HD channels so that is helping to drive it. Guess I just have to wait for the DVD's to catchup also. Anyways, it is still a huge picture.

Next up a video scaler :)

Regards,

MB2K

5. popeckia

popeckia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    actually, if the move was 1.85:1 then it should pretty much fill the entire screen (you'll get very thin black bars top and bottom). If you have significant bars, then you probably have your dvd player set to output to a 4:3 television.

If this is the case, go to the dvd player menu, and select 16:9 or "Widescreen" output. This should mean it will fill the screen almost entirely and be in the correct ratio.

If you do have the DVD player set up wrong, then the image probably looks a little squished like someone sat on it. Changing the output from the player should resolve this.