1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

full range signal into svs pb10 isd?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by owain_thomas, Jul 27, 2005.

1. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    is there any problem with sending a full range signal into my svs pb10? the reason I ask is that I have an RME soundcard in my HCPC which doesn't have bass management but does have the ability to combine channels and output them to another. using this method I could combine the L and R channels and output them to the sub as well as the individual L and R ones (ie L+R to sub plus L to L and r to R). will this damage the sub or does it have its own way of sorting out the frequencies it can't play?

2. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    The PB10 has no low-pass filter so it will happily play all frequencies.

Whether you enjoy what it sounds like while doing so is a completely different matter. :devil:

Hopefully the bass will be loud enough to drown out the higher frequencies. Your main speakers will also help to mask these unwanted frequencies.

Nimby

3. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    thanks nimby,

I take it that I won't damage my sub by sending it these higher frequencies?

4. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I doubt it. Handling very low (bass) frequencies is far more difficult and potentially damaging than playing higher frequencies. Though damage usually only occurs on test tones rather than real life programme material like films, games and music.

Just to be on the safe side I'd keep your volume/gain level low on your PB10 until you get some experience with your own set up on the sort of material you enjoy. You'll soon find the right balance as you slowly increase the sub's volume/gain to personal taste. The PB10 is protected against going too loud anyway. But you don't want to frighten yourself by starting at full volume! :devil:

Tell us how you get on. People here will be very interested in hearing your experiences with the PB10. :smashin:

Nimby

5. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    1) Subwoofers sounds really bad full range, loads of the bass is totally ruined by the mids and the highs.

2) Having a subwoofer play full range will most likely cause large cancelations at a lots frequnecies right across the midbass and upper midrange FR range as it will be playing common frequencies to the rest of your speakers.

As a rough stop gap you could get a set of these RCA low pass filters, you would need a 50hz, 75hz and mabye 100hz and then you could play so see which gives the best sound for your install.

http://www.caliber.nl/index.php?cPath=33_75