1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FULL RANGE Option and multi channel?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by hoosterw, Sep 20, 2005.

1. hoosterw

hoosterw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Probably you know the answer, but I don't.

I have set my L/R to Full Range because that gives the best performance (most natural and stable soundstage) in two channel stereo using Direct mode (excluding the sub!).

Now I have tried to figure out what that does when playing multi channel.
    Does the AV (I have an AV192) then anyway automatically cuts of @ 80Hz for example with 5.1 THX?
    I would say it would because the algorithm of THX prescribes cut of at 80Hz.
    And what about the other modes?

This should be know to some of you who know the software of the AV quite well.

Thanks in advance.

ps I have tried to listen and it seems its is cut of.

2. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    The .1 will always go to the sub and I believe the sub cut off frequency also does as it is told. Steve wrote this all out a little while ago, I'd suggest a search on his posts to find it?

3. hoosterw

hoosterw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Graham.

I tried the search but probably worded wrongly since there came no applicable results. I'll try again.

As to the .1 I was aware but I mainly wondered about the L en R, what they do? Is the signal to L and R cut of @ 80Hz by the AV or are they getting a full range signal.

I'll search again.

Thanks Hans.

4. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I think that any multichannel format results in the bass cut off doing as it is told, only direct ignores this if the the speakers are set full range. Wander through Stevesky's posts it is in there honest. Personally I set speakers to BassLimited regardless of what is hanging off the amp and let the sub do the work, of course that depends on the sub....
    Steve?

5. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Morning!

The bass management rules are obeyed in multichannel independent if THX post processing is enabled or not. So, if you have your front L, R assigned as full range then a full range signal will be applied to those channels. Saying this, when THX is enabled those channels will take on a wacky frequency response that is to recreate the typical acoustics of a cinema, so I suspect this is the difference you are hearing when THX is on.

Personally, I rarely have THX post processing enabled nowadays as very few DVD's require it as they are mastered for the home enviroment, not cinema. If you apply THX post processing when it isn't required then it will sound rather bland with very little high frequency etc.

6. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Whats the range on your L/R? I have Mission 783s which bottom out at about 38hz, so I run em as bass restricted with a cut off at 40hz and this give me very satisfying results :)

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Good question!

Thing is that almost all speakers that "pretend" to be full range (whatever that means), never really do the sub 50Hz thing as well as a proper sub and the interaction within the speaker cabinet only adds to the general grief. Of course that doesn't cover all eventualities but many rather well made speakers are seriously rolled off by the time you get to 38Hz, I'd consider a decent servo sub or two or at least give it a go. Speakers are the most emotive subject as we all know....

8. hoosterw

hoosterw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have the Miller&Kreissel S-150P. It has a switch for 80Hz roll of IN or OUT, but the spec sheet only gives the IN position as 80Hz -20kHz and not the OUT position. But indeed it will for sure not go as far as 20HZ.

The main reason is that when the set is played on two channel stereo and the L/R set to full range in the AV the soundstage is enourmously improved.
    The 80Hz roll of switch is in the OUT postion. I will give it a try later in the IN position.

Being monitor speakers I have always found them very directional and that is why I started playing around, thus finding what I found.

Thanks for helping guys.

9. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    As far as I'm aware all M&K speakers have quite a sharp roll off around 80hz as theyre all designed around the THX principle of a sub sat system with the sub taking care of everything below 80hz. I'm not a great fan of this system as I believe very few subs will do agile integrated bass in the upper bass regions as well as a large full range speaker. However your speakers are designed with an 80hz roll off in mind, so I would definately be selecting the bass limited option with a 80hz cut off from the AV menu :smashin: I would use L+R+sub in direct mode and if your subs really hard to integrate I would consider getting a better design thats a little lighter on its feet. What are you using at the moment?

10. hoosterw

hoosterw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is also the M&K sub MX350 I use.

I guess that the 80Hz filter switch is not there for nothing on the speakers. So the rol off should be much lesser when the switch is in OUT position.

I have always used the AV192 setting 80Hz cut off and direct+sub mode, L+R+sub.

I now use fullrange option in the AV and L+R direct mode. Also the 80Hz filter on the speakers is in the position OFF.
    I find this much better to listen to and a greatly increased soundstage for 2-channel audio that is!
    But I am wondering what this setting does(software wise I mean) when playing multi channel audio, 5.1 or 7.1.

As for M&K, I have not heard much that could compete with the M&K on multi channel! I just think that the lesser 2-channel performance is what I have to accept.
    You simply can't have the best of both worlds I guess.

Hans.

11. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well it dosnt get much better than the MX350 :thumbsup:

12. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hmmmmmm........ I seem to remember a sub test day or two recently where a whole load were measured and their relative performance listed, made interesting reading... Facts did however speak for themselves.....

13. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I use the pro M&K equivalent, the 2510's, and find that with my subs 80Hz did suit best but of course position of the subs and TMREQ all play a significant part......

14. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thats interesting Graham, always thought the MX350 sounded great :confused: I know its not a DD18 or a SVS PB12Ultra 2 but its still a good bit of kit?