Full range of music tastes - What speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by JES, Aug 20, 2004.

1. JES

JES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all.

I'm new here, so first of all I'd like to congratulate everyone who contributes. I've already learned many things here. Thanks :)

Now for my question. I'm going to start building my Audio/HC system shortly, so I'd like to have some opinions that I'm finding hard to look for on the net. My musical tastes vary greatly, so one day I may be listening to some Bach, Mozart, Beethoven or Wagner, and on the other I may be listening to some Dimmu Borgir, Iced Earth, Pantera, etc. This way, I'd like to have a set of speakers (just the front now, the rest will come later for the HC part) that can take well this range of music, and that perform well on both ends of the spectrum. I tend to divert mainly to harder part of music in my usual listenings, and this is where my troubles start. I'm finding hard to search for a set of speakers that can take Hard Rock / Heavy Metal well. For instance, I like the B&W 700 series very much for classical music, with their crisp detail and clarity, but they fall short when listening to more punchy faster music.

So, concluding my already huge post :blush: I'd like the opinions of everyone for a set of speakers around the €2000 (£ 1350) range, that can perform well on the demands above explained. Also, these speakers have to be good for movies too, since I'll be doing about 50/50 in music/movies. The system, as of right now, is just the DVD player (I'll buy a dedicated CD player later). The Pre and Power amps, as well as the processor, will be bought on the same time as the speakers (which I also need some help with, but that's the subject for another forum).

Thanks in advance,

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have Castle speakers and they cope well with different music.

Try the Howards

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Interesting, I found the B&W 703s to very good for punchy fast music, the bass was excellent. Perhaps you were listening to the 704?

In a face-off between the 703 and JM Lab Electra 926 I opted for the 926, they are very good with everything IMO. You might want to try them if you can find a pair 2nd hand (not easy). Retail is £2100. You could also try the next range down, Cobalt I think. i haven't tried those myself.

At a lower price point there is the Linn Ninka which was very nice for music, definite Linn sound there. I haven't tried them for movies. PMC is also an option.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'm not sure whether your budget is for the pair of speakers or the full set. If it's the former have a listen to PMC and Pro-Ac both of whom make some really good stuff

5. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Monitor Audio Silver series?

6. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    If budget is for stereo pair, another vote for ProAc here, plus Dynaudio are worth a listen too. I would recommend Sonus Faber (coz I love 'em!), but they're not quite so good at the hard rock stuff.

7. JES

JES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Daneel,

Maybe the problem was in the amplification department, I don't know. I just know that those speakers didn't flow well on my ear :) Like I said, with Classical, Jazz, etc it was very good indeed, with good and clear distictions from the several instruments, as well as good warmth to the vocal tonalities. But when the type of music changed, a lot of mid-frequencies were somewhat clouded, for lack of a better term. Oh, they were the B&W's floorstanders (3Way speakers), I don't remember the model number. I'll have a listen to the JMLab's. Thanks. :smashin:

Ian J,

Sorry, forgot to mention it. Yes, the budget is for the front speakers only, and it can be a little stretched (not too much though). I'll have a listen to ProAC then (don't know PMC but will have a look and see where they are sold). Thanks :smashin:

MartinImber, Falp, Shockabuku,

Thanks for your suggestions. :thumbsup: Don't know about Castle speakers, so I'll have a listen to them. As for the Monitor Audio Silver's, they were actually on my to listen list :) I'll add the Dynaudio's also. Any specific models here?

Thanks all for the suggestions so far, and I'm still open to more ideas since I'm not in a hurry for now.

8. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    With that budget, you're looking at the Dynaudio Audience 72. Better suited to a mid/large room though, so might be worth letting us know a bit more about your listening environment. I really liked the ProAc Studio 125's when I heard them a couple of years ago, though they also need room to breathe.

9. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Jes,
    I listen to very similar music to you it seems. It took me a long time to decide on a system. I listened to Thiels, JMLAB, LINN, Castle, DYN Audio and PMC + a few others that I can't remember they were that good. I demo'd all these speakers in my own home for between 1 and 2 weeks. I discounted the Castles and DYN Audios pretty much straight away as they lacked the dynamics I wanted.
    The Thiels 2-4's were an excellent speaker though a little bright for me and looked a bit cheap (Lets face it if your spending £2500 on a pair or speakers they've got to look the part!) These were Transmission Line speakers same as the PMC's. Excellent bass very dynamic and pure mid range.
    The Linns I liked (can't remember the model) a lot good dynamics and sweet highs though lacking a little in the bass department and tending to sound a little strained. I found this a little hard on my ears after a while.
    The JMLAB 926S was a very nice speaker, not as bright as the cobalt range (Down to better drivers I assume) A quite dynamic speaker producing a very good soundstage. I did find them a little strained (No offence Daneel - Just my ears) when listening to fast rock music or especially on Toccatta and Fugue by Vanessa May. There are some very fast and high violin sections going straight down to floor rumbling bass I felt this sounded a little strained. As a rule though these are exceptionally good speakers and should be high on your list. They are fantastic for Classical music. Female vocals are excellent as are violins. Not quite so strong on rock (a little laid back) but I did like the overall sound. If you can pick up a second hand or Ex Dem set. they'd be a steal.
    The PMC went something like this. I went to the shop and listened to the FB1's (The OB1's were out on loan at the time) They sounded very good. Very dynamic, the highs were a little bright (This being down to the tweeter - It's been replaced now by the fabric dome of the OB1) and the mid range not as smooth as it could be but for a 2 way they were superb. For £1400 retail they are a superb speaker though I have to say they weren't quite what I was looking for.
    The OB1's are the big 3 way speakers capable of handling 300 watts. They do need quite a lot of power to make them sing and take for ever to break in (500hours +) but when they're set up right they are incredibly transparrent and the most dynamic speaker I've heard even compared to 5 - 10K speakers. They are also incredibly versatile. Throw some Barber at them follow that with some Van Halen then some opera they handle everything perfectly Female vocals sound outstanding. The soundstage is massive and the bass response is excellent. The highs are clean and crisp with no hint of brightness. Close your eyes and it's hard to tell where the speakers are. If your looking for a speaker that adds nothing to the music and plays purely what's on the CD these could be the ones for you. Radfords in Bath/Bristol carry them. The bad news is they're £2500 I saw a second hand pair on ebay but they went for £1600. Ex dem tends to be about £1700 - £1900 I don't know if that's any good to you or not.

10. JES

JES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Knightshade,

Thanks for the excelent review! I'm saving it for later use. I'll also try and demo the speakers at home, though this depends on the seller, since I know from experience that one thing can look / sound awesome some place, and when you bring it home, even though the room is more or less the same, for some reasons things are quite different. So I'll have to be very carefull with what I buy. Thanks again :thumbsup:

Shockabuku,

Another thing I forgot to add, sorry :blush: My room is small for now, though I'm planning to sell the house in a short time (as soon as I get a buyer). The new one that I have my eye on has a bigger "listening room", so take this measurements as the minimum for now (though the difference for the new house won't be that big). The listening room has W13.5 x D10.2 x H8.5. I'm also looking at the Studio's 100/125 since the Response D15 are a bit too much for my wallet right now.

Thanks again for all the help so far,

11. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm going to have to second Knightshades comments on the OB1's. If you can't stretch that far I'd suggest you check out the FB1's.

And almost the same happened to me I went to listen to FB1's and came away with OB1's

Shame my electronics aren't up to match now.