1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full range of music tastes - Pre/Power Amp

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by JES, Aug 25, 2004.

1. JES

JES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all.

I'm new here, so first of all I'd like to congratulate everyone who contributes. I've already learned many things here, though I still have some doubts which I hope you can help me with.

Now for my question. I'm going to start building my Audio/HC system shortly, so I'd like to have some opinions that I'm finding hard to look for on the net. My musical tastes vary greatly, so one day I may be listening to some Bach, Mozart, Beethoven or Wagner, and on the other I may be listening to some Dimmu Borgir, Iced Earth, Pantera, etc. For the speakers, and taking into account the excelent help I received here, I'm leaning towards the ProAc Studio's 100/125, the Dynaudio's or the or the Mission's (will have to give a hard listen to the three and decide my mind), so I'm only lacking now on the amps department. This way, I'd like to have the amplification necessary to boost the front speakers (which will be the first to buy) in an Hi-Fi setup, as well as using the DVD's "processing" capabilities to use it for AV as well. So I have a couple of questions:

1- Is the setup I'm thinking of correct, that is: DVD -> Power Amp -> Speakers, or do I still need to buy a Pre-Amp to add to the mix? (sorry if this question is dumb, but like I said, I'm very new here, and I don't know exactly the differences in both equipments)

2- What brand/combo do you advise for someone with my tastes, that diverts slightly to the heavier sound though still listening to all kinds of music, with a budget of around € 2000 (£ 1350) for the amp (or a little more if I do need to buy the PreAmp also)?

Thanks in advance,

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    You will need a preamp. If you wish to do processing of DVD sound and have multichanel you will also need a pre/pro.

I would go 2nd hand for the pre/pro & power but if you must buy new the one I can think of close to your budget is the Rotel 1075 and 1068.

The other option is to buy an integrated receiver that will do both jobs. You would have a lot of choice within your budget. If it were my money I'd go with separates from the start and buy 2nd hand.

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Buying amps second hand is a pretty safe bet. No moving parts.
    I'd go with Daneel and go down the seperates path. Less to get in the way of the music. Integrateds are a compromise.

4. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hello Jes,

Since you already have a DV79, which has a very good 5.1 Dolby Digital/DTS /Dolby Pro Logic II decoder on board, then you could use an A90 amplifier fitted with a multichannel preamp module both as a preamp and to power your main L and R channels. In stereo its sound quality will be very comparable with good quality stereo separates on CD and the system will support DVD-Audio too.

To go multichannel you need to add 3 power amp channels (or just two if you make do with a "phantom" centre channel) connected to the outputs of the multichannel module. We have P80 and P90/P90-3 power amps to support this.

The only thing this combination will not support is multichannel audio from non CD/DVD sources.

Price will not be too far off the 2000 Euros you are considering.

Hope this helps,

John Dawson (Arcam)

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,462
    JES

The 'fly' in your flow chart is that most Power Amplifiers don't have a Volume control or Multiple source Inputs or Switching - this is where a Pre Amp or AV Surround Processor fits in the signal chain.

If you only had one source and wanted to build a multi channel multi Input system in stages there are single, twin and multi channel amplification units available with Volume controls; see the Power Buy section for info on the Flying Mole TAD-M100pro units we have as one option.

Once you expand past your DVD supplying a fixed level signal to 2 up to 5 channels of amplification with volume control and want to introduce more sources you'll require a multi input AV Processor or Input switcher - again see the Power Buy section for info on the relatively affordable Atlantic Technology P-2000 7:1 unit we have as one option.

The Flying Mole units married with a high quality loudspeaker get close to the 'active' speaker model often used by professionals in sound monitoring, post and pre production studio's - the amplifiers are very small and can be 'attached' to the rear of your loudspeakers; this configuration is now offered by PMC with the excellent DB1S and TB2S 'active' monitors.

Drop me a PM if you require further info on any of the above.

Best regards

Joe

6. JES

JES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all, thanks for the help so far :thumbsup:

Daneel, Knightshade

I don't mind at all buying separates. Problem is, I live in Portugal, so for instance a lot of stores on the ex-dem site don't ship here. Some of the stores here in Portugal sell used/ex-dem items, so I'll have to deal with that. Nevertheless, I'd like (if it's not too much to ask :blush: ) to have some suggestions regarding the pre/processor and power amps for the type of music I like to listen. For movies I know that Meridian, Tag, Lexicon, Bryston, even Parasound are good. For the audio capabilities I want, I don't know. So if you could post some suggestions on specific models or model ranges, I'd surrely apreciate :D

John,

If I do buy new, your suggestions of course were on my top list, if nothing else to keep everything on the same brand (which has it's advantages, I believe). I'm not interested on multichannel audio from sources other than the DVD, so no problems there. If I understand you correctly, for now I'd buy the A90 integrated amp, no need for the power amp (P80/P90) right? Next year I'll build the rest of the system (surround and center speakers and sub) so only then would I need the powers and the multichannel module, right? I'll have a listen to this system, as well as the separates suggested meanwhile, and see what is the best for me (quality wise and cost wise).

Joe,

Thanks a lot for the suggestions and explanation. I understand the issue very clearly now. I'll also have a look more closely to what you suggested, just to see various types of system setups and how they influence the sound I want. I just wished PMC would have a supplier here in Portugal, since from what I read I'd like to have a listen to those speakers. Oh well, I'll have to start my company and represent them here :D

Thanks again for all the help so far. If you have more suggestions or specifics I'd appreciate a lot!

7. kraal

kraal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi JES,

I'm also from Portugal, you are registered in DVDMania?

For the PMC speakers, I think that you can find it in Audiopro www.audiopro.pt (under construction). They sell the Bryston too.

I'm thinking also to buy a processor in the future. All ones that you have indicated are good for audio (from my reads). The Bryston is known for having a very good bypass for stereo.

8. JES

JES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kraal,

Funny meeting you here ;) Yes, I'm registered on DVDMania and have posted a few things on the Hardware section recently, maybe you missed them. (I'll speak in english in respect of everyone else).

I'll have to take a look at Audiopro then, since I'm very curious about the PMC speakers. I'm going to start investigating possible models to be bought used (since in no way can I afford a Bryston new, for instance).

Thanks for your help,

9. kraal

kraal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, I have found you and yours posts ;) .
    If you find the PMCs there, say something.