Full Instructions for upgrading Humax HDR FOX-T2 to 2TB hard drive

3. The other question is: Why do this at all? Why not just use a small 2.5 notebook drive externally plugged in the back via usb? 1TB drive is about £60 for a WD. Which means a total of 1.5TB.
I can't see the advantage if installing a 2TB internal?
You can't record directly onto the USB drive - so you could shuffle recordings from the internal drive to the external drive but it takes a while over USB for even a single recording.

- Simon.

Best way is to find a time when you don't need the box, use edit mode in File Manager to select multiple recordings and let the box get on with it. HD recordings transfer to my 1TB drive at about 4 x real time (about 15mins for a 1 HR BBC HD recording) on a Foxsat-hdr. I assume here that the HDR FOX has a edit mode like the Foxsat-hdr

Just realised the HDR FOX is going to be slower with SD because it has to decrypt while copying.

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies and clarification. I don't think is a big issue that you cant record direct onto the USB device. As grahamlthompson says, you just need to pick your moments to copy across such as over night.

I still have not taken the plunge, but will do as soon as I have a moment, or my Pace Twin completely croaks it.

Interestingly there is a another seller on Ebay offering to supply/install 2TB drives as a service to existing boxes:
Humax FOX-T2 HDR 2TB PVR Hard Drive & Install Guide | eBay

£94.99 for 2TB installed which is not too bad. Good for them.

Andrew

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Is there a cable with which you could connect a usb external hard drive ( formatted appropiately) to the foxsat motherboard therefore using it as the foxsat main drive ?

Is there a cable with which you could connect a usb external hard drive ( formatted appropiately) to the foxsat motherboard therefore using it as the foxsat main drive ?

No but you can use an esata cable to record to a sata drive in a cradle or caddy mounted externally.

No but you can use an esata cable to record to a sata drive in a cradle or caddy mounted externally.

Ok, thanks; this option would work presumably providing the original internal hard drive is removed ( vacating the esata port) and the external drive (caddy) is suitable for the foxsat as I have noticed from other threads certain types of hard drive will not be suitable

edit: apologies if I have hijacked this thread,(not intended). mods please move if appropiate

Last edited:
Ok, thanks; this option would work presumably providing the original internal hard drive is removed ( vacating the esata port) and the external drive (caddy) is suitable for the foxsat as I have noticed from other threads certain types of hard drive will not be suitable

edit: apologies if I have hijacked this thread,(not intended). mods please move if appropiate

It's possible to use a pair of esata cables to connect an external sata disc or simply loop back into the box to re-connect the internal drive. The external drive has to use EXT3 and have the same partitions/folders as the original drive (Easiest way is simply to let the hdr format it). The recording schedule is on the HDD so if you wanted to substitute an external drive you will have to reschedule.

http://foxsatdisk.wikispaces.com/eSATA+loop+mod

Hi
Know this is old thread but I want to try an upgrade

Is it possible to get the screen shot link in post #10 fixed
It is giving a Not Found error

Thanks

:lease:

As my HD has failed i can not copy anything or look at the partitions - i assume i just need to create them as the right size or is there system data that needs to be copied?

Also as this was some time ago has there been any change in getting 3tb drives to work?

Upgrade to 4TB?

Running out of space on our 1TB Humax HDR Fox-T2 and with prospective procurement of a larger TV making HD recording worthwhile, we could do with a larger HDD. I’ve read brookheather's instructions (top of this thread) for a 2TB upgrade but wonder if 4TB would work OK. The natural successor to our current Seagate ST31000424CS, for 4TB, would seem to be an ST4000VM000 (although with 16 possible data streams it’s a bit over-specified). Looking at our present drive with Linux, the third partition only has 1.2 GB used out of 10.4 capacity, so perhaps we can assume this would be OK at the same size for a 4TB drive. I would appreciate some expert advice on this and any alternative HDD suggestions.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom