Full house rewire and alterations to layout

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by has2mow, Nov 14, 2017.

1. has2mow

has2mow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    Have finally found a sparky to do a full house rewire at a good day rate.

not up on latest tek, what would you wire up and run cables given the chance, its ceilings down and a lot of mess so do not want to miss anything if I can.

I will also be moving two walls if I can after a structural engineers visit this week, one to make the bathroom bigger and another to bring the kitchen through to the dinning room and closing of the lounge to the dinning room and making a feature wall for a TV and the projector screen.

So daunting of the amount of work to be done but sooooo excited also.

Will add a plan of proposed layout on floors, but some help on the electrics to future proof would be great.

2. has2mow

has2mow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
  3. aVdub

aVdub
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,319
    We dropped the height of our kitchen ceiling and hallway from 9ft 2in to 8ft and while open ran cables for summer house, exterior lighting and Poe camera's to outside wall and also interior Cat6 around the ground floor.

The kitchen have a few high level double sockets with USB and imo you can never have enough sockets and select a wall for the TV in the kitchen and run all sat/freeview/cat/usb cables.

4. has2mow

has2mow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    Cat 6 whats that ?

Poe cameras ? I have thought about alarm cables but not considered cameras.

Will do a floorpan of house to show proposed layout, will be rough sketch not able to do fancy graphs like some I wish I could.

5. aVdub

aVdub
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,319

The Cat6 is just network cable for me to run Power over Ethernet (POE) camera's outside and smart TV & the like inside.

Consider what you may want in the future and at least run it now.

6. has2mow

has2mow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    And thats the problem AV with tek of today I have no understanding of it and computers. I have been into sound and amps since I was a kid and do not want to miss out with some help and training its what you understand is easy.

For me I could turn a ploughed field into a golf course or a lawn into a top quality putting green but tek scary.

Will post some photos of rooms, but need some help thats for sure.

7. its_all_Greek

its_all_Greek
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,609
    Can i ask why you want to pay a day rate instead of paying him on a price?

My spider sense is tingling at why a good electrician would want to do a rewire on a day rate as well?

Lighting, lighting and lighting!

Sockets, plan the layout of your rooms and where you want equipment put sockets there. I like to have sockets on most walls just in case. Kitchen - lots of sockets if you think you need 10 put more in.

As has been said CAT 6 cables run them everywhere use it for the alarm, for cameras and carrying Signals that way if you need more in one area and chances are you will have a spare. Heating controls have a look at whats out there and decide on what you want now, that way the electrician can pull cables if required.

Multi room AV, run cables for speakers etc if you want or may want speakers anywhere.

Node Zero? do you want all your kit in one place for everything?

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. has2mow

has2mow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    The house is just an average 3 bed, I was getting quotes of between 5 to 7 k plus vat on some for just an average rewire using pendants as ceiling fittings so no luxury install.

The day rate I'm happy with as he will just do the electric side ,I will be doing all the chasing and he is happy for me to work along side of him so the job overall should work out way cheaper I hope, £200 a day all in.

9. rding

rding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    5-7k for a bog standard rewire!!!! That's obscene where in the country is this I think its time I moved. Joking aside what's he doing for the £200 a day and how many hours is that for? Is it cash or invoice? Also can he test it, sign it off and notify building control. Just be careful I get calls all the time from people who have had their mate from the pub do some work but now need it testing!

10. has2mow

has2mow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    Soory all for late reply been a tad busy.

He will need to give me all his certificates before he starts and I will check them out, if I get 6 hours work a day I'm happy if he wants to be on his phone every 5 minutes he won't last long.

You need to remember that this job will take place over xmas and through to the new year, not pushing pressure on the job to get it done by a certain date, and will get by till I am up and running and if he wants to work over the xmas new year period fine by me.

Managed to get a plumber also lined up for a refit shall be a interesting xmas.

11. has2mow

has2mow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    Sorry for the late reply so much going on.

Thank you for reply I had not thought about alarms or cameras, I am planning a feature wall for tv and screen and maybe putting an av cupboard in the corner would you fire all cables to that point or stick the av bits there and fire the rest to the hall?

Also just thought of I may as well wire for atmos whilst I'm at it but where to start.

Will get a floor plan up so maybe some folk could give some views.

12. has2mow

has2mow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    Got a week of next week to demolish two walls and get the ceilings down downstairs, thought this may help:rotfl: IMG_0699.jpg

13. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    £200/day?

Probably wont be far off 5-7k by the time he has eased himself through it.

14. has2mow

has2mow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    And if he thinks doing half a days work for a full days pay he won't be seeing the following day and will be retired.

He gave the price not me.