Full house rewire - advice please

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by adamCCC, Apr 7, 2016.

1. adamCCC

adamCCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hello,

I'm getting my house rewired and going to take the opportunity to run cables to the living room etc. Any advice/tips to help me plan before I give the electrician the go ahead to start would be great.

It's a chalet bungalow. The rooms of interest will be a computer room/study, living room downstairs and the main bedroom upstairs.

This is what I was thinking:

Computer room
    • 2 ethernet sockets
    Living room
    • 4 ethernet sockets (for tv, android box, console, sky box)
    • 1 aerial connection
    • 1 satellite connection
    • maybe run an hdmi from the computer room to the living room
    Bedroom
    • 3x ethernet
    • 1 aerial
    • 1 sat
    I was thinking about getting faceplates for all these, like the pictures below.
    I'm not sure how home networks should be set up, but I presume if I put the router in the hall(along with the phone line connection), with an ethernet switch, id just get all these cables routed to the hall?

Are there any other things to consider? Or extra things I should get installed etc? As i mentioned above, its a full rewire so now is the time!

Thanks in advance for any input :)

p.s. normal cat6 should be ok as the cable won't be travelling too far, is that right?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jshailes

jshailes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    How did you get on? We've just bought a house and looking to do something very similar. Do you have any advice from the work you did?

3. adamCCC

adamCCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi

We installed 10 cat7 cables in total (i know cat7 is overkill but it was only about £15 more expensive overall than cat6 - and considering its going to be a permanent fixture inside the walls, I thought it was worth it!)

Theres 4 going to the living room, 3 to the computer room and 3 to the bedroom. Aerial connections were also installed at these locations.

We also got the house wired for an alarm system at the same time (saved on some installation costs from the alarm company).

I have a hdmi cable and usb cable running from the computer room to the living room - for easily streaming stuff from the pc to the main tv in the living room - but mainly for connecting to and playing games!

Also put in a few aux extension cables in the living room and bedroom, for tv watching thru headphones at night time.

If i were to give any advice, it would be to get more than you think you need, because you will only be doing this once. If you are having surround sound etc, get all these wires installed as well.

Adam

4. simo2004

simo2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    doing the same so ill tag along lol

guess you run these cat7 back to a switch to share your internet etc

5. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Be warned that Cat7 is harder to run and terminate , and if not terminated to cat7 outlets/patch panels you wont get the advantage anyway

Id stick with Cat6 UTP Solid Core not CCA

3 x CAT6 to each TV location plus ideally 2 x WEBPRO WF100 Coax (for aerial or satellite connection)
    You can then potentially have your HDMI sources centrally located and distribute to all TVs over a single Cat6 using HDBaseT extenders, splitters or matrixes. 2nd Cat6 for SMart TV function connected to your router and 3rd as a spare

6. adamCCC

adamCCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    In what way are they harder to terminate? Want to make sure its done right!

7. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Cat7 is thicker cable, really should only be terminated into cat7 modules/Patch panels with shielding.

If the shielding isnt done correctly you will potentially create more potential interference rather than less.