Answered Full house renovation - cabling advice for Cat6 and coax

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Jon2016, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Jon2016

Jon2016
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all - I'm currently in the process of renovating our newly purchased house and after reading many of these forums, think I've come up with my ideal layout but I wanted to run it past a few people to have another pair of eyes to see if there's anything I've missed - any advice is much appreciated! I've also attached diagrams so that you can see how it's laid out.

Background: 3 bedroom Victorian terraced house with negligible garden - currently with Virgin media broadband

Requirements:
    - Future proof so that we can switch from either Virgin Media or Sky (assuming Sky Q) for TV in the future.
    - Limited hardwired ethernet ports but instead have a hardwired backbone with UAP-AC-LITE extenders. (I had a previous place with hardwired ports in and just didn't use them)
    - No TVs in front or middle bedroom (unfortunately floor is already down but we wouldn't watch TV in here anyway) but we would have a TV in the back room

Proposal
    Network
    - WF100 from Virgin media broadband entry point through to a cupboard in the middle room where it connects to the VM hub.
    - VM hub connected to a patch panel within the middle reception room which in turn is connected to a switch (possibly in a mini rack?)
    - 1 x Cat 6 cable running up to the floor of the 1st floor where it will be dropped back through to mount a Uniquiti AC LITE onto the kitchen ceiling (Ubiquiti Networks - UniFi® AP AC LITE) - *see diagram attached*
    - 1 x Cat 6 cable running up the the roof of the 1st floor where an AC Lite will be attached to the ceiling
    - 2 x Cat 6 cables running to the front reception room
    - 2 x Cat 6 cables for the middle reception room (although obviously with the switch here, we could have more)
    - 2 x telephone cables from front reception to middle reception so if we go Sky broadband (or someone else) in the future, we can still have the router in the middle room. (I did question if we needed two?)

TV
    - 1 x aerial cable running into an amplifier and then split for the middle reception with another WF100 coax being taken up to the back bedroom and a separate WF100 cable taken to the front reception
    - Patch panel used for the coax cables running to each room - aerial amplifier would plug into the relevant plugs on the patch panel
    - 2 x WF100 coax run from the VM entry point to the patch panel in the middle reception. Although VM doesn't require this, I believe Sky Q would still need two coax, hence future proofing. If we did go with Sky Q, we would have patch cable from the panel to the Sky Q box....

Why aren't we using wired ethernet more?
    I've tried to account for where Sonos etc. would be and also extending the wireless range by having a wired backbone but in the last house, we spend a lot of time putting in a Cat5e network and didn't really use it too much. With the access points and also what we use the network for, I don't think we need it. Where we do need the speed (i.e. to watch netflix), there will be a wired connection to the TV.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Cheers,
    Jon

Coax diagram
    Coax.png
    Cat6 diagram
    Cat6.png

2. Best Answer:
    Post #6 by Member 581642, Sep 19, 2016 (1 points)
  3. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Sorry if it should be obvious from above but how many rooms do you want to distribute the Virgin box to ?

Seb

4. Jon2016

Jon2016
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Seb, no - not at all, thanks for responding :)! It would be the front or middle reception for any TV. With the back bedroom, we're just anticipating using freeview/netflix etc.
    With the middle room, that's why I've got the twin coax from the Virgin box (I know VM only needs one but had put the second cable there for Sky Q if we ever changed in the future). For the front reception, because of where the cupboards are, we could connect straight to the settop box or if Sky came in, they would likely put the cables through that wall and we could connect their settop box straight to their cables.

The single coax from the Virgin box to the hub is for the internet which is then distributed via the Wireless access points.....

Just a point too - the reason I haven't got a separate VM tv box is that we currently only get broadband through them - however, I would like the option in the future!

Cheers,
    Jon

5. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    To be honest I would still run 3 x Cat6 and a Wf100 to each room for future proofing, little cost now against needing it later after decoration.

Seb

6. Jon2016

Jon2016
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok - thanks Seb - much appreciated! Does the rest of the logic look pretty solid in terms of cables going into the node zero area (in the middle reception)?

7. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Best Answer
    Yes seems logical