Full HD Tv for Standard Definition & Xbox 360?

Lankz

Novice Member
for no higher than £400?

one that has a great picture quality (has to be better than my LE37R87BDX) and that doesnt make buzzing noises?? so preferably an LCD..

Tv would be used for:

Standard Definition Sky (Scart)
Xbox 360 via HDMI
DVD Movies (via Xbox 360)

ive already sent back the LE40D580 (poor picture quality) and the PS43D450 (excessive buzzing noise, very annoying)

the only reason i want a new tv is for it to be better than the 5 year old LE37R87BDX i have.. or will i not find a superior tv for £400?? :(

Last edited:

johndoe1

good on you for sending them back m8, you shouldnt have to put up with buzzing or poor picture. I hope someone who is up to date can give you some good advice.

Lankz

Novice Member
good on you for sending them back m8, you shouldnt have to put up with buzzing or poor picture. I hope someone who is up to date can give you some good advice.

Thankyou.. im wondering though, is it im not getting a tv with a better picture quality than my LE37R87BDX because when i bought it it was £800?? (even though it was over 4 years ago)

i thought all the newest Full HD tvs would be better than my 4 year old one, lol..

i dont want to go over £400 :(

Last edited:

AlandEi

Novice Member
Cheaper LCD full HD sets, may have a poorer standard definition picture than your old set.

Alan.

Lankz

Novice Member
Cheaper LCD full HD sets, may have a poorer standard definition picture than your old set.

Alan.

Really? Thankyou for the reply..

i will probably Upgrade to Sky+ HD after the New Year anyway, so i dont mind putting up with it until then, aslong as the HD picture is stunning, both via Sky+ HD & Xbox 360 picture also..

its just i bought the LE40D580 and the HD picture was poorer than my LE37R87BDX aswell, even though it was FULL HD :( and you are right the Standard definition picture was awful.. i just couldnt understand how the Full HD picture was so poor..

vickster

Distinguished Member
I am not sure that you should expect an entry level 40" TV (which is what £400 will get you) should be far better than a smaller TV that cost you twice as much only a few years ago :confused:

Mass production is one reason why TVs cost less now, but reduction in quality of the parts used will be another major factor in my view. Nowadays, everyone wants loads of smart features and fancy inputs in their TVs and all this costs money to develop and produce, R&D costs as well as the parts and labour for this stuff needs to be recouped somehow by lowering quality in other places, e.g. the panels, the materials, the construction, attention to detail etc. Not to mention the swanky marketing, sponsorship of football teams :rolleyes:

I am such a cynic! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Lankz

Novice Member
I am not sure that you should expect an entry level 40" TV (which is what £400 will get you) should be far better than a smaller TV that cost you twice as much only a few years ago :confused:

Mass production is one reason why TVs cost less now, but reduction in quality of the parts used will be another major factor in my view. Nowadays, everyone wants loads of smart features and fancy inputs in their TVs and all this costs money to develop and produce, R&D costs as well as the parts and labour for this stuff needs to be recouped somehow by lowering quality in other places, e.g. the panels, the materials, the construction, attention to detail etc. Not to mention the swanky marketing, sponsorship of football teams :rolleyes:

I am such a cynic! :rolleyes:

lol, yeah im not quite bothered about Freeview built in, or "Smart" tvs, which you can plug your camera into to view pictures on the screen.. baffles me!

i just want a tv with great picture! lol..

if anyone knows of a Full HD tv with a superb picture please let me know :)

like i say, i dont care about other features.. a tv should be a tv and thats it :)

vickster

Distinguished Member
How about looking at the Panasonic plasmas - 42S30 around £400, and the ST30 is now only £500!

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
How about looking at the Panasonic plasmas - 42S30 around £400, and the ST30 is now only £500!

With Vickster on both her last posts:smashin: S30 is an under rated set overshadowed by the low price of the G30 and 3D ST30, very good set and frankly amazing for the money, way cheaper than last years S20. 500 for the ST30 at RS is a heck of a bargain.

Lankz

Novice Member
With Vickster on both her last posts:smashin: S30 is an under rated set overshadowed by the low price of the G30 and 3D ST30, very good set and frankly amazing for the money, way cheaper than last years S20. 500 for the ST30 at RS is a heck of a bargain.

but do they buzz??

i just sent back the Samsung PS43D450 drove me crazy :( lol..

theyre Plasma tv's also..

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Sadly both plasma and LCDs can buzz loudly, my V20 x2 buzzed badly last year, my GT30 buzzes but you cant hear it with normal/quite viewing.

Ether buy online as you get 7 days to return the set(distance selling regs), or buy from a good dealer who will replace if you get a buzzer.

Lankz

Novice Member
Sadly both plasma and LCDs can buzz loudly, my V20 x2 buzzed badly last year, my GT30 buzzes but you cant hear it with normal/quite viewing.

Well my LE37R87BDX doesnt make an absolute sound, neither did the LE40D580 i sent back (but the picture was poorer than the R87 so i sent it back as im only after a better tv or its pointles buying a new one) and they were both LCD's..

so i bought my 1st Plasma instead (PS43D450) and sent that back as the buzzing irritated the heck out of me! :(

which is really why i want an LCD, as ive never heard a sound from them..

looks like im not going to get one though which has a better picture quality than my R87 for around £400 :(

vickster

Distinguished Member
Look at the S30 while you're there ;)

vickster

Distinguished Member
Plasma - 2D - in order, bottom up - U, S, G (1080p)
3D - UT, ST, GT, VT

LCD - C3b (720p), U3b
Edgelit LED - 2D - E3b, E30
3D LED - DT

Lankz

Novice Member
Ohhh now i get it :) lol.. thanks always wondered this!

does the newest, highest number not neccasarily mean its a better tv though?

for eg. i bought the D580 because it was newer than the C580, but turned out to be poorer..

Last edited:

vickster

Distinguished Member
Usually there is improvement - but as said, it may be in smart features, 3D, whatever. The C580 wasn't the greatest either - suffered some blur, didn't support 24p for blu-ray

Lankz

Novice Member
Usually there is improvement - but as said, it may be in smart features, 3D, whatever. The C580 wasn't the greatest either - suffered some blur, didn't support 24p for blu-ray

Yeah good point, i suppose if the newest is around the same price then it would be best to go with the newest then..

thanks for the help guys.. hopefully this time i get one that i keep! lol

vickster

Distinguished Member
Given how long you have been looking, have you been able to save up and increase the budget? ;) Happy shopping

Lankz

Novice Member
Given how long you have been looking, have you been able to save up and increase the budget? ;) Happy shopping

I havent, lol.. as ive just been getting a new tv with the refunded money off the returned ones, plus its xmas :p

i could wait til new year i guess and hope a few come down in price.. im just impatient! lol..

do you think it would be a good idea to wait until January though? will a few tvs drop in price??

looks like i wont get a picture with a better PQ than my R87 for £400 :( so i guess ill have to up my budget after all..

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021