1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full HD res Vidikron 80

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Muf, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I just spotted this, don't know when it hit the market. Has anyone got a price on it.
    1920 x 1080 D-ILA
    1050 ANSI lumens
    2100:1 Contrast

http://www.vidikron.com/vision80.html

Looks like a DLP killer.

Jim.

2. Member 14847

Member 14847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Retail price will be £22300. Don't know about availability yet.

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Availability of 22K? Or the PJ?

...PJ :)

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Better get all your pre-orders in lads!!

:D

5. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Perhaps we could get heavy discounts if we got multiple buyers together on here :)

6. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The current range of 3 Chip DLPs from Infocus/Marantz/Sim2 etc offer twice the brightness and twice the contrast of these figures so I don't see this as a DLP killer just yet.

Jeff :rtfm:

7. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Looks like a DLP killer.

Possibly not

8. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    i think MUF was reffering to the fact that the current top DMDs are running at 1280x720... whilst this baby runs at 1920x1080 which means running 1080p without the need for a scaler - nice...

sure thing Ti is working on the next-gen DMD running at that same res!

9. Member 14847

Member 14847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I don't think this will be particularly revolutionary at this sort of price. The JVC HD2K has been around for months and is half the price. There's a few of them out there (very nice they are too) but the market for this type of product is relatively small and so there isn't the pricing pressure you get in larger markets so prices don't drop as quickly.

10. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    ... actually i was wondering howcome JVC don't have a pj with that D-ILA... since they produce it !!! thanks for pointing it out (the JVC HD2K that is!)

11. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The Vidikron isn't really meant to be a revolutionary priced product, it's meant to represent the ultimate implementation of it's technology (for instance their 1024x576 DLP is £4k+ and is absolutely astonishing, but that money gets you 720p DLP and change from other manufacturers!). LCOS technology in general is definitely something to use the "DLP beating" statement about, whether we're talking about the best of the bunch (Vidikrons £26k Model 80) or some of the nicer priced offerings. Epsons D5 panel is complete - Fujitsu are launching a projector using the Epson chip coupled with AVM-II that will go out at around £17k. Am not sure what the Epson offering is gonna be like. And Sony's Qualia is near a UK launch where early indications are that it is nothing short of outstanding. These are all projectors that offer 3-chip 1080p LCOS for equivalent 3-chip 720p DLP money. We're not shaking up the cheap and cheerful end of the market here just yet, but at the other end of the spectrum DLP is well and truly rattled (and rightly so).

To compare the on-paper spec of projectors in this price range and to discount the Vidikron because of this is ludicrous. By that logic nobody should buy Sim2 then - they quote some of the lowest contrast and brightness figures around, even tho they are also amongst the best DLPs around! By the same logic again nothing is better than the Sony HS50 with 6000:1 contrast, 720p res and a claimed 1200 ANSI...

I've not seen the 80 (am hoping to at the end of this month, will be on public show at CEDIA in June) but I did have the privalege of the Model 60 a couple of weeks ago. I think it's safe to say we can start throwing around that DLP killer statement again cos this projector is something else. It's not gonna suit everyone mainly because of the killer price tag which raises it way above other LCOS models on the market. Although this does include pre-calibration at the factory to their CSMS standard (http://www.vidikron.com/csms_info.html) which I've no doubt will need further adjustment to fine-tune but is essentially the same as JVC's pre-calibration to D65. And it is still competitively priced in comparison to 3-chip, but only 720p resolution DLPs.

There is apparently a more linear colour temperature curve and gradation ability with DiLA over DLP technologies. In what I saw this wasn't immediately noticeable and is possibly a load of old salesmans guff when applied to real world implementations, but there again, there was a finish to the picture that I just haven't seen before. Just so well balanced between getting brightness and grayscales right, without affecting colour performance at all. Blacks were true, deep black, detail within was impressive without feeling forced, and outstanding colour rendition and clarity. Unfortunately as I don't really have a benchmark for comparison nor the opportunity to stick this side by side with other LCOS models, or a big 3-chip DLP, I can't be sure if this was just impressive in it's own right and how it fairs in comparison to the rest of the market. I am excited though and can only imagine how good the 1080p model looks! The processing in the 60 (this Imagix thing) was really second to none in terms of what other manufacturers have included within their projectors before. Don't know anything about the technology, any stats, who produces the processor etc, but my eyes tell me it's **** hot! With a 1920x1080 I can only imagine what it is capable of. What constantly remained in the back of my head though, was that the Model 60 is a 788p 3-chip LCOS that lists at £10 grand, the closest competition being the similarly priced Sim2 300Link - single-chip 720p DLP suffering the odd rainbow artefact, and colour wheel judder. Would love to see the two next to each other, or at least in close enough proximity to compare the two. Bring on CEDIA 2005!!!!! It's time for the big boys to fight it out!