Full HD or not?

lexmeister2

Novice Member
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find an exact answer for what I was looking for.......

Anyway, I'm looking to buy a 40" LCD at the moment but am unsure what screen resolution to go for.

My issue is that this TV is going to go in a back room, and as such will never be getting an HD signal of any sort - possibly an upscaling DVD player at some point, but mostly SD stuff (freeview, etc.)

Therefore, if I'm only viewing a picture that has 500 or so lines, will I get a better picture with a 1366x768 screen or with a 1920x1080 screen?

The difference in cost is not a big issue, more that I'd like to get the screen that would give me the better picture under these circumstances.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

daz_man83

Novice Member
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find an exact answer for what I was looking for.......

Anyway, I'm looking to buy a 40" LCD at the moment but am unsure what screen resolution to go for.

My issue is that this TV is going to go in a back room, and as such will never be getting an HD signal of any sort - possibly an upscaling DVD player at some point, but mostly SD stuff (freeview, etc.)

Therefore, if I'm only viewing a picture that has 500 or so lines, will I get a better picture with a 1366x768 screen or with a 1920x1080 screen?

The difference in cost is not a big issue, more that I'd like to get the screen that would give me the better picture under these circumstances.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

If your not going to be feeding it a decent HD source a 1080p 40" might be a bit of a waste!, nevertheless you will get the best possible picture upclose from a 1080p FULL HD screen, id recommend the new samsung LE40M87BD!

JENeric

Novice Member
My advice is to sick with 1366 x 768 res. There's simply no point in buying a 1080 panel if all you are using it for is SD.

S

SquintingBadger

Why not just buy a much cheaper SD panel, maybe even plasma.

Spafon

Even on the best and most expensive sets, the difference between 1080i and 1080p is absolutely minimal for most viewers. Indeed, I'd bet a very large percentage of viewers wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two formats.

And as TV programmes aren't currently being broadcast in 1080p, and I believe there's no likelihood they're going to be any time soon, then I'd advise you not to waste your money.

lexmeister2

Novice Member
Thanks for all the replies :thumbsup:

Sorry if I'm asking the same question again, but putting aside everything other than pure picture quality, will the SD picture look better on a 768 screen or a 1080 screen?

My concern is that with a 1080 screen, there's many more pixels to fill in, so with SD material, the picture will actually be worse than with a 768 screen due to lots of "filling"

Does anyone have any comment on this? :confused:

skillian97

Novice Member
My concern is that with a 1080 screen, there's many more pixels to fill in, so with SD material, the picture will actually be worse than with a 768 screen due to lots of "filling"
I think your assumption is correct, and as a general rule you'd get a better picture with a lower resolution screen. Remember though, there's a lot more to picture quality than resolution, so the individual model of TV will likely be more important.

To be honest I'd think a plasma would be best for your use - 1024x768 res, and generally better at masking flaws in low resolution programming.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom