Full HD LED 100 HZ or Plasma 600HZ

obi604

Standard Member
Reaction score
First time poster so go easy on me.

I know yee are are probably sick to the back teeth of seeing questions like this, but this particular decision is doing my head in. One minute I'm plasma, the next minute LED and vice versa, I just can't make my mind up and its p1ssin me off :)

The TV would be used mainly for watching sport and general television viewing. I have a HD set top box.........but only a small percentage of the channels are HD so I would probably spend most of my time just watching standard definition channels.
The room im in is not terribly bright
I will not be putting it on a wall.

Im looking for the TV with the clearest picture quality.

Im not in to gaming, Blu ray, 3d, smart tv etc

If the price was roughly around the same and based on what I say above, what TV would you choose :

1. 50 inch Plasma, 1080 P, 600HZ - LG

2. 46 inch LED, 1080 P, 100 HZ - Samsung.

Last edited:
Considering you can get the Panasonic TX-P50GT50 at John Lewis just now with 5p change out of £800 then that's what I would recommend you go for. I paid considerably more for mine and don't regret my purchase in the slightest.

Cheers,

Martin.

p.s. Welcome to the forums. :)

Considering you can get the Panasonic TX-P50GT50 at John Lewis just now with 5p change out of £800 then that's what I would recommend you go for. I paid considerably more for mine and don't regret my purchase in the slightest.

Cheers,

Martin.

p.s. Welcome to the forums. :)

Martin, thanks for the welcome and thanks for the reply : )

So your saying a Plasma but go Panasonic

And essentially your saying, for the best picture for my needs Plasma would be best ?

Martin, thanks for the welcome and thanks for the reply : )

So your saying a Plasma but go Panasonic

And essentially your saying, for the best picture for my needs Plasma would be best ?

Hi, what I am really saying is that the model I mentioned should be part of your considerations. However, you must always remember that one man's meat is another man's poison, so go and have a look at one working, but do bear in mind that, in most stores, the LED backlit LCD will always be more eyecatching due to the extra brightness they usually display, but do also remember that, in a home environment, the plasma offers a more natural picture.

Whichever way you decide to go, I wish you the best of luck. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Martin.

Thanks again Martin for that un biased reply. Most people on forums are either all for LED or all for plasma, but your opinion is refreshing.

I suppose the thing thats really catching/confusing me is the quoted figures for the HZ

So the LED = 100 HZ
Plasma = 600 HZ

So looking from the outside in and a simple manner, one would think " oh look the HZ of the plasma is 6 times better than the hz of the LED " > and so must be better at displaying moving images etc.

However I think from reading forums that this figure is not comparable i.e the refresh rate on the plasma is not 6 times ( 600 V 100 ) better than the LED - as the plasma has a different way of calculating its hz figure compared to LED..........I think :)

But I always hear that for watching sport, the plasma with its *supposed * higher hz refresh rate is better , so im all confused : ))

Hi again. I must say that I agree that all those numbers can be really confusing and that's why I strongly recommend that you go look at different types/models because, at the end of the day, it's your money that's being spent and you'll be the one watching it.

Search the review section of these forums where you'll get some really good information but, make sure you demo anything before splashing the cash.

This will be my last post here today as I am currently sitting beside a pool in Costa Adeje but will be getting picked up soon for the flight home - all good things must come to an end, eh?

So, again, best of luck in coming to the right decision (for you)!

Cheers,

Martin.

‘oh look the HZ of the plasma is 6 times better than the hz of the LED' – which is exactly the response the marketing depts (who have no clue about the relative merits of these numbers) want you to think!

These figures all relate to image processing which happens once your images arrive within the Display – your content is either 50Hz, 60Hz or 24p depending on what you are watching.

‘The TV would be used mainly for watching sport' – that is often the killer requirement, horizontal motion can be dreadful on many flat panel TV's.

As Martin has alluded to remember your 50” ‘LED' is an LCD TV with LED edge or back lighting – true LED is very much more expensive than the Display you are considering and being 1st Generation is one for the ‘early adopters'.

Plenty of good TV reviews here on AVF

3D Plasma Television Reviews | AVForums.com - UK Online

3D Plasma Television and 3D LCD Television and 3D LED Television Reviews | AVForums.com - UK Online

Joe

Last edited:
Last edited:
‘So you think for my viewing distances that a 50 inch is too big?’ – lots of ways to look at your conundrum!

Viewing distance - some folk would find it OK others too ‘in your face’.

SD Source material – you say that SD broadcasts will be your main diet!

SD on a budget, 50”, 1920x1080 Full HD display at 6’ has all the makings of a horrible image.

SD on a decent quality 42” HD Ready Display is preferable (to my eyes) over the fuzzy mess you are likely to be viewing at 6’ on a poor quality 50” Full HD Display!

HD on a 42” HD Ready display is visibly better than SD so you are not ‘losing out’ when the display has to down res your HD sources.

Joe

Fair points Joe, but in my eyes, this is not a budget TV, if I was looking for a budget TV id be spending 300 pounds and get a black diamond or a walker : ))

Last edited:
Lest go back to the AVF reviews 

The Panasonic TX-P50VT65 has just been reviewed as ‘Reference’ quality and is going to cost you around £1.8K - Panasonic VT65 (VT60) TX-P50VT65B 3D Plasma TV Review | AVForums.com - UK Online

The Panasonic TX-P50GT60B has recently been reviewed as ‘Excellent’ and received a Best Buy at £1.4K – Panasonic TX-P50GT60B 3D Plasma Television Review | AVForums.com - UK Online

Therefore I can’t see how a £600 50” PDP can be seen as anything other than a ‘budget’ model ;)

Joe

Ah jaysus, these prices are way too high for me, maybe I need to re think my budget or get a better job so I can afford a 1.4 K TV : ))

all joking aside though, I couldnt justify spending that much on a TV
I think this forum maybe a bit advanced for me, yee are experts in all this, im just a novice just looking for TV with a decent picture

Last edited:
Hi, back in the UK now, for better or worse.

Anyway, reading the posts by Joe and yourself, again leads me to say that you need to demo TVs which are in your budget and choose the one that suits you best. I would also say that, personally, I am biased towards plasma, as I firmly believe that they offer a more natural picture.

Cheers,

Martin.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

AVF – assuming you can’t go see the kit you are linking to in a properly configured demo suite with controlled lighting running a range of SD and HD content from your typical viewing distance then use the AVF Reviews :smashin:

TV Specs – tell you absolutely zero in terms of the image processing ability of any TV.

Budget – the Panasonic X60 linked to in Post #11 can be had for £399 (42”) and £499 (50”) from John Lewis (Inc 5 yr. Warranty).

Televisions | 3D, LED & Smart TVs with 5 Year Guarantee | John Lewis

Joe

Seems a lot of money to be shelling out for mainly SD viewing ?

Are you not interested in maybe starting to watch more HD or blu ray?

Its def worth it but as sport in HD superb, blu ray too, just hate to see folk waste money on tech they wont use?

That being said, I've always used plasma and hgh end panasonics too, but now switched to LED as i wanted a change and more vibrant experience.

For sport, LED not as good in my eyes, no contest. I've got the F6 series Samsung as fast motion is a slight struggle.

My 3 year old Panasonic plasma handled this better.

But the Blu ray movie and 3d performance worth it for me.

Best seeing them for yourself as our eyes work differently and some people just dont notice. My Dad for example, v old 720p plasma and still thrilled with pic quality and cant see a difference versus mine...im jealous actually wish i couldn't tell either!

Long story short, I dont think you should be looking at expensive tv's for your usage and if you must, id recommend plasma (and im an led user now not some fan boy)

Oh and as someone mentioned, careful with the SD performance on some of these tv's as, although you or I wouldnt class as budget, in the grand scheme of things and their position in the range, they are (oh to be rich eh)

i.e it may be LED but the picture might look worse than your current tv and annoy you

Nick, excellent reply , I added some comments and yet more questions :)))

Seems a lot of money to be shelling out for mainly SD viewing ? OBI : You could be right

Are you not interested in maybe starting to watch more HD or blu ray? OBI : Well I have a HD subscription from my TV provider, I have about 150 channels, but only 20 of them are broadcast in HD, but some of the HD channels offered are stupid ones ( to me anyways )
Im in Ireland so we are a bit behind with HD. And im actually thinking of buying a blu ray player so will get some use outta that, cause from what I hear blu ray seems to be very good. In saying all this, I dont really watch that many normal DVD's anyways.

Its def worth it but as sport in HD superb, blu ray too, just hate to see folk waste money on tech they wont use? OBI : as above, have limited HD channels but thats the story for most people in Ireland, unless they have more funky ways of getting HD channels, im just with the equivalent of sky in Ireland

That being said, I've always used plasma and hgh end panasonics too, but now switched to LED as i wanted a change and more vibrant experience.

For sport, LED not as good in my eyes, no contest. I've got the F6 series Samsung as fast motion is a slight struggle.

My 3 year old Panasonic plasma handled this better. OBI : interesting

But the Blu ray movie and 3d performance worth it for me. OBI : Would blu ray be ok on Full HD plasma ? I presume it would be fine for me anyways

Best seeing them for yourself as our eyes work differently and some people just dont notice. My Dad for example, v old 720p plasma and still thrilled with pic quality and cant see a difference versus mine...im jealous actually wish i couldn't tell either!

Long story short, I dont think you should be looking at expensive tv's for your usage and if you must, id recommend plasma (and im an led user now not some fan boy) OBI : thanks for the unbiased advice : ) Im not a TV expert or anything and im not in to paying an awful lot of money for a TV, do you think a 50 inch plasma like mentioned above would have a very bad picture sitting 8ft away from it - I know it depends on the input but surely coudlnt be that bad.

Oh and as someone mentioned, careful with the SD performance on some of these tv's as, although you or I wouldnt class as budget, in the grand scheme of things and their position in the range, they are (oh to be rich eh) OBI : Understood

i.e it may be LED but the picture might look worse than your current tv and annoy you

‘I know it depends on the input but surely couldn't be that bad’ – that would be a very dangerous assumption, there are plenty of ‘budget’ 50” Displays (of all tech variations) with horrible video processing.

SD broadcasts on an HD Ready or Full HD Display can be quite a challenge - much more so for the Full HD display where there is a huge amount of 'made up' information required to fill all 1920x1080 pixels from a 720x576 source signal!

Down converting HD broadcasts or BD to an HD Ready Display is a more than acceptable compromise where you are working to a budget for the Display.

'im just a novice just looking for TV with a decent picture' - pretty much sums all of us up!

Joe

‘I know it depends on the input but surely couldn't be that bad’ – that would be a very dangerous assumption, there are plenty of ‘budget’ 50” Displays (of all tech variations) with horrible video processing.

SD broadcasts on an HD Ready or Full HD Display can be quite a challenge - much more so for the Full HD display where there is a huge amount of 'made up' information required to fill all 1920x1080 pixels from a 720x576 source signal!

Down converting HD broadcasts or BD to an HD Ready Display is a more than acceptable compromise where you are working to a budget for the Display.

'im just a novice just looking for TV with a decent picture' - pretty much sums all of us up!

Joe

+1 !

Obi - I dont watch a huge amount of live broadcast HD either. BBC HD for the f1 and motogp and iplayer. Sometimes comedy central and fox but not huge amount. F1 transformed by HD along with the moto gp (when its shown on the hd channel)

Blu ray for me is when the tv's show their worth, we like our movies. But again, if you dont watch a lot of DVD's either would you necessarily watch more blu ray content?

Blu ray would be excellent on a full HD plasma (you mean 1080p not HD ready 720p?) Thats what I came from and they looked excellent. Plasma much more natural colour wise but not as vibrant as led.

On your last point, in my opinion 8 feet from a 50" tv with SD content would be a bad move. I sit about 8-10 feet from a 46" (just moved up from 42") and I am noticing the pic quality on HD content. Not on blu ray but on tv channels its borderline. (in my opinion)

As Joe says, SD broadcasts on modern tv's can be quite bad too.

Joe, thanks again

Nick,

I might watch more blu rays if I got a taste for them : )

*****, I may have to re think what im at if the 50 Inch TV and sitting 6-8 Foot away from it is bad.

never easy............

Actually my viewing distance is 9ft - just double checked it there

Is this viewing distance still too small for a 46 or 50 inch TV ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom