Full HD (1080p+3d), 50"+, £1k budget. What to get?

Not a clue

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

The time has come for me to upgrade my TV, but - as the username suggests - I don't have a clue what set to get, nor what I'm really looking for. My requirements are:

• 50" or greater screen size
  • Full 1080p and full 3D HD (I saw the thread about the Samsung 6 series being half res in 3D)
  • Will be used for Blu-rays, gaming and (possibly) a PC monitor.
  • Budget is around £1k
  • Able to convert 2D -> 3D (though I imagine most screens do this now anyway?)

About all I do know is that if I do use it as a PC monitor then that effectively rules out a plasma - but I'm flexible on that (I might just move my PC to another room with my existing screen).

So what should I be considering? I do also need a 3D BR player too, incidentally.

Thanks!

In the exact same boat mate, apart from the PC use. Considering the Panasonic P50ST50.. would have gone for the GT50 but apparently it doesn't add much (or is this not true?)

It is a nightmare trying to find something - you look at one thing then see something else. I'm unsure whether I should wait until January, or get a mid-range set to last me a year or so or spend big now. Mind you, even mid-range sets are more than half my budget - I've had a look at an LG 47LM620 screen, which John Lewis have for £750, which is a price that would mean I wouldn't be upgrading for a little while.

Obviously shops want to have the latest stock so where do they shift last year's stuff? I'd be happy to pay more around £500 for a decent panel that is 12 months or so old, but other than the hit-and-miss of the clearance stuff at Richer Sounds, where would I find new (as in not second-hand) stuff?

What sort of PC use we talking about? Plasma will be fine for games and films.
Id look at the ST50 or Samsung E6500. Ill be buying one or tuther next year. Pros and cons of both makes, go get yourself some demos.

I can't believe RS are still pushing LGs, not that they're bad sets but they aren't the best IMO.

Obviously shops want to have the latest stock so where do they shift last year's stuff? I'd be happy to pay more around £500 for a decent panel that is 12 months or so old, but other than the hit-and-miss of the clearance stuff at Richer Sounds, where would I find new (as in not second-hand) stuff?

Last year's NEW stuff would have been mostly long since sold now , all discontinued manufacturer at start of year

The only thing to do, is find a model you like and stick the number in Google, or something like Pricerunner. You can find older new TVs on fleabay but not that cheap.

Probably missed the boat mainly I am afraid - couple of months late for the 2011 'bargains'

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom