Full bungalow conversion with AV distribution

pompeydean

Established Member
Reaction score
Having seen the various projects on here over the last few years, I am finally in possession of a project of my own! I'm hoping that at least some of what I've read has stuck, and that I'll be able to replicate some of it!

We have recently completed on a 3 bed detached bungalow, and plan to rip everything out and start again. We are aiming to extend to the rear and up into the loft, renewing everything throughout as we go.
My aim is to get the whole place networked for AV and as 'future proof' as possible.

Here it is:
ImageUploadedByAVForums1449701244.779211.jpg

Layout:
ImageUploadedByAVForums1449701342.616309.jpg

The room sizes are good as they are - lounge is 4.5m x 4m (15' X 13') if that helps with perspective - but the layout will change to give us more space.

Everything is really dated inside, the lounge carpet had a delivery note attached to the underneath with a date of 1970 on it!!!

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449701734.237354.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449701780.271797.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449701831.926909.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449701848.609820.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449701876.462384.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449701918.413980.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449701956.418312.jpg

We initially wanted to extend 3.5m out the back, but due a problem drain and the distance between us and the property behind - we can only extend a maximum of 1.5m. It means that what we hoped would become a 4 bedroom property will now have to remain as a 3 bed. Oh well!

Here are the plans:
ImageUploadedByAVForums1449703495.275421.jpg

The cupboard I have circled is going to be a central hub / node zero for all AV and networking gear. I'm planning to buy a 19" rack to house everything, although I've never done anything like this before so I'll be trawling the forums looking for advice!

The gear I'm expecting to be in the rack will be:
2x SKY boxes
PS4
HTPC
Pioneer AVR
Synology NAS
HDBaseT matrix (thanks to Seb @Aclass Technology )
Switch
Patch Panel
Sonos Connect Amp (possibly)
And anything else that I hear about along the way!

Fingers crossed it all goes to plan!

Last edited:
We have already ripped pretty much everything out inside, and after what feels like 100 trips to the rubbish dump, here is our blank canvas:
ImageUploadedByAVForums1449704569.891736.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449704586.545603.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449704605.194124.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449704618.211822.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449704638.780455.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449704695.585016.jpg

I have to wait for planning permission before we can start work on the roof, but the work on the extension started this week:

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449704798.207811.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449704829.339960.jpg

It doesn't look like its worth it for that small amount of extra space, but it really makes a difference on the 2 rooms we plan to put upstairs.

I'll keep updating as we go!

More than happy to help with the AV side of the setup, whether you purchase from us or not.

One thing that you need to consider is the PS4 located centrally and control of it in various rooms, as it doesnt use Infrared so you will need to test controllers to see if they have the range.

Without a matrix there is little point in housing everything centrally and best to keep your input sources to 4 as above 4 the matrix will get very expensive.

What room is teh Sonos Connect Amp for, as if being used with the AVR then you would just need a Sonos Connect rather than a Connect Amp.

More than happy to help with the AV side of the setup, whether you purchase from us or not.
Thanks Aclass, appreciate it.

One thing that you need to consider is the PS4 located centrally and control of it in various rooms, as it doesnt use Infrared so you will need to test controllers to see if they have the range.
Yeah this is something I've been a bit unsure about - I've searched everywhere online and can't believe there's no solution to the range issue (short of opening up the ps4 and adding my own Bluetooth receiver!) It may be that I have to hide it somewhere in my lounge as this will be the main room I will use it in.
I thought about running a usb to different rooms and plugging the controllers into those, but I understand the usb on the controller is only for charging and syncing, and doesn't get involved in any control duties.
Have you found or heard of any ways to use a console when it's centrally located?

Without a matrix there is little point in housing everything centrally and best to keep your input sources to 4 as above 4 the matrix will get very expensive.
Definitely - I put "hopefully" by the matrix on my list because this is something I don't yet have (maybe should change it to "eventually"!), but it is on my list of things to get. I will be keeping it to 4 sources for that reason, unless the prices fall dramatically!

What room is teh Sonos Connect Amp for, as if being used with the AVR then you would just need a Sonos Connect rather than a Connect Amp.
Thanks for that - the sonos part is new to me so didn't realise there was a difference.
I want to have multi room audio playing music from my NAS, iTunes or Spotify possibly using an iPad to control it.
The thought was to install cable for in-ceiling speakers in kitchen/diner and bathroom and use my surround speakers in the lounge. Preferably separated into 3 zones. Does that sound possible?

On the subject of the AVR - how would that integrate into the matrix? ie. what goes in/out of the AVR?

Thanks
Dean

Hi Dean

PS4
Have you found or heard of any ways to use a console when it's centrally located?

Nothing totally reliable to be honest

Definitely - I put "hopefully" by the matrix on my list because this is something I don't yet have (maybe should change it to "eventually"!), but it is on my list of things to get. I will be keeping it to 4 sources for that reason, unless the prices fall dramatically!

We have some offers on 4x4 will PM you.

Thanks for that - the sonos part is new to me so didn't realise there was a difference.
I want to have multi room audio playing music from my NAS, iTunes or Spotify possibly using an iPad to control it.

Sonos is definitely the way as easy to expand and control

The thought was to install cable for in-ceiling speakers in kitchen/diner and bathroom and use my surround speakers in the lounge. Preferably separated into 3 zones. Does that sound possible?

Yes that is what we normally recommend
2 x Sonos Connect Amps (for ceiling speakers we use Kef Ci range)
1 x Sonos Connect (for AVR)

On the subject of the AVR - how would that integrate into the matrix? ie. what goes in/out of the AVR?

AVR should be an output not an input from the matrix. A few ways of doing this dependent on the capabilities of the other TV zones for audio and where the AVR is located. HDMI can only carry one type of audio stream at a time (ie Stereo or 5.1) therefore if you have the AVR requesting 5.1 from say the Sky box but the other TV zones only being able to handle stereo then its quite possible they will get no audio when they are viewing the same Skybox. The ideal solution would be to make sure that all TV zones can handle the same audio, maybe with the addition of some soundbars.

If the AVR is centrally located and all zones can handle the same audio then you would just connect the AVR via the mirrored HDMI outputs for the main room on our matrix just for audio and not use the AVR for HDMi video output at all.

If the AVR is centrally located and NOT all zones can handle the same audio then you would just connect the AVR to the sources via Optical or coax audio and set these to 5.1 and set the HDMI outputs to stereo. That way the other TV zones would receive stereo audio and the main room would receive 5.1

Sorry a lot to take in but it should get you started

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
What he said!
Love the colour of the bathroom. I take it that was an after shot?;):D
Ha ha, yeah - just need to find a carpet of the same colour to go in the lounge now [emoji38]

Hi Dean

PS4
Nothing totally reliable to be honest

We have some offers on 4x4 will PM you.

Sonos is definitely the way as easy to expand and control

Yes that is what we normally recommend
2 x Sonos Connect Amps (for ceiling speakers we use Kef Ci range)
1 x Sonos Connect (for AVR)

AVR should be an output not an input from the matrix. A few ways of doing this dependent on the capabilities of the other TV zones for audio and where the AVR is located. HDMI can only carry one type of audio stream at a time (ie Stereo or 5.1) therefore if you have the AVR requesting 5.1 from say the Sky box but the other TV zones only being able to handle stereo then its quite possible they will get no audio when they are viewing the same Skybox. The ideal solution would be to make sure that all TV zones can handle the same audio, maybe with the addition of some soundbars.

If the AVR is centrally located and all zones can handle the same audio then you would just connect the AVR via the mirrored HDMI outputs for the main room on our matrix just for audio and not use the AVR for HDMi video output at all.

If the AVR is centrally located and NOT all zones can handle the same audio then you would just connect the AVR to the sources via Optical or coax audio and set these to 5.1 and set the HDMI outputs to stereo. That way the other TV zones would receive stereo audio and the main room would receive 5.1

Hi Seb, thanks for the PM and the info - for some reason only part of what you wrote is appearing on the thread, however I can see it if I quote your post
Regarding the Sonos - that looks like the way I'll go (and as you said it is easy to expand as well.)

Thanks for the info on the AVR, that makes it a lot clearer. Would you say that the 'best' way would be using the mirrored hdmi with all zones being able to handle 5.1? If so then looks like I will have to pick up a couple of cheap soundbars for now! Do these take the audio through hdmi or am I going to have to run some additional cables?

Cheers
Dean

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Been getting dusty with the disc cutter!
ImageUploadedByAVForums1449778713.868612.jpg

I've cut and gunned out channels in the concrete screed for the heating pipes.
ImageUploadedByAVForums1449779067.690891.jpg

I had goggles and dust masks but still had to keep popping outside for fresh air, couldn't believe the amount of dust the cutter kicked up!

We also had the front garden and wall dug up while we had the digger there. The idea is to make this is to a drive for a couple more cars.
ImageUploadedByAVForums1449779237.916638.jpg

It took 3 grab lorries to get rid of all the soil! It's clay and it probably triples in size as you dig it out of the ground. Crazy stuff.

We've also had the brickie working his magic on the rear extension.
ImageUploadedByAVForums1449779757.922558.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449779923.731316.jpg

We have, however hit a stumbling block in the planning department. There has been an opposition lodged by the woman in the property behind about her garden and rooms being overlooked. I don't think she has any legitimate argument but it has meant that I need to address a couple of issues.
There is a rule that says there must be a minimum of 20m window to window between us and the property behind. On the ordinance survey site plan, it shows that there is going to be 19.5 metres based on the proposed drawings.
I have been and taken a laser measurement that shows we will have 20.8 meters from the proposed window position, so I have submitted this info to the council.
ImageUploadedByAVForums1449781833.453387.jpg

They have also told me that they are concerned about the additional bulk of the property, and this will likely result in planning being denied.
I have written a long email detailing how the bulk will not affect any neighbouring properties from a light / shade point of view, and have suggested that we change the rear gable end for a barn end to 'soften' the change in appearance. They will look at it again and come back to me. Fingers crossed!

So here are all the final plans:
ImageUploadedByAVForums1449782540.799686.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449782555.732700.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449782569.933440.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449782582.253621.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449782593.718163.jpg

Let's hope it all get agreed otherwise I'm gonna be seriously out of pocket!

Looks great mate. If u need any help let me know as I am guessing ur in Portsmouth.

Looks great mate. If u need any help let me know as I am guessing ur in Portsmouth.
Cheers mate, yeah just moved out of Portsmouth to waterlooville.

Had a smashing time taking the chimney down and knocking the old lounge into the old kitchen.
Here's the start
ImageUploadedByAVForums1449865394.706317.jpg

Mrs pompeydean has been enjoying getting her hands dirty too
ImageUploadedByAVForums1449865525.330784.jpg

The chimney from ceiling to roof level was easy to break up, but below ceiling level was another story!
Had 2 of us taking turns with sledge hammers and heavy duty guns to break it up - proper tiring work. On a positive note, it's a good sign regarding the quality of the construction!
Done!
ImageUploadedByAVForums1449866598.340143.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449866613.776115.jpg

Gonna need another grab lorry though!
ImageUploadedByAVForums1449866814.239513.jpg

Also the back is nearly finished to first floor level, and you can see the opening for the bi-fold doors.
ImageUploadedByAVForums1449866987.450050.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449867540.500352.jpg

On another note, big thanks to Seb from Aclass Technology for sorting me out a 4x4 Hdbaset matrix. He did a great bundle deal as I was buying some ceiling speakers and other bits too. Shame I'm not gonna be able to set it up and play with it yet[emoji17]

Got the front cleared of rubble but it seems the weight of the full grab lorry was a bit too much for the drive and the dropped kerb as he's made a right mess of it!
ImageUploadedByAVForums1449944533.475148.jpg

I'm not happy about it but apparently there's not a lot I can do!

We also had the scaffold put up and a skip arrived (different company to the grab lorry!!) ready for when we start on the roof!
ImageUploadedByAVForums1449944694.815933.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449944713.002262.jpg

First thing we needed to do was clear out all the insulation in the loft. We decided we were gonna re-use it as costs seem to keep growing and my bank balance isn't! The problem was that we would need to try and keep it dry as taking the roof off in December is definitely not the best thing to do, but we have no choice.

The Mrs was up for getting stuck in again
ImageUploadedByAVForums1449944966.185398.jpg

Although she also managed to miss the joists and put her leg through the ceiling!
ImageUploadedByAVForums1449945104.244626.jpg

Luckily it was only her leg that went through so she didn't take the quick route downstairs!! [emoji15]

I can't believe how much insulation there was - this was only the top layer!
ImageUploadedByAVForums1449945716.559515.jpg

For context that's probably about 3ft deep and nearly 6ft high!
Next was the middle layer from between the joists:
ImageUploadedByAVForums1449945918.690177.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449945934.038869.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449945946.826450.jpg

Shows how big the roof space is!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAVForums1449944428.418917.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAVForums1449944428.418917.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
We managed to get most of it down but ran out of time / energy / daylight or whatever other excuse I'm gonna use for calling it a day!
ImageUploadedByAVForums1449946250.027503.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1449946261.613816.jpg

That fibreglass really is horrible stuff. You can see the fibres floating around in the air from the photos above. Even after a long shower I've still got them all over me, keep feeling the fibres in my skin!!
A mask and gloves is an absolute must for this stuff if anyone has the unfortunate task of dealing with it!

We also filled up half the skip with the bottom layer of insulation as it it was too old and not worth keeping. If I never touch that stuff again it will be too soon.

So next job will be stripping the roof!

Boom! We've had planning approved so we can get started on the roof now. Luckily I had a bit of annual leave saved up and I'm off work until 4th January, so gonna be working on the bungalow full time now!

Subbed - keep up the hard work - great progress so far!

Where you planning on getting your kitchen?

Cheers fellas, yeah it is good fun! I'll update today's work in a bit.
@pjrouse - no idea yet, it'll depend on how much money I have left for it. I'm planning on getting all the structural stuff done, getting it all watertight, getting the internal walls in place, getting the heating, electrics and networking done and then gonna see how the budget is and what i can afford! It's pretty daunting thinking about how much we've gotta do before we can look at making it nice / comfortable [emoji15].

Had a busy day today. Got the last of the loft insulation down and then started stripping the roof. Here's the first side removed:
ImageUploadedByAVForums1450210180.786896.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1450210202.533368.jpg

The old felt under the tiles just disintegrated as soon as you touched it, it's definitely not gonna give any protection from the weather! You can now see the sky from downstairs:
ImageUploadedByAVForums1450210498.918641.jpg

We got most of the back removed
ImageUploadedByAVForums1450210580.023529.jpg

and then the heavens opened!
ImageUploadedByAVForums1450210653.595644.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1450210695.683050.jpg

We decided to leave the tiles over the front bedroom to make sure at least 1 room stays dry:
ImageUploadedByAVForums1450211003.969603.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1450211042.722247.jpg

Everywhere else is gonna be like a swimming pool tomorrow!
ImageUploadedByAVForums1450211160.744367.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1450211178.364811.jpg

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom