Full 3D on Freesat - BBCHD

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by JIMMYBO, Jan 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. JIMMYBO

JIMMYBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I've just been watching the test/review transmissions on BBCHD through my Humax Foxsat HDR and at 10.35am a 3D test broadcast came on

My new Panasonic Viera TX-P50ST30 picked it up and asked if I wanted to switch to full 3D which I did and put the glasses on

I hit the instant record button on the Hummy remote and I now have a free 3D recording of 5 minutes of pop concert, 10 mins of Walking With Dinosaurs and 10 mins of the 2011 Wimbledon tennis final

I was amazed that the recording plays back flawlessly from the Freesat transmission and the Hummy HD.
    The BBCHD preview/test transmission ran on a loop this morning for about 75 minutes and the 25 minute 3D broadcast comes soon after Lenny Henry.
    The 3D effects are jawdropping

If any Freesat HDR owner also owns a 3D tv or is considering getting one then it might be worth keeping a copy for test purposes.
    I don't know for how long the test transmission will run but it should be there for the next few days at least

There should be a lot of free BBC 3D on Freesat during the 2012 olympics
    The recorded file size is about 4GB per hour

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,107
    You missed a 3D film on BBC-HD New Years Day (Flashdance) and the Strictly Come Dancing Finals also in 3D. BBC-HD also covered the Wimbledon Finals in 3D. The recordings are the same size as any other 1920 x 1080 transmission (two pictures side by side of 860 x 1080 pixels in a single frame). Freeview-HD also had the 3D transmissions.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  3. JIMMYBO

JIMMYBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I've only just joined the "3D club" (3 days) so I wasn't aware of that :cool:
    Mainly due to this: http://www.johnlewis.com/231311630/Product.aspx

And for anyone else in the same situation the test broadcast is currently active and, it appears, the only one available

Thanks for your (as usual) explanatory reply glt :thumbsup:

For some reason, I didn't think of free to air 3D HD as being accessible so easily and recordable on my Humax HDR

There doesn't seem to be much discussion on this thread re Freesat 3D (I did "search")

But with the upcoming Olympics and 3D sets becoming so much more affordable, possibly due to Panasonic's commitment to Olympics 2012 3D, that may change :smashin:

4. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    The BBC 3D transmissions are simply TV programmes like any other, so, if you have a 3D TV, then naturally you can watch them - I don't get what was surprising about that.;)
    The reason why there isn't any discussion about Freesat 3D is that it doesn't exist - but thanks for searching!
    The only broadcast sources of 3D programming are Sky 3D which is available only on a full Sky subscription, and BBC which anyone can get with any HD satellite receiver.
    With BBC "programming" is an exaggeration, as Street Dance last week was the first item since the tennis last year.
    If you're into people running, jumping, and throwing things, as well as playing ball, then there will be two weeks of saturated programming of that from the BBC!
    There's a test card on BBC as well as the extract you saw, and that could be useful for your TV.
    Samsung TVs provide a lot of free 3D through their internet service, and I'd expect Pana to do the same, so that could be your best source, as 3D BRs are still quite limited.

5. JIMMYBO

JIMMYBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks for the advice :)

It is surprising that, when you first purchase a 3D tv, most advisors talk about SKY paidfor 3D, that's why I am surprised

I've found that the Pana Viera Connect "smart services" are a little BETA so far (3 days) but hope that they will improve
    I don't know about Samsung

The test card is also on the current BBCHD 3D test transmission that I recorded, so at least I have that available for future use. :smashin:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2012
  6. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    That's not what I was referring to, but in practice it's all there is for them to talk about, so for once they're right.
    BBC's tennis was six months ago and the film was only last week, so they wouldn't or couldn't mention those.
    What I didn't get was why it was surprising to find that "the recording plays back flawlessly from the Freesat transmission and the Hummy HD".
    I'd forgotten that BBC's testcard is actually part of the loop, and must have been thinking of the ten-minute equivalent that Sky carry regularly.
    Samsung began with a small range of 3D items but they add to them all the time and I'm sure Pana will do the same.
    They include some programmes that are on Sky's channel.
    The best source is 3D BRs but as I said the choice is limited, though also growing fast.
    You can also find a lot of 3D clips free on the Internet.

7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,107
    Incorrect the SCD final was :D

8. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    Apologies - I'd forgotten that - and I have the whole thing on disk.:blush:

9. JIMMYBO

JIMMYBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The BBC have changed the "review"/test looped content on their HD channel this morning and, atm, there isn't any 3D review facility.

There doesn't appear to be any way of finding the content or a schedule for this daily transmission :rolleyes:

10. malsat

malsat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Theres a few 3D test channels and some showing free stuff on many satellites but you would need a motorised system to see all.

11. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,107
    They probably are about to or already have gone to the normal 1440 x 1080 transmissions.

12. JIMMYBO

JIMMYBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
  13. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    "The service is reported to have reached only about 30,000 viewers since launch in June 2012.
    Canal + 3D content included English Premier League football".
    :laugh:
    and where did they get the 3D football?

14. JIMMYBO

JIMMYBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Andy Murray could kick start a whole new BBC HD 3D era (with the 2012 Olympics quickly following) - or just an opportunity to record 3D tv for posterity:rolleyes:

If they can't grab a 3D audience on Sunday - - they never will :rolleyes:

Heads up for this weekend:

Wimbledon 2012 in 3D on the BBC HD Channel:

Saturday 07/07/2012
    BBC HD 08:00-12:10 Men's Semi Final 1 - 3D
    BBC HD 14:30-18:00 Ladies Final - 3D*

Sunday 08/07/2012
    BBC HD 07:30-11:30 Men's Semi Final 2 - 3D
    BBC HD 15:30-17:30 Men's Final - 3D*

*Both singles finals will be available in 3D on the BBC HD channel after the British Grand Prix (qualifying Saturday, race Sunday).

Maybe, in view of the popularity of both of the Wimbledon Men's Singles finalists this year, and of course, one of them being B, we live in hope that the BBC might broadcast the whole final (from 2pm) in glorious 3D :rolleyes:

In any case, via a Freesat/Freeview HD pvr, at least it's a chance to archive excellent Free3D recordings! :smashin:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  15. davedrizen

davedrizen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Not sure why they can't use BBC1 HD to show the match in 3D after all normal 2D tv's can still show the a 2D HD picture by pressing the red button.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2012
  16. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,107
    I can imagine the flack, why is my telly showing two pictures side by side x millions . Get real what a ridicolous suggestion.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  17. davedrizen

davedrizen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I watch the tennis on the HD channel this afternoon, while it being show, in 3D on my normal HD set. Yes it showed two picture side by side until I pressed the red button as instructed on screen to get a 2D picture. I don't think its such a ridiculous suggestion, in fact if the BBC is worried about flack because of the double picture, they could always have it the other way round with a normal 2D picture as default and press the red button to get the 3D picture.

18. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,107
    A 3D SBS transmission has two different images of 960 x 1080 side by side in a 1920 x 1080 frame. To convert to 2D you have to drop one image and scale the other from 960 x 1080 to 1920 x 1080. The resulting picture is formed from only 50% of the pixels a standard 1920 x 1080 transmission has.

Do you really expect the massive majority of normal HD TV users to watch sub quality pictures so you can watch BBC1-HD in 3D ? :eek:

During the tennis this afternoon (after 15:30) try watching the 3D version in 2D and then the normal transmission.

EDIT

Pressing the red button on both Freesat and Freeview merely brings up the interactive services menu.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  19. JIMMYBO

JIMMYBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    We had to wait for the BGP to finish (btw - congrats to M Webber) before missing Andy's historic 1st set win in glorious 3D, but with the current Wimbledon Men's Final rain delay/roof closure - will the BBC have the courage to cut off the BBC HD 3D transmission at 17.30pm for 2D transmission and Super Smart Animals (repeat) - or do they consider us license payers more important than animals :rolleyes:

I can't wait to find out:eek:

With the Olympic's 2012 Opening Ceremony, Men's 100m final and Closing Ceremony due for BBC HD 3D broadcast soon, it's not looking good for their priorities with regard to 3D transmissions :mad:

20. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    That's you license payers who like watching grown men play pat ball.:laugh:

21. JIMMYBO

JIMMYBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Full credit to the BBC - The BBC HD 3D transmission continued until after Andy's defeat and the presentation - until 18.35 :(

But, on a positive BBC HD3D note, imho the post Men's Final Awards Ceremony was amazing in 3D.

With Wimbledon camera restrictions, the "live" 3D tennis action wasn't so impressive (restricted to court ends), but the less restrictive Awards Ceremony demonstrated what the BBC are capable of.
    I could even see the lines on K's face. :smashin:

Let's hope that the BBC are more ambitious with the "live action" at the Olympics :rolleyes:

22. Restorer

Restorer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    For me, providing the 3D effect is good, then I am not that bothered about full resolution. But two things bother me intensely about 3D broadcasting:

1. That very weird effect on many shots whereby a person standing closest to the camera is about half the size of someone in the background. This lack of perspective was especially intrusive in the coverage of the golf.

2. Worse though is the darkening of the picture. My TV back light is not able to compensate for this unless watched in pretty much blackout conditions!

I really cannot understand how, given a proper HD alternative, anyone would prefer 3D :confused:.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  23. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597

Totally agree!

I've just bought a 42" Panny (which has a superb 2D picture) but I can't use the 3D in the daytime as the day light, coming through the curtains, flickers due to the glasses switching.

I haven't seen any reviews warning us that you can only use 3D at night! :facepalm:

24. davedrizen

davedrizen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    To be honest I can not see a Full 3D tv service happening for a quite a few years, probably until the present SD services have been closed down and replaced with HD. There is not enough bandwidth to have three simulcast of the same channel (eg BBC1, BBC1HD & BBC1 3D). I think also there has to be a better 3D system than the present, where people can view 3D programming without having to use glasses, only then might it then become mainstream.

25. Restorer

Restorer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Yes, I agree. I have been more than willing to give the system a chance but have been using it less and less as the novelty has worn off.

The decision by Sony and Samsung to abandon active shutter technology on most of their upcoming models in favour of the inferior but cheaper passive system speaks for itself. The only really surprising thing to me is what got the TV companies to invest so heavily in 3D in the first place :confused:.

26. JIMMYBO

JIMMYBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    BBC Olympics HD 3D broadcasts Heads Up :smashin::

As well as the Opening Ceremony – Men’s 100m Final – Closing Ceremony (now preceded by a 1 hour Olympic Games review) and Olympic highlights daily between 11pm and midnight (all on BBC HD in 3D), there will now also be a 2 hour repeat of the 3D Olympic Highlights packages on BBC HD daily from 7am – 9am.
    So you can still have an “early night” and record/watch the “full” - but very limited - BBC HD 3D coverage ;)

Also – from Kim Killingshaw’s blog (Head of 3D Vision for the BBC)
    Quote:
    ”And watch out for the completely stunning 60 second films of athletes in action at the start of each evening's coverage. Shot in 3D with the help of a phantom camera, to the sound of Elbow's music, they are really breathtaking.”

I can’t wait - Take my breath away!! :smashin:

27. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    I've heard of people mixing things up with their elbows, but music coming out of somebody's elbow is weird.
    And what on earth is a phantom camera?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  28. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    A brand of high speed cameras that they use for slow motion effects frequently in sports broadcasts these days
    Phantom High Speed Cameras - Vision Research

29. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,107
    Used to film Ghost Busters :rotfl:

30. JIMMYBO

JIMMYBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Another BBC HD 3D Heads Up :thumbsup:

Dino Planet 3D, which will be transmitted on BBC HD in 3D w/e 18/19 August (times tbc), will also be available on IPlayer in 3D

Also, OBS are producing all of the Olympics 2D and 3D material so any quality complaints should be directed towards them.

The BBC have just added a little of their own footage to give the 3D packages a UK/BBC feel.

The 100m and Closing Ceremony will be broadcast live in 3D, as was the opening.