1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fujitsu VHA30 Or HHA30 ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by aliman, Apr 18, 2004.

1. aliman

aliman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW,
    Hi , I'd like to call upon your expertise in choosing a plasma.I have narrowed myself down to 2 .A Pioneer 434HDE or a Fujitsu.
    I'd appreciate it if you could tell me the difference between P42VHA30 and P42HHA30 and which one would you recommend and why.
    I have also noticed that there aren't many posts on Fujitsu although what I have read have been very encouraging.
    Your feed back will be very much appreciated as will of anyone else who would like to make an input.
    Once again thanks alot.:lease:

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No worries mate, though I will just slip on my asbestos pants 1st....

The VHA is a 'SD' ie W-VGA plasma glass. It is a panasonic with different, in many people's opinion, better, electronics. This is irrelevant if you were to be considering a scaler.

The HHA is a ALIS 1024 x 1024 panel. This lights up alternate sets of lines of pixels in a manner not fully understood! It was originally an idea for reducing screenburn on digital signage, like estate agent's windows etc. Many people like the look of them, I loathe them with an emotion beyond all human understanding. I have never sold one, well not a new one. The look has certain similarities to the 434, ie high resolution, not great black levels, but other than that they are chalk and cheese.

Personally I'm not keen on the 434 either! The input selection is a pain, and HDMI is not yet all it's cracked up to be, and never will be on the 434. Analogue TV is the wrong way to go unless you won't have sky and can't get freeview, or need the footie not shown on sky and can't get freeview, like Joe.
    The new pioneer will be out soon, panel only model. That is not without drawbacks, but perfection is an impossible state. You need to see them run, I can help there if geography permits. We are in Surrey, PM for appointment. My favourite is the VHA out of those, but I appreciate it's a personal thing (Except for ALIS:devil: :D Only joking you Hitachi boys)

3. jpd2

jpd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maw, I guess from this and many of your other posts you don't like the Alis screens, as I am considereing buying 42PD5100 I just wondered why?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I can see the line flicker, which annoys me intensely. They appear, in spite of their original design criteria, to be prone to burn. You cannot send them native res with a PC, though the iscan HD has a setting for it, as yet untried by me. They are not very 'black', no better than a Pioneer. The amount of processing and scaling going on in there is beyond belief. Not my thing.

5. aliman

aliman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW,
    Thanks for your excellent feedback (as always).From your comments I have decided to rule out HHA30 & 434HDE models.The VHA30 is now at the top of my list and somehow I always felt it would be.If I had any doubts,they have been laid to rest now.What sort of inputs do I get and are these built into the panel or do they come in a seperate tuner box.Also what are your opinions on the new Panny PE30 and is it worth waiting for.
    I will be watching alot of digital tv through Sky+ ( no terrastrial for me) and also DVD's. At present I don't have a DVD player with component output but I'm planning to get one that will give me proggresive scan output. Could you recommend one that you would personally buy yourself. I have a budget of around £500.
    You mentioned something about scalers. I have no idea what they are and what their purpose is .It would be great if you could enlighten me this.
    Have you heard any news on the new Panny 7 series yet.What can we expect.Hdmi etc... Finally I would love to come and see you to view the Fujitsu's but at present it's not possible because the wife's expecting our 3rd child this week. I'm sure you'll understand.
    But if you let me know where you guys are I can always pop down in future.
    Once again thanks for your great help.

Best regards.:thumbsup:

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    What I'd have in mind is the 433MXE against a VHA. The 43mx1, new model, will not be vastly different, it's due out in June. Just like the HDE but no tuner/media box, and no proprietary pioneer cable. It's got a shedload of connections, no scart, but all else you could need. The VHA has VGA, component and scart, which accepts RGB, S-Vid or composite. There's always a way to get your kit all connected, though you don't seem like a guy with a bunch of consoles, you seem to have your hands full.
    Panasonic 7 series is due in September/october.
    A scaler is an electronic gizmo with a high grade version of stuff your screen already contains; circuits to match the resolution of the input video signal to the native resolutioon of the panel. External ones often do a better job, not to say they are a 'necessary' purchase for most plasma owners. Just here you tend to find a distorted sample, better informed and more picky!
    Best to the Missus for the main event, hope it all goes smoothly.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    What I'd have in mind is the 433MXE against a VHA. The 43mx1, new model, will not be vastly different, it's due out in June. Just like the HDE but no tuner/media box, and no proprietary pioneer cable. It's got a shedload of connections, no scart, but all else you could need. The VHA has VGA, component and scart, which accepts RGB, S-Vid or composite. There's always a way to get your kit all connected, though you don't seem like a guy with a bunch of consoles, you seem to have your hands full.
    Panasonic 7 series is due in September/october.
    A scaler is an electronic gizmo with a high grade version of stuff your screen already contains; circuits to match the resolution of the input video signal to the native resolutioon of the panel. External ones often do a better job, not to say they are a 'necessary' purchase for most plasma owners. Just here you tend to find a distorted sample, better informed and more picky!
    Best to the Missus for the main event, hope it all goes smoothly.

8. aliman

aliman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW,
    Cheers mate you've been a great help.If you lived locally (Harlow,Essex) I would have bought you a pint.
    Since you've mentioned about the Pio mxe you've got me thinking again.I might just hold on a bit longer. Would be great if you could link me to some more info on the new Pio's.
    Once again , cheers m8.

9. YS-YS

YS-YS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i would say a lot of people on here have their favorites with plasma, including myself.
    there are loads of for's and againsts with each different screen.
    maw doesnt like fujitsu, I do.
    I can see flicker when i stand 6" away and its on whitescreen.
    but when i sit down 12' away it looks great.

Maw, the alis screen has 2 sets of line which only 1 is on at any one time, the way it works means it almsost impossible to see horizontal lines on the screen making curves and other lines look sharper and doubles the vertical resolution, though it can be prone to a little colour bleed (doesnt look as good with a PC) with the TV or a film it helps make it look more natural.
    the A lines are on 30 times in a sec, and the B lines are on for 30 times in a sec. "note : you can only see up to about 24-25 frames a sec" it takes a whole frame and puts one half up on A lines and the other half up on B lines (progressive), if you wanted to get picky you could probably say it would improve the plasma life, though thats not really an issue anymore :p

but all that is not really important, at the end of the day it doesnt matter what any of us think or anything about the specs of the plasmas, if you look at two side by side with the same image and think one of them looks better than the other, then who are we to argue with you. would you buy a car if everyone on here said it was good or would you test drive it?

I wish you all the best on your search, but dont disregard anything till you see it.
    btw let us know what you get in the end.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Ys-YS, exactly so, it's what I always advise. As I am 180 degrees round the M25, it doesn't seem worth the drive for a pint, but it might do to play with some plasmas.

My main issue with alis is that it doesn't look more natural to me, it looks like a Philips CRT with all the processing turned on, unnaturally sharp, noise and clour bleed, and I can see the line switching process from anything under 3m

Just had the email offering me the VHA31. This is Samsung glass, the price is not really different to the 30!!! I suppose the 2 yr warranty is worth something, I intend to see it run before buying any.

11. YS-YS

YS-YS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well it does take alis about 300-400 hours to really kick in propperly, well thats what i have found.
    *looks a bit dodgy before that* working with plasma everyday you might be picking upon this

12. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Samsung glass, but 3000:1 (or 4000:1 can't remember) contrast achieved.... some gubbins about it being made specifically for the Faroudja processor in the Fujitsu VHA and it not being used in any other Fuji or Samsung panels!!!

Weirdly, I saw this in this months AV Interactive:

Couldn't find the relevant FT article though...
    (http://www.avinteractive.co.uk/News.View.aspx?ContentID=1165)