Fujitsu Siemens 1TB USB 2.0 External DeskTop Hard Drive Work with Macs?

haggisman

Header says it all, on offer this week from Amazon. Tech blurb states Windows, maybe re the one button backup, but would I be wrong in thinking it ought to be possible to forgo that bit of functionality and simply reformat it to work with my macbook?
H

neh0

Novice Member
Chances are it'll be NTFS so you won't be able to write to it anyway with out additional software.

Most drives just need to be reformated (last couple I bought did) and are good to go and yes you'll probably lose any special functions but you'll have a storming big drive :)

Depending on what you need (PC sharing or mac only) will decide what filesystem you choose and you might want to do a complete rather than quick format to detect bad sectors.

HTH,
Neil

Tenex

Novice Member
Header says it all, on offer this week from Amazon. Tech blurb states Windows, maybe re the one button backup, but would I be wrong in thinking it ought to be possible to forgo that bit of functionality and simply reformat it to work with my macbook?
H
You're correct. Open Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility and select the drive there and format as HFS+ Journaled if its to be used exclusively with a Mac.

haggisman

Hi guys, quick follow up i case anyone else gets one. Struggled a bit with this; initially the drive wouldn't mount; assume as formatted fat 32. Attempts to erase/refrmat journelled Mac all led to error messages. Would though if used fat 32.
Thought I had a faulty drive when couldn't see it on windows machine (was identified/installed but didn't show in drive list). Any how, back in Leopard environment and playing around, got more error messages when tried to create one extended mac partition and then bingo, no problems when moved to two partitions. Won't allow anything other than two equal partitions though. Very odd, but seems to be working now.

Tenex

Novice Member
Interesting I wonder why the problem? At least you got there in the end. Most of mine are partitioned in some way eg. TM backup, MacBook backup etc.

T

toskerctyson

Hey everyone

I have a macbook and a laptop with XP on it and i was looking for an external hard drive that i can use with both. does anyone know if that can be done with this product or they can recommend any that would work well.

thanks for your time

Tenex

Novice Member
Hey everyone

I have a macbook and a laptop with XP on it and i was looking for an external hard drive that i can use with both. does anyone know if that can be done with this product or they can recommend any that would work well.

thanks for your time
Welcome to the forum! :hiya:

You can share any external hard drive between the two if you format with FAT32 (file size limit 4Gb). However there are solutions available to allow a Mac to write to an NTFS volume some are freeware others commercial. There may be a similar solution for XP to write to a HFS+ volume but I'm not familiar with Windows software.

Many of us use WD My Book drives they vary in name according to the connectors they carry (Essential, Studio, etc). HTH

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom