1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fujitsu screens at the Bristol Show

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MR2Harvey, Feb 22, 2004.

1. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Did any one get to see the Fujitsu screens at the Bristol show?

This is the first time have have seen 3 screens with different technology side by side together showing the same high quality DVD.

The screen on the left is using Panasonic 6 series 852 x 480(however slightly different, Fujitsu's own spec) 42".

The screen in the middle was using Fujitsu's own ALiS 1024 x 1024, 42".

The screen on the right was again a Panasonic 6 series 1366 x 768, 50".

Well first impressions, well doesn't the 50" look so much bigger!!!

I then read the cards under the screens stating contrast details etc.

Immediately you see the 42" Panasonic 6 series glass has much more contrast, 4000:1, it shows!

Funnily the 50" panasonic glass did not seem to me to have that much more contrast than the ALiS screen, although figures suggest it should 3000:1 to 1000:1.

I then stand back and compare the screens in detail.

First thing I saw was that the 42" 6 series glass screen had an unstable flickering image, easy to compare with the 3 screens side by side. I spoke to the Fujitsu guy and has commented he had seen this too but it should not normally happen.

The 50" screen did not suffer from this nor the ALiS screen.

The next thing I spotted was the size of the pixels, I found the low res 6 series screen pixels to be distractingly big. The 50" was better but best of all is the ALiS screen.

I then focused on colours and the low res 6 series has very vibrant colours but they seem unnatural to me. Skin tones were a little over rich. The 50" sufferd from this too but less so. The best natrual colours were from the ALiS screen. I ask the guy about this too and he felt like me the more realistic colours came from the ALiS screen.

I then looked for motion artifacts and all screens look very similar. All the screens were being feed component progressive signals and all looked very good even though ALiS is not truely progressive.

I ask the guy again about if the ALiS screen is best feed interlaced or progressive and he said progressive if you have a good DVD player.

The guy also volenteered that about 50% of people who viewed the screens preferred the 42" 6 series and 50% the ALiS. Main comments were ''love the contrast" (plus for 6 series) "To live with one of these screens day in day out it would have to be the ALiS for the more natrual colours".

What did everyone else think, it certainly proved useful to me. All these screens are different and all have pluses and minuses over each over, a thoughly entertaining and educational 30 mins!

2. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Were the panels professionally calibrated in a room with no ambient light? Did you have access to the settings?

If not then its obvious you are going to see differences in colour between these very different panels.

Given the better reolution of the ALIS screen, isn't this obvious? 1024x1024 vs 852x480? The most important question is, can you see these pixels at 8 feet or so away from the screen.

3. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i just seen the 3 fujitsu, does not help when they are showing monsters inc, would have loved see some sky/ntl/freeview on them the alis screen to me lacked depth and punch compared to the panny screen / fujitsu. the 50inch looked huge:D :D :D

the pioneer room had 3 plasma 1 504hde 1 434hde and did not see model no. of other, think it was 42 though , and they were terrible 2 playing monsters inc and 1 playing i think was titan/ or some film like that , dark scenes were washed out and not much detail:( :( :( . very disapointing when last year i was very impressed with the 43mxe and 50 mxe.

not sure what the plasma or screen that was being used in the denon room but was very impressive.

also saw some sim2 £25 grand pj stunning

4. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Not sure if they were calibrated, I'd expect the Fujitsu guys would have done a half decent job though. Yes I could see the pixels from 8 feet from the screen, that's why I mentioned it.

5. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    They were playing Gladiator when I watched and yes compared to the Panasonic the ALiS screen did look less in your face, softer. All the screens were good, all had they pros and cons to my eyes at least.

There were two Denon rooms, one room ahd a very big projection screen, very very impressive!!! I want one of those :)

The other on had a rear projection of about 50", much better than I'd expected for a rear projection but not brilliant in my view.

I think all plasmas will look better in your own room in darkend surroundings. I must say I enjoyed my day yesterday!

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    There were some very very ropey screens all over the place! The instant wow factor a 50" screen had last year has vanished! Also some terrible projectors! infocus 4800 looked good, but it was being driven by lexicon! (slight mis match imo)

7. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently, if you switch the VHA30 (the Panny 42" glassed model) onto 'fine mode', the pixelation disappears and the picture is much smoother and natural! Maybe the screen was in the wrong mode?
    Also, did anyone see the Lafayette plasma? It was f*****g awful!!!! Either that screen is the worst plasma ever made or the guys representing Lafayette had NO idea how to set up their own equipment!!! (The rep couldn't even tell me who made the glass!)

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's certainly the case with the VHA30, in the wrong mode it doesn't show well with DVD particularly. I find it hard to believe that as many as 50% of people preferred ALIS. Fujitsu staff might prefer it if it were true.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    lafayette is US import crap i dont like it my bnoss seemed adament he was going to stock it, did you see that all in one with huge floorstanding speakers URGH

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Horny, if you don't like the boss's decisions, you'll have to start up on your own, I'm sure you have the necessary.

11. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm. They might just be crap (their plasma is anyhow) but their DVD players 'looked' quite spunky!!! Especially the LFDV969. Spec wise it's up there! DivX support, SVCD, DVD Audio, Progressive Component outputs......Only problem was, they had the frigging thing rigged up to their crappy plaz so there was no way of knowing if the player performed.
    At 125 GBP (show price) it would have been a bargain (even if it didn't perform perfectly).

12. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well I never asked them all, that's what they told me. I think it depends on what you find important in an image. All the plasmas have shortfalls. Looking at all screens together I'm not sure why people seem so anti ALiS on here, I know which I prefer...mind you I'd like a little more contrast but it doesn't matter too much in a darkend room.

Up until now I have not been able to comment properly on the differences, now I feel I can, horses for courses. You take which screen you like, none is better than the other, they have better traits but all have minuses. I for one could not live with a 6 series no matters how good the contrast is, just too pixely and that flicker!

13. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217

The contrast is very good on the panny's but the flicker also put me off from buying one.

DVD :)

14. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    I was actually surprised that the 'progressive' panasonic looked flickery to my eyes, but the 'interlaced' Hitachi didn't.

(not Bristol show, just general observation..)

15. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello all

I doubt very much if any of the displays you guys (and girls) viewed at the weekend were set at anything but standard pre sets - and certainly wont have had much if any tweaking; and certainly not calibrated.

For those that find the Panasonic TH-42PWD6BX (SD) has too much flicker (and too few pixels) please keep in mind the TH-42PHD6BX (True 1024 x768) and the TH-50PHD6BX (True 1366 x768) HD models use a different technology to the SD model and dont have the visible flicker that some people see.

Best regards

Joe

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I have to admit I struggle with that, but in fact not all pannys show this much flicker, they vary quite a bit, or then maybe it's the sources. I see quite a few in my line of work, I promise you this is a fact, some screens you see it on, and some you don't. Alis I can always see, the lines turning on and off, and it irritates me, looks like dot crawl. I guess it's like rainbows on DLP projectors, we are all varyingly senitive to different imperfections. You have to choose the one who's imperfections irritate you the least.

17. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The flickering you mention in line flicker and yes you can see it close up but from a distance it become very hard to see indeed. I don't notice it. The Panasonic flicker is frame flicker and is very noticable close up and from a distance.

18. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Joe I agree with you about the higher res Panasonic (and clones) the 50" Fujitsu screen did not flicker at all and the pixels were a much better size. I'd say the HD Panasonic screens are probably the best at the moment, SD although good for contrast are fatality flawed by flicker and pixel size. The ALiS screens for the money (£2200 for the 400E) are a great compromise.

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The line flicker I can see shimmering constantly, and I don't like the 'processed' look of the image. Just me, I guess, it's why I don't have one and you do. Be boring if we all agreed all the time

20. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    MAW,

I don't blame you at all for not having an ALiS screen. If I could see the line flicker and felt the picture looks processed then I too wouldn't have one. I see quite clearly that it does not have the best contrast but can live with that especially as I watch everything in a subdued light/dark room.

21. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Contrast matters the most in a darkend room. I think you are getting confused with brightness.

I don't see flicker with my p42vha30. I also don't think its wise to make statements like the above after viewing it uncalibrated, without access to the settings and with ambient light. Also it is noticable to YOU. Most people do not notice flicker with the 6 series panny.

If your viewing distance is less than 8 feet, you see flicker, contrast and true blacks are not important and you don't mind the fact that you are watching an interlaced display then the ALIS screen is the way to go.

So you now have a HHA30? I thought you just saw it at the show?

22. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    In a very bright room no plasma blacks look black. In a dark room the 1000:1 contrast of the ALiS screen if sufficent, blacks look black enough, certainly not grey!.

Yes flicker is subjective to the person viewing. I can see flicker YOU may not and in that case it is not a problem. MAW can see line flicker on the ALiS, I can't from my 9 foot viewing distance. Even at 9 feet away I can see the pixels however of a low res screen.

I don't have a Fujtisu ALiS screen I have the Hitachi 400E.