1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fujitsu plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rbartlett, Mar 6, 2005.

1. rbartlett

rbartlett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi guy's

due to work connections I may be offered a 42" Fujitsu plasma screen at a 'favourable rate' -no not nicked just 'heavily discounted'

Firstly would you buy a 42" Fujitsu at any price?

not knowing the first thing -should I worry about hdtv, connections or anything else

what should I consider? what you would need to know before committing??

I don't want to splash out just because it's cheap/cheaper

any help info guidance most welcome.....

cheers

richard

2. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Do you know the model number....?

3. rbartlett

rbartlett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    sadly not...are there any to avoid?

cheers

richard

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    depending on the model number depends on the value VHA30 are very good and sell for over £2k HHA are good and sell for nearly £3.5k VCA are similar to VHA, (commercial) sell for £1800 so the model number changes the value quite a lot......

5. rbartlett

rbartlett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    as I say I'm not too concerned about the price -rather if they are any good once i've established that THEN i will make a decision regarding the 'deal' ;-)

cheers

richard

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    yes they are good but it depends if it is a V model, VHA/VCA (panny glass SD res) or an H model HCA/HHA/HHS (ALIS glass)

7. rbartlett

rbartlett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    wow thanks so far btw ;-)

okay ,so there is a difference...but is a V better or worse than a H ?? would you have either??

I really really don't have a clue and I don't want to end up with something okayish or is outdated or non upgradable in terms of up and coming tech ie hdtv etc

cheers

richard

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    none of them will work with sky HD (HDCP 720p@50Hz or 1080i@50Hz) very very few plasmas will tho, if they offer you a new one for £1k then excellent deal, buy IT. But most of these cheap "via work" deals arent very cheap and without as much research as fully priced unit can end up with a lemon, fujitsu are fantastic screens tho (as indicated in the price) come back with a price if you can.

9. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If its one of the new 40-series, bite his hand off and buy it. Its one of the few screens that does work with everything at 50hz and has stunning pq.

10. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ^^ From what I saw at the Bristol show, the 42" Series 40 was just OK. The 50" was superb.

11. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Also bear in mind the panels at the bristol show aren't the final models that will hit our shores. The HDCP was not enabled on this batch of panels, and so new ones will be coming later this year which will have this enabled.

12. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have been promised by Fujitsu (had an email from them last week) that the panels that will be arriving within the next 3 weeks will have the same PQ, the same compatibility and the following digital inputs - non-HDCP DVI and an HDCP HDMI. Sulis, I agree the 50" was better than the 42" which suffered typical ALIS problems of poor black levels.

13. cajieboy

cajieboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it the P50/40 that you've ordered or promised delivery? I'd be very interested to read your impressions and just how you have this beauty hooked up.

14. rbartlett

rbartlett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    what's PQ ????

cheers

richard

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PQ =Picture Quality

16. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Its called something slightly different in the UK, Cajieboy with more "Xs" and "AHs" in the model description but it IS the US model and I will be ordering one, as soon as I can find a retailer in the UK that actually has one. It will be hooked up directly via HDMI from my Meridian DVD player, which will act as a scaler and router for all my other sources, upsampling them from S, composite or component to HDMI.

17. cajieboy

cajieboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pat, w/your P50/40 and Meridian combo, that should make for one very nice Home Theater setup. At the moment, there is only one 50" Plasma TV shown on Fujitsu's website (www.plasmavision.com), and that is the P50XHA40US. Hence the shorten moniker "P50/40" (new AVM II), to distinguish between last year's P50/30 (older AVM I). I'm extremely curious about how the new AVM II will work in the UK, and if you'll actually need the external processor, and if so which one works best, etc. Did you get a chance to read some of the current P50/40 owner's comments on AVS?

18. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I first heard about it on there. Any particular thread you would direct me to ? The UK model is, I believe (from memory) simply called the P50XHA40.

19. cajieboy

cajieboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just went on AVS and noticed that the P50/40 threads were very scarce at the moment. It does not take long for threads to be buried on their Plasma Forum as there are so many people posting everyday. Anyway, I'll keep an eye peeled for you.

20. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I actually found one. It was the usual stuff - how does the Fujtisu compare to the Panasonic PHD with or without a scaler and how it compares to the Pio 505 and something that we dont have here called the Pioneer Elite. It is interesting to see that even in the US that there is a big price difference between the Fujitsu and everything else. At least from the thread I gathered that every single 40-series owner loves it to bits. Sounds like there are two versions of the 42 in the US - one an SD version and the other, the HD AlIS panel we are getting here.

21. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My local Dealer is meeting Fujitsu tomorrow. I'll have some more news about availability and shipping dates then.

22. cajieboy

cajieboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's good news. You should definitely demo this panel w/your own eyes before pulling the trigger. I rarely read, look, or demo the 42"ers as I consider the size is just too small for my viewing distance of 10'. The Fujitsu's have always been in the top tier category for pricing AND performance, but so are the Sony XBR's and Pioneer Elites. Sometimes, you just get what you pay for in life, and when you match up these higher end Plasma TV w/higher end audio gear costing much more, it almost seems like a bargain for top notch Home Theater. JMHO.

23. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well, everyone, my Dealer has had his meeting with Fujitsu and signed the Dealer agreement. Delivery pn both 42 and 50 inch models will begin across the UK before the end of the month.

...which means that I am now counting down the days til my lovely 50" 40-series arrives.

24. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    any prices yet

25. sdk

sdk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope this tv comes to norway soon as well, anyone from norway here that knows?

26. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi tcp/ip
    Dont know retail on the 42" but retail on the 50" is £4995. In real terms the price is £4495 placing it at a premium above the equivalent Pio XDE. At the Bristol show they were asking £4495 and including a £200 desk stand. I would expect any Dealer to be able to match that...and have asked my Dealer to do so.
    Im sure you wont have to wait long sdk. Im looking forward to reporting back with some personal experiences.

27. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    i was just about to buy a 435XDE but i will hold off a week or to to get prices and reviews on the 42inch

28. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    tcp/ip - imho, the pio 43xde is a better screen than the fujitsu. The fuitsu is an ALIS panel which although technically HD compatible (with a screen res of 1024x1024) may be a bit strange when matched to a scaler. The main weakness of the fujitsu 42" is the black level which, when compared to a panny (or indeed a pio xde) is its achilles heel. "Grey" blacks seem to be a weakness of all ALIS panels and although the fujitsu has other benefits derived from the AVM2 processor, on the demo that I saw, it definitely did not black well. The 50" is another matter entirely because it uses panasonic glass. Black Black Blackety Black.

29. Oblomov

Oblomov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Pat,

Finally got broadband connected in the new home and have a little time to spare on the forum. If you remember, I contributed to your Bristol Show thread. The long awaited e-mail from Fujitsu was a total anti-climax, either a load of nonsense written by a criminally ignorant employee or something that is technically way over my head. Read it for yourself:

With regard to some questions relating to native refresh rate, as posed to our sales manager, Mr Mike Bluett, please find my response below.

You may have read this on the av fourm recently. I've added a couple of additional point to it.

I noted on the AVforum that there was a question relating to native 50hz support.
    I'm not clear on this question, suffice to say the following:
    Plasma panels display the image using a method called sub-field addressing. Sub field addressing builds the image using a colour palette layer across the WHOLE screen simultaneously. It is NOT built line by line as one may possibly surmise by interlace or progressive terminology (this is simply a legacy from CRT technology).

The number of layers can be 1024 per FRAME (hence 1 Billion colour support).

The number of sub-fields varies depending upon the original source refresh rate and screen mode setting (fine, dynamic etc…).
    In other words, the NATIVE refresh rate can vary. BUT in terms of visible flicker, it is considered non existent (from the NATIVE perspective) due to the nature of the way the image is presented to the Plasma panel.
    However, due to external signal sources, interlacing OR flicker may be perceived to be visible. This interlace or flicker is purely a “by product” of the signal, and not introduced by the panel as a rule of thumb (there is one exception to this rule, but not covered here as it is not in the scope of this discussion).

To put in other words, for a panel to support 50 or 60 hz is a function of the video processing and not a function of the glass (the “native” part).

I hope this has been informative and helps to answer your question.

Noooo...

Are you happy about the heavy blue bias of the 50 inch model demonstrated at Bristol? Remember that Piers commented that even the Fujitsu technical people did not know how to correct it.

30. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    There was blue bias on the 50 at Bristol and though I couldn't get into a service menu to correct it I have every confidence it is possible. Just waiting for the info and expect to have it in the next couple of weeks. The picture will be very special, in my view, once this is sorted.