Fujitsu Plasma Display Drivers for HTPC?

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Hi Chaps,

I finally have my 58 Series Plasma and have been enjoying using it with SKYHD and SD DVD.:thumbsup:

However my PC is a pain, the GFX card is ATI (X800 XT-PE) and runs on the latest driver but as soon as it detected my Plasma it only gave me 2 display options. One really small (720 x 400 and something) and 1920 x 1080, which is higher than the native res. All the 'normal' display options are missing :confused:

I want to be able to set it to the native 1024 x 768 but will this work as the Plasma has rectangular pixels? Is there some sort of driver so I can display the native res but in widescreen?

Thanks.

Adam

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
I never tried it, guess I should take a look :blush:

I just thought maybe Fujitsu would provide a driver... I guess I am probably dreaming :rolleyes:

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Just had a quick play with Powerstrip on my laptop (not my HTPC) and I can't actually find anything that allows you to completely customise the resolution... but maybe I am just thick.

Anyway as a native res is not possible in widescreen because of the rectangular pixels would I be better off just aiming for a standard widescreen aspect ratio that is larger than the native res of 1024 x 768 (so it scales down), or will 1280 x 720 be ok?... my head hurts :(

robin78

You can create custom resolutions with powerstrip: that's the main feature of the program.

(Click with the right mouse button on the taskbar icon when powerstrip is running, select display profiles -> configure. Click on advanced timing options, click on custom resolutions)

BTW not all graphic cards have all the options in powerstrip so you better use it on your HTPC. IMHO 1360 X 768 ( or 1366 X 768 ) is the best resolution for a 1024X768 plasma, then the plasma only have to scale horizontally. For HD material it might be better to use the predefined 720p resolution (don't let the PC scale, only your plasma)

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Hi Robin,

Thanks for the advice, I did have a little play but at the moment my gear is in another room so I had to keep poking my head round the corner to see the display and at 1920 x 720 I couldn't see a thing:suicide:. I have a wireless keyboard with mousepad coming soon so I will have a proper play then.

In case it makes any difference I am connecting to the Plasma via DVI/HDMI and not the normal PC monitor cable.

I did manage to watch a couple of films last night at 720p and 1080i and despite the PC having a heart attack it looked pretty good. More experimenting tomorrow :thumbsup:

Thanks.

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
I forgot to mention, I have Vista installed (yeah I know:suicide: ) so this may be affecting things. I tried making a new profile for my Plasma last night (1360x768) but Windows wouldn't let me change the display driver... I may install XP just to be sure...

Adam

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
right if your using the VGA input on the plasma you have more options the HDMI terminal is limited to Video resolutions (see your manual) 1280x720 is ideal also keep an eye on frequecncy as runnning 50Hz material from you PC to a locked 60Hz output can cause stuttering etc due t the FRC (Frame Rate conversion)

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Ok I installed XP and it seemed I was right about the Vista Drivers.

Setting to 1360 x 768 works just fine even without powerstrip, the ATI driver detects the screen just fine. I did have to increase the screen size on the Panel as it initially had some large black borders but that was simple enough.

I use Media Player Classic to playback Mpeg2 and H.264 HD files in 1080i50/25 or 720p. The best results I have had, smoothness and jaggie free is with the Haali Video Renderer and Media Splitter but I do still get some tearing on horizontal Pans.

Is this just a hardware issue (Pentium4 3.2) or can I improve it with software?

Thanks.

JensH

Have you set it to 1360 x 768 at 50Hz? The tearing on horizontal pans could indicate, that the PC is sending out a 60Hz frame rate or some other frequency, but not 50Hz. Or maybe the plasma is converting a 50Hz signal to a 60-70Hz frame rate?

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
The refresh rate is set to 60hz on the ATI driver. Should I change this to 50hz with powerstrip?

Thanks

Adam

JensH

For playback of PAL material, or any other 50i or 25p based material, you should definitely set the refresh rate to 50Hz! Or at least some multiple of 25Hz if at all possible.

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Thanks JensH,

So much to get used to here :)

I'll have to make another profile for NTSC DVDs I guess?

Adam

JensH

Correct.
If it is film based NTSC material you will probably have to run at 48Hz or 72Hz, but I am not quite sure if the Fujitsu plasma will accept these refresh rates.
If it is video based NTSC you will need 60Hz (or 59.94Hz).

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Is there a simple way to determine if it is film or video based or is that just common sense... Feature Films= Film, TV = Video?

Thanks

Adam

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom