1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fujitsu Plasma and Sky Remote

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sijones, Jul 3, 2003.

1. sijones

sijones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I have a Fujitsu 42HHA10ES plasma screen with the optional speakers. I have failed to get the Sky+ remote to control the volume. I have tried all known codes. Has anyone managed to get this to work with a Fujitsu plasma?

Thanks,

Steve

2. Ratoban

Ratoban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Steve, sorry to jump in but how r u getting on with the Fujitsu, as it is one of the 2 screens i am thinking of getting.
    Is there any info i should know b4 i buy?( flicker etc)
    Thanx.
    Rob

3. GrahamW42

GrahamW42
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys,

I too have a Fujitsu 42HHA10E screen (don't know about the trailing "S").

Steve,

I have a separate sound system based on a Denon amp. I don't have a particular problem with having multiple remotes (and, more importantly, neither does "She Who Must Be Obeyed").

For simplicity though, even I have had to bow to "multiple remote overload" and have purchased a Philips Pronto. Not only does it turn the system on in one press (screen, amp, de-interlacer … and then set all the input settings to Sky) but it also has physical volume up and volume down buttons on its facia. I have programmed these to work the Denon.

Granted, this is just my solution … but I think you should consider a sound system upgrade anyway if you wish to do justice to your screen.

Rob,

I find this screen to be very good indeed. Comparing to my two year old Panasonic (a series "3" 42 incher) I have noticed only two obvious differences :

1. Blacks are much blacker on the Panny

I think that this is a "feature" of their "real black drive" system. However, many experts point out that this actually reduces the detail in the picture - I think that they may be right. I have always been seduced by "really black blacks" - and have always set up my old CRTs accordingly. However, having lived with the Fujitsu for only a couple of months, I am now coming to realise the simplicity of my previous view. Sure, a crisp picture with drop dead blacks "looks" good - but it is not really *as* good as a more detailed image. It is a kind of optical illusion. In "real life" how often to you see a really black black ? Probably never. Even a piece of coal has detail in multiple shades of very dark grey.

2. The series 3 Panny's refresh the screen in two halves

In VERY extreme circumstances (i.e. only once) I have noticed that the Panny "paints" the picture in two halves (top and bottom). The Fujitsu doesn't do this. I doubt you could tell in a real world viewing situation.

It is hard to compare these screens directly (they are in different rooms, with very different lighting conditions and with difference sources) but I would say that the Fujitsu certainly appears to have a lot more detailed resolution - partly to do with having 1024 lines and partly to do with the lack of the "crushing" of the contrast range to achieve real blacks. I find the Fujitsu image to be much more "realistic" for faces etc.

I don't know what you are comparing it with, but I can highly recommend the Fujitsu.

Although I was sold this screen on the basis that it does not use "ALiS" technology … I have a sneaking suspicion that it does. Perhaps they have just played down the word "ALiS" in the marketing blurbs. Before you recoil in horror, I can say that you really can't tell to look at the screen. Even if each screen refresh is only of 512 lines, this is still more than a "conventional" 480 line plasma. And anyway, the refreshing of the alternate lines happens in a very small fraction of a second (less than a 100th) so I really don't see how that would register with the human eye. Mind you, I have never seen a "true" progressive 1024 display - perhaps they look even better !

Cheers

Graham

4. Ratoban

Ratoban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nice one Graham, it`s good to get "real world" feedback from someone who has the screen and something to compare it to.

I haven`t had the chance to see the Panny PW5 beside the Fuji so i`m having to imagine it , i like both for different reasons in the end the "Fuhrer" will have the last word i expect
    :D :D

Rob

5. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    why dont you take a look at the fujitsu p42vha20

jason

6. Ratoban

Ratoban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jason,
    found a place in Leicester that has the 20 on display, i`m hoping 2 get there on Saturday (if the ball n chain lets me :clown: )
    Rob

7. GrahamW42

GrahamW42
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    But note that the VHA is a 480 line display ... the HHA is a 1024 line display. Different things (and prices !).

I can confirm that the HHA looks very good indeed when connected directly to a Sky box via a simple RGB scart lead. I believe the proprietary "AVM" technology in the screen is actually the well respected Sage Faroudja chipset.

The only obvious benefit I get from using an off board IScan Ultra de-interlacer / scaler is the addition of a "Chroma Upsample Error" bug removal feature (which is very nice for Sky News if nothing else).

8. sijones

sijones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I've had the Fujitsu 42HHA10ES for a few months but have only started using it this week. On first impressions it is excellent. The only downside for some people is the fan noise. It doesn't really bother me. My screen is mounted on the wall and the noise from the fans is reflected from the back wall. It would be quite easy to put some thin sound absorbing material on the wall behind the plasma to reduce this effect. For table top installaions I don't believe the fan noise will be noticeable.

I have the plasma plugged into my AV system. However, for family convenience I have also opted for the side speakers. This means that they can watch Sky without needing to worry about using the full AV system. The only issue I have is controlling the volume on the plasma speakers with the Sky remote. None of the codes that Sky have given me work. If all else fails I will attempt to do something clever using RS232 control.

Regards,

Steve

9. Ratoban

Ratoban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ain`t it complicated.
    I thought getting the (B)light of my life to agree to my extravagent purchase was gonna b hard but actually choosing the thing is driving me nuts:confused:
    Rob:suicide:

10. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    dosent the hha have the alis panel ??
    a lot of people dont think this is very good (take a look at comments made against the hitachi which uses the same technology)

i too am confused what to buy !!! but last sat i saw the 42 vha and thought it was stunning it needed a little bit of playing around with the colour settings but it was soo sharp i was well impressed

jason

11. GrahamW42

GrahamW42
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    <<dosent the hha have the alis panel ??>>

Well, it doesn't explicitly say so either on the Fujitsu web site, on the screen itself, in the accompanying literature or even (in my case) from the mouth of the rep who sold it to me …

But …

I have heard several knowledgeable people claim that the HHA "uses ALiS technology". i.e. that it is basically an interlaced display.

It seems to me (after looking at my screen closely through a digital camera) that the odd and even lines are indeed illuminated separately … but with a very fast cycle time (probably over 100 Hz). A digital picture taken of the screen with an exposure time of 100th sec shows that all the pixels appear to be illuminated. Very fast exposures (like 1000th sec) show half of them brightly illuminated and half of them seemingly dimmer (as if they are on the way to being discharged).

For the record, I have lived with a "true" progressive plasma for a couple of years (a 42 inch Panasonic series 3) and I can say that the Fujitsu outperforms it. It seems (to me) that a 1,024 line display (even if the odd and even lines are illuminated at different times) is clearly going to do better than a screen with only 480 lines.

[Speculation mode on]

We all have it in for "interlaced" as opposed to "progressive" scan because we clearly prefer our screen to comprise either 480 or 576 solid lines (depending on NTSC or PAL) rather than see the screen drawn 50 times per second with an alternating images of either 240 or 288 odd and even lines - especially when each adjacent 240/288 line image is "different" in terms of temporal information (i.e. stuff moves about between each image).

But consider …

If an incoming video signal is first properly de-interlaced and then scaled up to create 50 separate 1024 lines "fields" per second and this is then displayed on a 1024i screen with a refresh rate high enough to bamboozle the human "persistence of vision" … then surely it is going to look almost as good as a theoretical 1024p image. I guess I am saying that there are two things here :

1 - Interlaced v. progressive video signals

Which are clearly different as one has a lot of info missing

and : -

2 - "ALiS" interlaced v. progressive displays

Which both display the same information - but in one the refresh of the screen image takes two passes to complete.

Surely it is the information in the picture that is important (and that certainly needs to be de-interlaced into a progressive format) rather than the way the pixels are lit up … as long as the pixel refresh is "quicker than the human eye" (with apologies to Hong Kong Phooey !). Even a progressive plasma display doesn't have the pixels on all the time - it is still "flickery" in nature (just waggle a pencil in front of a screen to see this).

Granted, a true 1024 line progressive screen may well look better … but I don't know of any at the moment.

[Speculation mode off]

Now that may all be rubbish … but I am wearing my asbestos underwear !

In any case Rob, just get a Plasma screen - you'll love it ! I think we all tend to get bogged down with technical details, the chances are that you will be more affected by "real world" issues like how loud the fans are (or the buzzing in the case of fanless screens), what the bezel looks like, how the remote handles or how easy certain features are to access (like 4:3 / 16:9 selection, or input selection, or menu presentation).

Cheers

Graham

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello all

Fujitsu P42HHA10 - ALIS glass with inbuilt AVM processor.

Fujitsu P42HHS10 - ALIS glass with external Selector unit incorporating AVM+ processor and Faroudja DCDi progressive processor.

Fujitsu P42VHA20 - non ALIS glass supplied by Panasonic (PWD5 equivalent) with inbuilt AVM processor.

I've got a VHA20 here this weekend for a play - though possibly once we see the new PWD6 on Tuesday it may be that the VHA20 is out of date before its had a chance to make an impact on the 42" market.

Best regards

Joe

13. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been into Harvey Nics in Leeds and had a look at the P42HHA10 next to a Pana PWD5 unit.

unfortunately the Pana only had a SVideo feed to it whilst the Fuj had a Progressive Scan feed to it.

anyways, the Fujitsu display looked very impressive indeed and would say very, very close to CRT - was showing monsters inc, then Galaxy Quest.

Very good detail levels in GQ, plenty of inputs on back to, but only problem was Harveys Nic price - £4250 & £1200 for 5yrs warranty:thumbsdow :eek: :eek:

Nice looking display though

Gary

14. HDR

HDR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just taken delivery of a Fujitsu P42HHA10ES with scart terminal board this morning and - having taken most of the day to set it up/sort out the room for it, I have just finished wayching LOTR TTT on it and I am blown away by the image.

I have an NTL box connected to the Scart terminal , and this gives just as good a picture as my old Tosh 32" - retired after (almost) 5 years of use - which is all I had expected from the TV side of it.

Much better when viewing DVD source.

The DVD is connected via component.

All fed into a Sony AV amp.

Absolutely chuffed to bits with it.

Off to watch Aliens now

Hugh.

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I like the HHA10 too, easy to work with, but don't rate the scart video board much. They look great with sky, it's a not brilliant interlaced source, and the screen does marvels with it usually, maybe they are not so crisp with a top DVD player, but hey what a surprise we've lost the plot! I have never succeded in getting sky remote to control a Fuji plasma volume. Maybe I haven't tried hard enough, cos then we move on to prontos, ie money in my pocket! Is that the only sound in your system? If so you really need to upgrade, the amps in plasmas are pathetic, yes even the integrated Hitachi ones. (asbestos pants on!) Most 'home cinema systems' ie one box solutions, can thrash the pants off them, let alone a budget amp and speakers, say a VSX100 and NXT speakers. Considering the plasma speakers cost £300 or so, another £100 and you can get a richer sounds system that'll really upset the neighbours!

16. sijones

sijones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Maw,

I have the Fujitsu plasma plugged into my AV system. For family convenience I have added the side speakers to the plasma. This means that they can watch Sky without firing up my AV system. I have now got the Sky remote changing the volume on the plasma by using the RS232 controller in my AV processor. It sends the necessary RS232 commands to the plasma when it picks up the IR volume up/down coming from the Sky remote.

Regards,

Steve

17. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    That's the EXACT same thing I thought when I was viewing this one with 24 other screens, including the Panny 6 and Pioneer 434! The other plasmas seems to ' smoothen ' all things where this Fujitsu gives a rich bright and very detailed image ! Don't like the thing I read about the fan noise though, one can't hear it when ones in a shop , but at home.... Do the Fujitsu new screens have built in fans as well ?

18. GrahamW42

GrahamW42
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi David,

My Fujitsu is nearly a year old now - I don't know if the current crop are any different (I doubt it).

Yes, my Fujitsu screen has built-in fans. Yes, you can hear them in a silent room.

However, I also have a Panasonic plasma screen. Whilst fanless, it definitely buzzes slightly. So you pays your money and you takes your choice.

To put this into context, I would argue that I can barely hear either of my plasmas from my listening position ... even in the dead of night with the sound turned completely off. I certainly wouldn't consider the sound to be a factor when actually watching (and listening to) TV - which is the actual purpose of the screens.

For comparison, my JVC VCR has a built in fan too. This kicks in now and again when it feels like it (even though the VCR is almost permanently "off"). This fan is FAR louder than either plasma (and it is actually quite audible during quiet TV moments ... ggrrr !).

Also, I can hear the central heating pipes creak, the fridge and freezer hum (and turn on and off), traffic go past in the street ... even people talking as they leave the pubs and walk past my house. All of these sounds are actually "variable" and far more annoying than a plasma fan (which is "constant" and therefore easier to tune out).

I wouldn't worry about noise from a Fujitsu or a Panny (or probably any other half decent plasma). Just enjoy the stunning pictures !

Cheers

Graham