Fujitsu PDS4208...too cheap?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Griff, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Griff

Griff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've found the above at £2399 + VAT which is a great price for a 42" plasma - anyone have any opinions as to why I shouldn't get it?

2. sanjay

sanjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fujitsu PDS-4208 may look like a bargain now but it is now dated.
    The contrast ratio is very low compared with up to date monitors
    available today and worst of all the dreaded fan noise will drive you barmy !.

3. Griff

Griff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sanjay, thanks. The supplier did mention the fans but thought they were too quiet to be a nuisance....not really worried that it's older technology as it'll still be brilliant compared to a CRT I guess. I'm having a demo in my house Weds so I'll let you know...

4. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'd be suprised if the picture quality on that model would be brillinant when compared to CRT!
    Unless of course your'e used to bad CRT.
    Regards

5. Griff

Griff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I meant a normal tube tv, not a monitor, oops!

6. MattB

MattB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Spend an extra 33% and get a LOT better performance. Also has every method of connection under the sun including DVI.
    NEC42MP3 for £3195+vat
    Nearly as good as an old CRT ;)

7. MattB

MattB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you mean Fujitsu PDS4229? I recently saw this side-by-side with the Panasonic PW4D and you will be relieved to hear that your Panasonic is far superior. Do not believe anything magazines say, they are afraid to criticise even blatantly pi%$ poor products for fear of upsetting manufacturers and losing advertising revenue. I have not seen the NEC first hand but others say it looks very similar to the PW4D.

8. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I bought a Panny PWD4EX for £4099.87 from the Media Factory,with wonderful advice from the forums old friend Joe Fernand,if you're in the market speak to Joe.The level of detail can be spectacular and also awful it is so critical of the quality of its input,saying that I'm extremely happy with the product and would advise anyone in the market to buy a plasma,compared to my old Sony 36" it blows it away !

9. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    The Arcam FMJ DV27 will be hard to beat at its price point for progressive NTSC/PAL.

Mark

10. Griff

Griff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great feedback - thanks to all....has anyone got any experience of the Fujitsu though - it's hard to dismiss at under £3k inc VAT! If it is a pig in comparison to the Panasonic that's been mentioned then fair enough. What about connectivity - what do I need to look for in a DVD and VCR to get the most out of the screen (I'm thinking up to £800 total for the two components)...

11. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I too have been looking very closely at the Fujitsu range of plasma screens for my HT system because I can buy them through distribution rather than retail.
    The PDS4208 is an old model and was really only intended for commercial use, as is the 4229. I agree that both of these units leave something to be desired in the picture quality stakes when compared to newer panels and I wouldn’t recommend them for home cinema use (neither does Fujitsu).
    However, the new generation Fujitsu panels are a different proposition. The 4214 is a good 852x480 panel and you should be able to pick one up for around £3500, but things really start getting going with the 4222 which uses the ALIS technology and even better with the very new 4242 which has both ALIS and the new AVM (Advanced Video Movement) processor which Fujitsu is making big claims about. It apparently removes the last of the “Plasma Foibles”. It’s so new I haven’t yet seen it, but they are very confident it will push this panel to the top of the tree. It’s also got a DVI input.
    (BTW, both the 4222 and 4242 are 1024x1024 pixel resolution panels).

12. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    As a follow up to my last post I checked out the brand new NEC42MP3 and I am very impressed. NEC has really moved the price/performance goalpost with this one.
    It's predecessor, the 42MP2 cost a lot more and didn't have as good a specification.
    Given that I can buy one of these babies with a stand for just over £3000 (about £1200 less than the Fujitsu I'm considering) I’m going to seek one out for a viewing.

13. Griff

Griff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Norman, sounds great...can you get two?

14. Griff

Griff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you seen this one....Orion Vision PM-4204 - NEW
    42" Plasma screen
    £2,845+VAT

15. Griff

Griff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've now had the demo on the Fujitsu PDS4208 and whilst I am a virgin at such things it does seem fabulous. The fans aren't obtrusive at all except on mute and I don't watch much on mute. The resolution on both digital (ie animated cartoon Antz) and film (Ronin DVD) were excellent, the former better than the latter using composite input. What I don't understand is what else I'm going to get for the extra cash. The res is the same on all the monitors in this price point and I think it will suffice at 850x480, it has all the connectors I think I need and it's affordable at £3k inc VAT. By all means tell me if you think this purchase would be a mistake but it certainly looks good....

16. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Griff

First off I'm biased - whilst I do sell Fujitsu panels along with Pioneer, NEC, Toshiba and Panasonic for me the current best looking 42" plasma display is the Panasonic TH-42PWD4EX.

Many plasma displays can look good/great on the type of source material you outlined but go back and ask to see the panel running off-air from SKY or the like and take along a couple of DVD's that are not cartoon animations or big budget special effect movies.

I'm sure that viewed in isolation the Fujitsu unit will be very impressive but try and view the Panasonic unit before you make up your mind - there's only £1K (and I do realise that that is a lot of cash) difference between the Fujitsu and the Panasonic and when you are spending the type of money you are considering I guess for most its a matter of getting the current 'best of breed'.

Regards

Joe

17. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Griff
    I have to agree with Joe. I saw a 4208 demoed and I thought it looked awful. As usual, the demo material was Bugs Life DVD which looks great on anything (although I still thought the edge detail was far too obtrusive-very stepped) but when I asked them to put on an analogue feed (I think it was Sky News) it looked really bad.
    If you really don’t have the budget to go beyond £3000 (and lets face it that is a lot of money), why not wait a little while. The New NEC MP3 has now really moved the price/performance barrier and the other manufacturers will have to re-price their products accordingly. I’ll bet you that later on this year you’ll be able to get the current Fujitsu/Panasonic panels for around the £3000 mark, because they will have to compete with NEC for market share and there’s nothing like competition for reducing prices.

18. Griff

Griff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Norman / Joe,

Thanks again for the feedback (essential for this sort of high value purchase). The fact is that I CAN spend more and will given the sorts of comments you've posted - I was not sure what I was missing out on with the 4208. Any ideas where the best place is to go see these other plasmas (particularly the Panasonic TH-42PWD4EX)? I'm in the Thames Valley area and can go into London if that's best, ideal way is to see them side by side.....thanks again all!

19. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Griff
    Another thought, did you know the new Toshiba 42WP16 is an exact clone of the Panasonic W4?
    They are made in the same factory and the only differance is the badge on the front.
    The Toshiba is about £650 cheaper than the Panasonic (not sure why) so go check it out on

www.ivojo.co.uk

I've only just found this out myself and have doubled checked everything and they are identical - so its very good news.

20. Griff

Griff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's interesting news....I used to work for Toshiba and they may be interested in helping me out a little.....;-) Thanks!

21. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I've just ordered a Panasonic 42" from Joe. (media factory)
    They have just knocked off £240 off their (already low) price for this panel. (£3860.98)
    Should get it on Tuesday. Will let you know how I get on...

22. Laingy

Laingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nike/Griff

I bought the panasonic from Joe and can recommend his service, the picture is fantastic, I spent approx 18 months lookign into plasma watching the prices fall and when they hit £4k decided to buy.

The only other one i would consider is the NEC MP3(?), the plasma is brighter (but that can have side effects on burn in issues, and is cheaper) but the picture wasnt much difference. But I have seen the panasonic alongside Philips, Fuj, Pioneer from the same source (in Singapore) and the Panasonic picture stood out.

I have sold a 32" sony wega to get the panny, and when i sold it i had to demonstarte the picture to the seller, and it was amazing how dull the picture looked in comparison (I thought the sony had an excellent picture). With Joes recent price drop I suggest if you can afford it, buy it.

23. Griff

Griff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just been to see the Panasonic referred to above and I believe it to be far superior to the Fujitsu I viewed earlier in the week. Only one concern remains for me now....the Panasonic dealer I spoke to advised me that the 42PWD4EX is a Grey Import product (not a prob with that in itself, the EX refers to Export apparently) and that no one other than the importing company would be able to repair it should anything go wrong as they wouldn't be able to get the parts. Now, I have no doubt they were telling me these things cos they couldn't get anywhere near the price (best price offered was £5400 and interest free credit over 10 months). Is there any diff' between a unit made for another market and the UK equivalent? Is there going to be an issue with repair if it's needed....? Anyone want to put the record straight for me or offer some comfort...? The Panasonic VCR I just bought has a European warranty - wouldn't the same apply to the plasma?

24. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Hello Griff

A timely question as I have just been making a couple of revisions to our web site due to a couple of changes that now make it important to differentiate between the BX and EX suffixes used by Panasonic in the UK and Europe.

Your dealer - if they are a Panasonic Consumer dealer is probably way off the mark with his/her reasoning for saying the EX is a Grey Import - and they are wrong in saying a grey import from Europe will not qualify for service or repair in the UK under the manufacturers pan European warranty agreements.

If your dealer is a Consumer dealer they will only have direct access to the TH-42PW4B Silver finished model - likewise as I am a Business Systems and Broadcast dealer I only have direct access to the TH-42PWD4BX Charcoal models. (And I have stated earlier why I see benefits to the Home Cinema enthusiast in going with the Charcoal display).

So onto the EX/BX numbering of the Charcoal models - until yesterday I tended to stick with the EX labelling when describing this display but due to the following changes we will now always be referring and supplying the BX model; in fact to date we have always supplied the BX model.

TH-42PWD4EX - European spec model - One Year Return To Manufacturer warranty in all EEC countries*.

TH-42PWD4BX - UK spec model - now with a One Year On-site Loan Replacement manufacturers warranty in the UK only.

The UK spec model importantly has the following features not found on the European model:

BEAB type approval.
    Supplied with a UK mains lead.
    EMC suppression type approval.
    Reworked Y/C (S-video) and Composite video timings to resolve a timing delay which can cause colour shift errors.**

Important notes -
    * Due to agreed Service Level Agreements any BX (UK spec) plasma display in for repair in the UK will always be fast tracked through ahead of any EX (Euro spec) models already in the system.

**Any EX (Euro spec) models suffering from this Y/C problem and put in for repair in the UK will NOT have the standard specification of the EX model changed to the BX spec to resolve this issue - they will merely be tested for compliance with the EX spec and returned to the customer.

I trust this is helpful.

Best regards

Joe

25. YYZ

YYZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a happy owner of the Fujitsu PDS 4229 I wanted to reset (or try anyway) the balance between all you Panny fans.
    The 4229 is recommended for home use and does come with Fujitsu's latest chipset with AVM (Advanced Video Motion). It is capable of some of the sharpest pictures I have seen, even on a composite feed from a digi box, but also some of the worst, depends on the broadcast compression used, which seems to vary greatly. DVD playback is again superb. The fans are quieter than previous models and are unnoticeable with any audible sound level. All in all its a great panel for the money. As with anything check it out before you buy, I looked at the Panny and yes its a great panel but to me I couldn't see any massive difference, c**p eyes maybe.