1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fujitsu Pds 4229/your Views

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Blu-rayx, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    has anyone got a fujitsu 4229 and what are your views,i saw this and the pana TH-42pW4B today,i didn't think much of the pana but i think it was there setup.

dvd

2. YYZ

YYZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 4229 and personally think its a superb screen. Its capable of some of the finest pictures Ive ever seen, but like any plasma not very kind to poor sources. I too looked at the Panasonic and couldn't see a huge difference, although opinion generally is that the panny is, for the money the best screen. At the end of the day its personal choice and your wallet that dictate your choice. You won't, in my view go far wrong with either of these screens.

3. MattB

MattB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Extract from a post of mine from March in another forum;

Spent the afternoon in a shop which had the Fujitsu 4229 and Panasonic PWD4 side by side in a reasonably light controlled room. Unfortunately they were sourced by different DVD players but the picture quality was chalk and cheese. I took along my 2 torture-test DVDs, Matrix and Se7en and was left to play freely with all the controls.
    The 4229 picture was dreadful! noticeably lacking in contrast and with really bad false contouring as though there was only ~6bit greyscale. Totally unwatchable.
    The PWD4 was much better. With the brightness tuned up to appreciate the detailed blacks there was some false contouring but bearable also background noise was fairly fine-grained and not too distracting. I watched this screen for a while and can see why it is so popular.
    4229 = £4000, PWD4 = £4500. No-brainer.

Hope this helps.

PS Ivojo now list the Panasonic TH-42PWD4 at £4046.70 inc vat.

4. YYZ

YYZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just goes to prove my point, ones mans dreadful is anothers superb, check them out yourself. I cannot in any circumstance describe the 4229's picture as dreadful!

Try this link, which compares the 4229 to other screens with real test data and not manufacturers figures

http://images.industryclick.com/files/127/109vsplsm.pdf

Best of luck.

5. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    thanks YYZ,great review :D

dvd

6. MattB

MattB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not wanting to start a flame war or diss another man's screen but I hardly think YYZ's comments constitute a review! I stand by my observations and have no axe to grind as I do not own or intend to buy either screen. (Will probably go for a Pioneer)

What I will say is try before you buy - take some familiar DVDs and watch for a while. Action films and animation will always look good but something like CTHD with its long dialogue scenes allow more time to look at skin tones, colour depth and smoothness of finely graded areas eg sky/clouds. If you find yourself forgetting about plasmas and being drawn into the film perhaps you have found your ideal screen. If, conversely, you find yourself constantly distracted by artifacts, perhaps you should wait 6 months for the next generation which will surely be cheaper and better.

Peace.