1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fujitsu Panel Fault

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by timmster, Feb 26, 2005.

1. timmster

timmster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all,

After 2 1/2 years my Fujitsu PDS 4229 has gone bang !

Initially the screen would switch itself off and need switching on again and after a month or so, a bang and no more picture. My retailer would not get involved and gave me the details of Fujitsu who told me to bring it in.

I did and a few days later got a letter tellling me that the shift registers had blown and that the repair would be £2483 ! Alternatively I could but a new machine at a discount, albeit when i checked the internet the discount was not attractive.

What now ?? I read somewhere that I may have recourse to the retailer under the sale of goods act as a machine was only used for modest domestic use and should be expected to last more than 30 months, ecpecially when it cost £4,000. If this doesn't get a reaction then it could be the small claims court.

Does anyone else have a similar experience or i am being unrealistic that a decent plasma should last for longer than this.

Thanks

Timmster

ps wife deeply unimpressed at my use of cash !!

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'd tell fujitsu you are not impressed, and mention the lack of lifespan and the law as it relates to expensive electronics. Maybe they will come up with a better offer. The repair seems unrealistic, they must be putting in new glass for that. Or else they simply don't want to fix it, and are quoting silly money on purpose?

3. timmster

timmster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No i'm not down just disappointed. I am now loooking for a new screen but will be go for something smaller in the LCD range. I will respond to Fujitsu and see if they will come up with something better but from what i understand my contract is with the retailer not the manufacturer, isn't that right ?

Tim

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Contract with retailer, yes indeed. But the poor sod may not be able to afford to give you a new screen, and morally the problem lies at Fujitsu's door. Perhaps with some help from the retailer you might get more joy out of Fujitsu. If they won't help, then off you go to court I suppose. They'll deserve it if they are not willing to be involved at all. They must know the law.

5. dgc

dgc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I may be wrong but I suspect you have no legal come back against Fujitsu.

As you say your contract is with the retailer not Fujitsu.

I think after 2.5 years the onus is on you to show that the goods were not up to standard. However a repair bill of nearly £3k sounds like a fairly catastrophic failure.

If you did win then you would not be entitled to a new plasma - perhaps the equivalent cost of a 2.5 year old model?
    What would a 2.5 yr old Fuji be worth?

6. timmster

timmster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A 2.5 yr old Plasma is probably worth very little, but even if i got back a third of what i paid for it which doesn't sound generous I could almost afford a new one in today's prices. It does seem unfair on the retailer but I'm sure they are aware of these risks !

Shame about the result on Sunday, I'm a fan of 27yrs standing !

7. dgc

dgc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    30 years for me

Feel very old having said that :(

Was certainly disappointing. Not looking forward to end of season and finishing 5th behind the bluenoses - especially as I'm married to one.