• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Fujitsu P50XHA40US

Peter Baker

Established Member
With all the talk about the new Fuji 58 series, I thought I'd just put in a word for the previous model. I was lucky to pick this up as an ex-dem low hours model.
Obviously, there was a fairly substantial discount to new price.
Now whilst the new 58 is significantly different on the 42", with a totally different panel (not ALis) the 50" is far closer to the previous incarnation.
I'm sure that the new 58 has improvements to the AVMII processing, but, I'm here to tell you that the 50 is none too shabby!!
I initially had a problem getting TVDrive to work via HDMI, as the'handshake' didn't appear to work
As a result I started with TVDrive via component, Freeview via S- Video, and DVD via component.
Both DVD and TVdrive were outstanding, with really vibrant colours, and contrast subjectively far better than my previous 36"CRT. This was really surprising to me, but even the wife was forced to say the picture quality is streets better. Freeview is perfectly acceptable, but a bit soft in comparison.
The only slight disappointment was that HD didn't look markedly better than SD, perhaps a tribute to the upscaling in the TVDrive.
Today, I took the plunge, and accepted the HDMI settings even though there was no apparent picture. Tried a couple of times without success, but then managed to get it to work.
The difference, whilst far from night and day, is still worthwhile, with a definite increase in definition, on both SD and HD. On HD this does now give a noticeably enhanced level of detail.
Oh, and the change to an optical digital lead on audio also gives a major improvement, bringing my Levinson DACs into play.
So I'm a very happy bunny. Thanks to Martin for his help and patience(MAW).
Anyone concerned about a move from CRT to Plasma, it's a great step forward!!

Piers

Established Member
Good to hear that you are happy with your ex-dem panel. It was as a result of calibrating a number of the 50" XHA50's and seeing what they could do that I have switched allegiance from Panasonic to Fujitsu now that the 58 series have the same technology in their 42" plasmas - just waiting for the new Fuji to arrive.

Peter Baker

Established Member
Ah yes, ISF calibration, and of course a Lumagen!!
Is there no end to upgradeitis:suicide:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom