1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fujitsu P50XHA40US

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Davidsims, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Davidsims

Davidsims

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all

I have bought the Fujitsu 50" US model and after a little advice :lease:

This is a great forum with some great advice

I have read that heaps of you hook up external scalers like the ISCANS and Lumagens and was wondering if there is any real benefit?

If there is a noticable benefit i will grab one

If so what would you suggest Lumagen HDP or Iscan HD+ or Iscan VP30

Thanks alot for all your great posts

2. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    As a fellow owner (for now) I would certainly buy a Video Processor if I could afford one, the rare interlacing artifacts irritate me a bit and would be reason enough. :)

I am sure Dilsher will sniff this one out v soon and as a Fuji+Scaler owner he should be able to help. (I think Pat or SDK also have a VP, I can't remember)

I don't believe that it will eliminate banding (I can see banding very clearly on my PC through DVI @ Native Res, i.e. as clean a signal as I imagine I can get) but I wouldn't be surprised if it helps reduce it for low quality sources.

I also don't believe it will eliminate rainbows as they are a result of the plasma's ability to change the cell output as opposed to internal processing, IIRC.

However, the difference between outputting on the PC at native res and 720p etc. is significant, with the clarity of text etc. a world apart.
    As such, with improved algorithms and NR output I do believe that it will produce a cleaner, more detailed image from SD material than the internal upscaling will provide, and probably clean up noise better on HD material as well.
    Also, as Gordon mentioned a while back there are more image adjustments on the VP allowing an ISF technician greater control over the colour temperatures, greyscales etc.

You can see this in some images Gordon supplied a while back, and I imagine the VP played a very large role in the apparent extra detail of the 'post adjustment' image.

Also as I mentioned at the start I do see the occasional/rare interlacing artifact which the VP would probably eliminate entirely.

3. Davidsims

Davidsims

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and thanks for that

I Must say i have noticed banding to a degree on all plasma's i have seen so far but less on the Fujitsu but have never noticed a rainbow effect

4. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I use the basic scaler in my DVD player for DVD and for one of the external sources (VCR). It is not as good as a lumagen at this particular job. However, it is such good video source that I rarely see any artifacts of any kind on DVD. I have freeview connected "directly" via JS tech to the S video socket and although this produces the best reproduction of this source (noticeably better than RGB-to-VGA) iI can still see most of the artifacts that Rah has mentioned. I am fortunately not susceptible to the rainbow effect so even if it's there, I dont see it.
    I had a demo of the Lumagen HDP. With poor quality source material via freeview it made a big difference. With better stuff, the difference was much less apparent. I have decided to hold off for the moment.
    Incidentally, I also sit far too close (about 7ft) which compounds any problems. Congrats on your purchase. I think you'll be very happy. Dont forget to get it ISFed.

5. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Pat raises some very salient points, viewing habits/distance will have a large bearing on the value of a VP to you.

If you primarily watch movies etc. then depending on your existing equipment a better sound system and/or dvd player may be a better move, especially if you sit quite far away.

Ultiimately if you live near Joe/Liam/Gordon/Piers/MAW etc. I would strongly recommend getting a demo/advice from them as everyone has diifferent eyes/setup/requirements.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Where in the country are you? We may be able to organise a demo for you.

Gordon

7. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Gordon demonstrated the Lumagen on my Fuji and the main difference I saw was the general tidying up of background textures resulting in a cleaner smoother and more detailed picture overall.
    Up to that point I had been happy to rely on the internal scaler.
    If you get such a demo you will be sorely tempted so best have the funds ready.
    Apparently the improvement is greater with plasmas that do not have such a good internal scaler.
    However if you sit well back from the display the improvement is less obvious.

8. Davidsims

Davidsims

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Thanks for the information so far and i would love a demo from you guys but i am from Australia so makes it a bit hard :)

So the general feel it that its worth it?

My viewing distance is 3 meters and main usage is for HDTV and DVD