Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Fujitsu P50XHA40US plasma - where can i buy/get good deal in uk?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by tjreilly2005, Jun 8, 2005.

1. tjreilly2005

tjreilly2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

This is my first post but i've been reading this forum for a few days now and have come to the conclusion after reading many enlightened opinions that as 50" plasmas go, the Fujitsu P50XHA40US takes some beating. The upshot is i'm gonna take the plunge and purchase one. My questions are:

a) where can i get it? (at a good price obviously)

Will probably get a Lumagen VisionHDP and have it ISF'ed so:

b) Who provides the best ISF service/best deal or is it all the same? (i live in london)

Finally, need to get a decent amp/speaker system so:

c) Can you guys recommend a decent speaker/amp setup thats not too expensive ~£1000 or less

Thanks

2. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Best person on forum to speak to about that kind of setup is Dilsher who we've just done Fuji 50", HDP (w/SDI) and Gordon (convergent av - ISF and Lumagen UK) has recently ISF calibrated. No doubt Dil'll appear on this thread anyway, he's vice president of the Fuji owners club I think!!!!! Drop me an email if you would like an idea of pricing.

amp/speaker best kept to relevant forums. Are you after proper cabinet speakers or sub/sat system (or even in-wall/ceiling)? 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 etc. Any room considerations (wife friendly, size, location etc) I assume you already have the DVD player?

3. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have an ISFed 50" fujitsu. Cant remember what my position is in the Fuji owners club but I was the founder member. Its very good without an external scaler, dependent upon the quality of the source material. Some freeview looks very good and some, less so. Be advised that I am sitting far far too close so any defects are made overly obvious. DVD at 720p (my DVD contains a built-in scaler which I also use for one external source - not freeview ) looks stunning with no picture noise, deep blacks, excellent contrast and none of the nasties often associated with plasmas (rainbows, posterisation, banding etc)
    Im testing it with a lumagen hdp tonight so should have an update tomorrow.

If you would like to email me, I`ll tell you where i got mine and how much i paid. Expect to pay between £250-300 for an ISF. Both Gordon and Piers are the main men for this job. Piers did mine and Gordon did Dilsher's.

In terms of amps/speakers, I think you should avoid at all costs a home cinema in a box type solution. With a plasma of this magnitude you should look at spending the same amount on your audio system, which will probably get more use than the screen ( I assume you'll use it for music, too). Start slowly with a £1000 amp of the order of an Arcam AVR250 or 300 if you can stretch to it.

4. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    1) Re. where to buy.

Liam (see above, http://www.progressive-av.co.uk/) or Joe Fernand (http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/) are both excellent choices, I went for Joe because I was also buying my speaker setup from him but you can't go wrong with either. Both know their stuff and are very helpful.

2) ISF. Piers (http://www.homecinemaengineering.com/) or Gordon@Convergent (http://www.convergent-av.co.uk/), both members of this forum, have excellent reputations.

3) Speaker/Amp. As Liam says best asking in the relevant forums but Liam/Joe would be able to advise on those too. There are a number of decent options in your price bracket that they could provide.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,037
    I've been doing more playing with the old Fuji and Lumagens....here's a sneaky preview of some stuff that's going up on my website when I get the chance.

First pic is default settings on Fuji, uncalibrated. Second pic is Lumagen in chain with their super duper 11 point gamma adjustment in use. The Fuji has a global RGB adjustment but this means you can't get the greyscale completely flat....you can get it much better than normal and certainly within what I'd consider ISF tolerance but with the Lumagen and this new firmware you can get it bang on across the board.....

here you go....

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,037
    Image before: Looks quite nice....if a bit washed out and blue.
    Image after: Depth to image and pretty startling difference to colours.

7. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,625
    Does ISF also sort out overscan?

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,037
    Here's the relative RGB levels. If greyscale is correct then they are all on straight line on top of each other. You can see the little humps in the blue in the before run......that gets knocked on the head with the 11 point calibration. You'd think that just turning down the overall Blue setting on plasma colour temperature would get it all lined up but when you reduce blue to get it correct at max light output the actual shape of the blue curve changes....

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,037
    The ISF calibrations I've done with this model have always involed using a scaler. With a Lumagen it's possible to remove overscan so you see as much of the image as possible.....and this is input and memory dependant.

Gordon

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,037
    Mal: You can usually sort out overscan on the Panny's so it should be do-able, even without a scaler

Gordon

11. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,625
    Sounds good...

I will br porbably sharing the component input, with DVD and XBox - I take it you only calibrate for one.

12. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hullo!

Liam calls and I come - always!

Pat,

You are the bleedin El Grand Master Presidente himself ya nutter! Grrrr......wake up!!

I really cannot overempahsise how much difference ISFing makes to PQ on any plasma even one as astounding naked as the Fuji.....so go for it man and join da Owners Club.

Getting a Lumagen also is worhtwhile if you are after top top PQ and I love it and wouldnt go anywhewre wivout my Lumagen baby now!

Go on you know ya want to

And Pat?

let us know how you got on wiv da Luma demo...

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    On a screen of this calibre, ISF is a must. And Dilsher, are you really the VICE president, or is it just a dirty rumour?

14. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Martin

i never deal in rumours Sir.... :rotfl: :rotfl: :devil: ;)

15. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,077
    tjreilly2005

If it were me and my budget was only going to stretch to 1K for the Audio Visual kit on top of the P50XHA40/Lumagen combination I would be seriously tempted to consider a lower cost Display.

Much as I like my Fujitsu Display - you'll see Gordon's pics of it above this post - I wouldn't want to not have decent sound along with decent images.

If your long term plans would see you upgrading from an 'entry level' DVD, AV Receiver plus 5:1 speaker set-up then your original plans are worth pursuing.

If your spend now is a long term plan then I'd definitely consider a Pioneer MXE1/Panasonic 7 Series plus the Lumagen combination and spend the cash you save on a better DVD and sound system.

Best regards

Joe

16. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cant fault Joe's logic....

17. sdk

sdk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow that was a huge diffrence. Now i am really anticipating you comming over here.

18. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hiya SDK

Guess what? i have seen a few rainbows around a bright light in the dark this week too! But only on 1 rubbish Sky channel not DVD..it dont bother me tho and i have not seen any other things you see though.

Aha so you see ISf is great!

Hye i bet ya though that most pple here would think that the uncalibrated lighter pic is more accurate in a blind test!!!

19. sdk

sdk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah i am sure they would, i might have thought that also. And if gordon can get the rainbows to maybe 1/10 of what it is now or something like that i will be more than pleased. And with the huge diffrence on everything else. WOW.

20. tjreilly2005

tjreilly2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, thanks for all the advice guys! I'll probably have to maybe think about splashing out a bit more on the sound side of things. Don't wanna go for a lower spec panny as i would like HDMI.

P.s Is worth waiting to see how the new 50" panasonic 500 series plasma performs compared to the fujitsu. Has anybody seen this panel with/without external scaler,ISF'ed etc,

21. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Good move re. more money for sound I think. I am constantly amazed at how many people marry crap sound with a stunning display. For me sound is probably 50%+ of the experience. If you can get decent speakers+sub and a decent amp then you are half way there. And the speakers will probably be kept longer than any of the other components if you get some decent ones.

Re. waiting. To be honest if I was looking to buy now I would be tempted to wait and see how the G8 panels (not the vieras) perform. I love my Fuji but if banding/rainbows are better on the G8 panels and you are adding a video processor then it would be a killer combo.

22. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    re. the ISF.

I like the improvements but unfortunately the blacks look a bit too heavy for me, it is very difficult to make out any details in the eyes for example.

However I imagine the limited dynamic range of the camera and the exposure probably accounts for this. The colours however do look very nice and the detail elsewhere is excellent.

Likewise the non-ISF image looks like it was a higher exposure (looking at the bezel) so difficult to compare contrast/black levels.

23. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my view, you jsut so dont want one of those Panny 500s...its a TV for gawds sake ..a display is what you want i think with tweakabliity...and i hate that fookin ugly bulky black bezel design on da Panny 500s...the reviews and posts on the US site AVS make it Fuji hands down if youre interested in blind comparisons .

Why dont ya wait for the new 8 series Panny displays in September ... as that is a better comparator??

24. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,077
    Hello all

tjreilly2005 - Different Spec, Yes - Lower Spec, No :)

A 7 Series Panasonic does have an optional HDMI Input - the problem is a lack of support for 720P, 768P and 1080i; it'll only support those at 60Hz with 576P at 50Hz.

Use a Lumagen with the 7 Series/HDMI and you can use Frame Rate Conversion in the Lumagen to convert 50Hz to 60Hz when required.

If you want to ensure you have a decent balance between the sound and the visuals with a 50" Display + Video Processor I'd say your looking at 3.5K+ for DVD, AV Receiver and 5:1 loudspeaker system.

Best regards

Joe

25. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,037
    Screen shots never actually capture the reality of the difference...and most folk will be viewing on LCD monitors that aren't calibrated either...it was more to show the scale of the difference.....which is significant in this case.

I have just organised to be at CEDIA UK at end of this month. I intend to use a Fuji 50 on the stand. Maybe see some folk there.

Gordon

26. tjreilly2005

tjreilly2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dilsher, i agree with you i don't really like the look of the new pannys either!
    and can't be ars*d waiting until september for the 8 series!

Joe - thats an interesting point! Could end up with a pretty decent setup for alot less money!

Gordon - where is this CEDIA UK? will it be possible to come along at some stage to check out the fujitsu in the flesh so to speak? Might be able to use this opportunity to finally make up my mind!

Thanks for all the advice!

27. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Speaking of which Gordon, was that Run Lola Run?

28. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    I'm tempted to say that there isn't anywhere in the UK where you can get a good deal on one of these.

The recommended retail price in america is $8000. Compare this to the UK, where the official retail price is £4995, and that's actually about right. Of course many americans don't pay tax on that at all, but we pay 17.5% VAT. But none of that goes to the dealer, and the ex. VAT price, which is about £4251, is directly comparable with the US price, given the current £/$ exchange rate.

The difference, however, is that, in America, you can easily find a dealer online who will charge you something in the $6200-$6300 range - a discount of more than 20% compared to the RRP. In the UK you will be lucky to find a retailer who will offer you even a 1 penny discount on the full £4995. Fujitsu has (I gather) refused to supply the screen to anyone other than a few hand-picked "high-end" dealers in a policy specifically designed to prevent discounting (presumably as a result of "high-end" dealers complaining about their profit margins being eroded by internet box-shifters).

I'm not sure which is more depressing - this, or the fact that the price differential between the US and UK in this case is actually relatively small compared to most other AV products. (sigh)

29. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,037
  30. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yeah awesome film, one of our favourites too. :) (only seen the UK version, the US version different?)