fujitsu P50XHA40S vs Pioneer P506XDE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by rgrn2, Oct 22, 2005.

1. rgrn2

rgrn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I am upgrading to one of the above plasmas, any thoughts, comments or advise on which is best?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Each has their own loyal following LOL! You are comparing to quite different screens here, a consumer TV and a high end display, so maybe not a fair comparison. You'll need to spend a bit more money besides the panel if you get the Fuji, whereas the Pio is an out of the box solution. For me it's the Fuji every time, I'm sure some Pio owners will be along to defend their telly to the hilt.

3. grand

grand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking at the same two plasma's.
    The Fuji is very good with HD input; very good is probably an injustice; it's bloody brilliant! The picture with the Fuji media box (GS version) is not as good.
    THe Pio is good with HD but not in the league of the Fuji. However, the overall picture bearing in mind non-HD, std TV etc. is better than Fuji.
    Due to its better looks and better connectivity, I have chosen the Pio which arrives next Wed (Plasma warehouse £3199) and will use the money saved in getting it ISF calibrated.
    Hope this helps.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Er, somebody has completely cocked up the connections on the fuji then! The Pio is usually fine on HD, and completely crap on RGB scart, s-video. Unbearable for me in fact. I cannot believe anyone would pay £3+ k for it in fact. But it's all a matter of taste as they say. Better looks though, there is no doubt which is best. All fur coat and no knickers....

5. grand

grand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW,
    Like you said, it's down to personal taste.
    At the end of the day, the Fuji struggles in scaling a non-HD std pic and this results in a far from sharp picture.
    The Pio with HD is not as good as the Fuji but gives a slightly better non-HD pic.
    From threads left ref ISF calibration, the Pio pic should improve significantly.

PS. No, you haven't got me down!!

6. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I own a Fuji P50XHA40US but went to demo a 436xde with a friend today (he was looking at a PHD8 or 436).

Well.. I was pretty surprised with the blacks on the Pio, in a shop under fairly bright conditions we couldn't get them below a dark grey, even setting brightness at the very lowest setting. I expect low lighting would exagerate this even further.
    HD looked pretty special, but then it does on all the HD panels. Putting in a scene with panning mountains in Braveheart (131 mins) I found it pretty ropey but my mate thought it was OK.
    Next we needed to see how the Panny 8 gen performed.

The only place we could see it side-by-side with a Panny 8 gen was in Currys, next to a PV500. The remotes didn't have any batteries in so we couldn't tweak them and the in-shop setup was awful (the DNR on the Pio was removing all detail, yes it looked smooth but.. yuck! Unfortunately we couldn't turn it off without the remote).

However, side-by-side the PV500 'popped' whereas the Pio looked flat. It wasn't a fair comparison but the lack of black level was noticeable. My mate is going for the PHD8.

So.. that brings me back to the Fuji vs Pio. On a PQ basis I would pick the Fuji every time, if you can afford to marry it with a scaler then even better. HD is a dream on the Fuji, it handles Sky+ pretty well on the whole (although Britains Next Top Model causes it a headache), and apart from the odd glitch DVD looks delicious (kingdom of heaven looked incredible).

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I remain completely unconvinced by Pioneer. My Daughters favourite fairy story comes to mind, the Emperors new clothes. Picture noise, lack of clarity, no blacks, colour bleed, it's all there.

8. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having now had the opportunity to see a Pio 506XDE in living room conditions with its own ISF calibratated settings, its not actually as bad as I thought it would be - but that fookin idiotic media box is rubbish. And its a Telly.

Decent picture but anyone who even thinks it is anywhere within a mile of the Fuji 50XHA40US (not the ES euro models!!) even naked is ..erm...well lets leave that word out. Add a fookin mega Lumagen VisionHDP and you have a PDP which i'm pretty sure will be up there for a fair number of years yet, no need to upgrade round these parts - and its not even seen enuff HD on it. SD upscaled PQ is as near to HD as I personally have seen. As for Sky- well even ropey old Sky Sports One with its pathe5tic bitrate is as good as anything I have seen on any display or TV.

The PHD8 is quite good too..so take your pick from these two and avoid TVs that think they can be as good as PDPs, why dontcha?

But you all knew I was gonna say this didnt ya??? Your money - you do what you will with it.

regards

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    We can always rely on you Dilsher! It's true, at 50" you start to run into some serious issues over the quality of the signal, and I have yet to see any TV plasma anywhere near a half decent panel and scaler combo, and usually a naked panel will outperform a TV, all that clag in the 'media box' is not productive when it comes to PQ

10. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Nice to see that Rahmorak is happy with his Fuji. I recall he did have some issues early on.
    Have these been resolved to your satisfaction Rahmo?
    My Fuji is great with the Lumagen scaler and good without it. Looking forward to Sky HD.
    Dream remains a Fuji 65" or 63" with 1920x 1080.
    Any reports on the Panasonic recently announced?

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    No reports yet Stephen! It'll be at least spring before they get here.

12. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey guyys

good to se you all around - I aint been round much due to my fahters apssing a couple of months ago...

Its funny but i thoguht the PQ was fantastic on my Fuji - then the Sky signal vanished - got an engineer in and he repalced the fooked up 6 year old LNB on dish ..and guess what?

The Sky PQ is now even more superb...with both the signal indicators at full bars! Never had em above 30 percent in da past. theres a lesson in there somewhere right?

I have the old LNB here - god is it a mess!!!! How may signal got thru that i dunno ....

13. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My Deepest Sympathies Dilsher, my father died about 13 years ago and while I miss him more with every day I realise how lucky I was to have a wonderful father for as long as I did, and I hope you feel the same way.

That you're blind? (only kidding :))