1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fujitsu P42VHA30 and Sky+

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Techno, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The HA30 doesnt get much mention here, always recomendations seem to be Panasonic or one of the Hitachis.

Is there anybody here who has one and has SKY+ please.

I have seen a PW6 with SKY+ connected via S video and was quite impressed other than some flickerig at the top of the screen on certain chanels.

I have seen a friends HA30 with NTL or freeview (can't remember which but definately wasnt SKY) and was likewise quite impressed but before making a final decision, I would be interested to hear from anyone who has the Fujitsu and SKY+.

Advantages of Fujitsu to Panasonic manily to me seem to be the extra years warranty and the connections.

I will be running SKY+ and DVD from component so maybe PW6 and extended warranty would do, or perhaps the PA20 and extended warranty.

I had pretty much decided on the Fujitsu but as I say, they do not seem to get recommended when people post asking for advice on which to buy.

Anybody please?

Thank you

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Sorry, can't comment on Sky+, but VHA30 is a good screen and I nearly bought one, as opposed to the Panny 6 that I now own.

The issue for me was that for the price of the VHA30 I could get the Panny with wallmount and a decent entry level scaler (like the iScan's) - that and the fact that I think the Panny looks much better aesthetically and was more flexible in terms of customising the inputs...

Try and demo the VHA30 against some others and then make up your own mind...

JJ

3. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply JJ. Did you just settle for the 1 yr warranty then?

What's the benefit of the scaler, does that help Sky PQ?

Thanks again.

4. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Yeah 1 yr warranty, may go for 3rd party to top up to 3yrs to just cover parts (found one for £200 here http://www.stuff-uk.net/acatalog/Plasma_Screen_Warranty.html)

Yes, scaler did help my NTL - have a look on the video processing forum for more details or search on iScan or Lumagen here...

JJ

5. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Hi Techno,

I'm sure the fujitsu will be very good with sky+ :smashin:

DVD

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You want to see one? Haven't got sky, but freeview and NTL, they won't be much different. JJ's 'nearly' was from seeing it with me, I don't hold it against him, we still speak! Yes, S-video is usually a surprise for people, you can bang on and on about RGB and component, but S-video works well, I often do it for people when cash is an issue, it's cheap to implement and so close in quality terms it's hard to tell. In fact, I can't believe it's not butter, can you?

7. michael6

michael6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I have had my VHA30 for a couple of weeks now which I am using with a bog standard Sky Pace box connected via a Scart lead. The quality of picture is dependant on the channel but on a decent broadcast it is very good.

I have the advantage of previously owning a Hitachi 42PD3000 to which I can directly compare it, although that was also good with Sky the Fujitsu definitely has the edge.

Michael

8. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the replys.

MAW, I've seen it but not twith SKY, do you think the SKY PQ would be comparable to Freeview/NTL?

Do you really think there would be little difference between S Video and COmponent?

Thank you again

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Some difference, but less than most people think. Jason, tell them about the bottoms.

10. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    MAW,
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

11. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    It was directed as me, and even I am confused :)

I think Martin means that we compared Svideo on the VHA30 with the component input. We did this using JS Tech RGB2Svid and RGB2YUV converters to send the NTL RGB signal to the VHA30. The difference in picture was quite surprising in that there was very little between the two with a good RGB signal.

Basically, component is ideal, but dont write off Svideo as it is definitely worth a try...and not the poor cousin it is often made out to be :)

JJ

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I was just afraid to mention my famous 'anal' quote again. What you need to remember is that this is a forum full of people in pusuit of perfection. You can achieve about 98% of what some are doing without going to anything like the lengths they go to, particularly with the Fujitsu, it's on board processing is pretty good. Having said that, the manual recommends YUV connection where possible. So a JS YUV converter and switching via your amp or one of Joes sexy zektor switches is probably the best, but it's all more money, which is where we started.

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Hello all

MAW - you having strange thoughts about our Zektor switches :)

Techno - I can only think the flickering image needed resizing on the PW6 panel you saw; it sounds like you were seeing the top line of the broadcast image which is normally in the 'over scan' portion of your viewing image.

Best regards

Joe

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Joe, it's all those inputs! ;) A desperately useful bit of kit, joking aside. A cleaner switch than any ordinary priced amp, for those who must have the best.