1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fujitsu P42VHA20

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by manc, May 23, 2003.

1. manc

manc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi :)

On my quest to purchase my first plasma screen i visited Selfridges in the Trafford Centre to check a few out.

They had two of the screens I was considering on display - the panny 5 (composite input)and LG 42" (vga input).

The LG was unimpressive to say the least, reds looked orange and the picture was washed out overall. The panasonic looked great very sharp and good blacks, the 500 quid difference between the two was apparent.

The saleman then directed me towards a new screen, the fujitsu P42VHA20 and i was extremely impressed, the screen looked even sharper than the panny, the colour jumped out and it was asthetically pleasing.

All the other screens were hugely overpriced as expected however the fujitsu was 3200 including wall mounting and tuner, this seemed reasonable to me.

Has anyone any experience with this display? I cant even find it on any UK e-tailers sites :(

I will be using a JS tech converter with component inputs and quality cableing on my install at home

Thanks for any help

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    manc

The Fujitsu P42VHA20 model you viewed is Fujitsu's new AVM Display model.

It actually uses the same glass panel as you saw in the Panasonic TH-42PW5B model (Fujitsu source it from Panasonic) with Fujitsu's own AVM video processor and an expanded input set as compared to the Panasonic units.

This model has been out in the US for a little while and has found many friends in the Home Cinema market - I think on a properly set up head-to-head with the Panasonic 5 Series Display you would find both models pretty similar looking; with the AVM equipped Fujitsu having the potential for some added smoothness due to the extra processing power.

What you may want to consider is a Panasonic + external processor of your choice vs. the Fujitsu with its AVM processor - more flexible but possibly more costly; though external processors are gradually coming down in price and offering more and more features.

It'll be interesting to see the AVM equipped display using the Panasonic glass and hopefully we'll have one very soon for a look see next to a Panasonic.

Best regards

Joe

3. johndonovan

johndonovan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe

How does this compare and contrast with the Fujitsu 42HHA10 - looks like a similar spec and realease date - is there a difference that you are aware of? Does this VHA20 have fans?

thanks

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    Hello John

I have info coming on Tuesday!

As the panel is based on Panasonic glass you would have thought it was fanless - but the AVM processors all run fairly hot and there's no mention of fanless operation in any of the Fujitsu info I have seen so far!

As soon as I get more info I'll post it.

Best regards

Joe

5. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Compare and contrast should show quite some differences. The VHA is the Panny glass as Joe states; the HHA is the ALIS panel. These operate quite differently.

I expect there to be differences btween the Panny5 and VHA also based mainly on the AVM. I think that the AVM does a pretty good job.

Not sure about the VHA, but, the HHA does have fans.

6. manc

manc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great info, thanks for your help.

I only I could find an e-tailer that sells them to see how they compare for price to the panny

7. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  8. manc

manc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again :)

If it ends up a similar price to the P42VCA21EH listed at avsales (2630.83 inc vat and delivery) then im gonna order one :D

9. phulme

phulme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :devil: Also FYI the new range of fujitsu's come with a two year warranty. The 1st year is a swop for a new one if faulty and the second year is a return to base for repair. I confimed this with fujitsu uk the other day as Kendals in Manchester where unaware of this.

The Kendals price is £3800 just for the screen!

The selfridges price is an excellent one and is also free delivery in the Greater Manchester area.

Remember this screen also comes with 2 component inputs which could be useful and a scart input. This screen is very highly regarded on the AVSFORUM.COM in the US.

I am going to purchase this screen in the next few weeks myself.

One other thing to point out is that this screen does not have any of the flicker problems of the panasonic 5 series as it uses fujitsu avm electronics with panasonic glass

Phil..

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    Phil

Have you seen this with your own eyes - I'm not doubting it can do done I just wonder how Fujitsu get around an affect that's a physical attribute of the glass panel rather than something generated by Panasonic's video processor.

Though I do seem to remember Gordon (Convergent AV) saying he had cured a Panasonic 5 Series flicker with an external processor - maybe you send the display a flickery image and the two cancel each other out!

Joe

11. phulme

phulme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Joe

Yes I have seen both the panasonic and the fujitsu p42vha20es
    with my own eyes. I am not sure what fujitsu have done (perhaps they are using series 4 glass) but all I can say is that that the fujitsu picture is rock solid but I can detect a flicker on the panasonic towards the edges of the screen.

In most other respects the pictures are very similar (blacks,brightness,contrast) as you would expect. I have also viewed the p42hha10 alis screen which I found to be sadly lacking. That display had cross hatching on certain areas of the screen. I believe Gordon has also seen this. That display had no media dcdi avm+ attached so perhaps alis glass is still a problem.

The fujitsu press release for the p42vha20es also states that this model is a fanless design which is another advantage over the hha10 model.

Phil..

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    Hi Phil

Your ahead of me then on the P42VHA20 - hopefully I'll have one arriving next week.

I'm pretty sure Fujitsu are using the Single Scan glass from the 5 Series displays - I'll try and confirm later today.

The ALIS glass does seem to generate a love it or hate it reaction - even with the onboard AVM or external AVM+ DCDI converter.

Just talking to the three (?) UK Fujitsu distributors I sense a cold wind is blowing in from Fujitsu Japan. Have a look at the disclaimer that Fujitsu use in the US on www.plasmavision.com about buying on-line.

Now whilst Fujitsu cant implement this in the UK I can see them starting to (potentially) use other techniques to stop price erosion on there products - I must say I cant disagree with this move when we start to see resellers selling displays at less than the trade purchase price; why they would want to do it is beyond me but they are.

Best regards

Joe

13. Urotsukidoji

Urotsukidoji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe I am also very keen to know your thoughts on this plasma. I saw some photos of the 50inch version (non alis) beside the 50mxe (isf calibrated) and was shocked at the difference - the fujitsu being by far the better of the two.

Anyone know if avm has 2:2 detection?

14. johndonovan

johndonovan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe

I totally agree with your sentiments about price erosion and the difficulties value-add companies like yourself face, but, as you are probably aware, EU competition law prohibits manufacturers having any control over the price their authorised distributors or resellers sell out at.

The law is very complex in this area, but the EU are also keen to enforce this with high profile, large companies.

If you would like to PM me (not sure how that works :confused: ) I could suggest to you how these manufacturers could uphold their legal obligations whilst ensuring it is still worth the while of companies like yourself to sell their products.

rgds

15. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Q for Joe....

Why would someone want to sell something for less than trade price?

To me this smacks of selling pound coins for 80p and trying to make it up on volume...??

mike

16. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    Hello Mike

I'm afraid the economics are way over my head but have a look at the thread about Electrical Discount and their 10% off weekend.

You'll find most of the big discounters are as you presume working on end of quarter volume discounts - a £3K plasma is now worth as little as £200.00 profit to a reseller and many deals are worth nothing if the reseller does not hit target at the end of the quarter.

Best regards

Joe

17. chung54

chung54
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe,

Did you end up wth this in the end, how do you find it? Are you connecting serveral scart deivces to the single scart board?

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Back on topic, I've had my hands on a vha20, fanless they are, power supply buzz was the only fault worth pointing out, not serious, but present.

19. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How did you find it compared to the NEC VP4S MAW?

20. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    NEC clearly better, and more connectivity too, 2 yr warranty and option of 3rd, but you'll never find one for the same money as the fuji.

21. ensyed

ensyed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought the VHA20 and it is amazing. I got the ISF settings from a member here and I love it. I think the picture is superior to the RPTV HDTV I used to own in the US. I dont understand why that is but it is a fact.

I bought it at nexnix.co.uk and they provided excellent service and the best price around. THey only charged 10 pounds delivery and I had the next day. Their wall mount was cheap too at 130 pounds.

Let me know if you have any questions. I was also choosing between the Panny and this but chose this.

22. Dax

Dax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of curiosity, why do you say that? It's just that I recently bought a VHA20 but was seriously considering the VP4S as an alternative.

23. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the specs I looked at, the nec's dvi is not hdcp. The fuji looks alot better also. The fujis also come with a 2 year warranty.

I wouldn't worry if you have a vha20. It's not that popular on this forum, but on the avsforums it has been received much better. Indeed, some think it is better than the 6 series panny.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=304976

24. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Clours better balanced(from the box) clearer more detailed, especially in dark areas. The connectivity is not subjective though, it bristles with it. Having mentioned subjectivity, I had a PW%, a VHA and the NEC in a row. It wasn't a big deal, the difference but you asked, and it was there.

25. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.hdtvexpert.com/Pages/6degrees.htm has a good review of both the panny and nec. Panny wins.

From avsforum:

The fujitsu can be had for less than the panny 6 in this country, has more conections, looks better, extra year warranty.

Yes, I am a fujitsu fanboy.:D

26. Dax

Dax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, guys. I have to say I'm pretty happy with the VHA20 so far. With the Australian models the VHA and the NEC actually have the same inputs although, like Timmy said, I don't think the NEC has HDCP. I also thought the VHA looked slightly better when I saw the two on display. Still, they were the two models that it came down to for me (I also considered the PW6 but they're still yet to be released here).

27. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    >>>> http://www.hdtvexpert.com/Pages/6degrees.htm has a good review of both the panny and nec. Panny wins. <<<<

..er I think you'll find that you've mis-read the article:

"My overall favorite for image quality was impossible to choose, but three monitors in this review really stood out for different reasons. Panasonic’s TH-42PWD6 had the lowest black levels and most CRT-like picture, plus the best grayscale tracking. But NEC’s PS42VP4 and Hitachi’s CMP4201 also showed well with a bit more ‘punch’. I attribute this to their higher brightness readings and excellent contrast scores."

Pana score: 90/100
    NEC score: 92/100

Just thought I should redress the balance!

28. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Can't quite undestand the lack of popularity of the Fuji and NEC, both excellent, overall indivisible from the Panasonic, and the warranty.... and NEC dealers can give you a 3rd year for reasonable cost too.

29. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was talking about picture quality - panny received a 10, nec got a 9. I doubt there is much in it, but the contrast figures are alot better for the panny. But the nec has slightly better brightness. Not sure if the nec has hdcp dvi. Couldn't find much on the nec from google uk.

Can't find much on the nec on the us avsforums either.

30. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    MAW did you notice any of the colour banding on flesh tones on the NEC that I mentioned in another thread? It's my only slight niggle with the VP4.

Couldn't see the difference in score - both got a 9 for video quality. Whatever! All good screens. I don't think there's that much info around as it just doesn't seem popular for some reason - perhaps the general panasonic/pioneer leaing most seem to have overhsadows the less obvious brands.

It has been suggested before that review results in magazines can be linked with ad revenue...so perhaps that explains the sometimnes inexplicably poor performance of some units...who knows for sure.