1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fujitsu p42vha

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sub, Aug 15, 2003.

1. sub

sub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is anyone here using the Fujitsu p42vha (853x480) display?

How do find it? All the information I find on this model is very NTSC, and I'd be interested in finding any first hand comments on this model from the PAL part of the world.

It gets very good NTSC recommendations - can I expect equally as brilliant PAL performance?

2. sub

sub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone?

Surely someone here is using P42VHA display. Any comments about this panel would be appreciated.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,518
    Hello Sub

Fujistu seem to have scored an 'own goal' with this display.

Its based upon a Panasonic PWD5 chassis with the addition of Fujitsu's AVM processing (some like it - some dont) and a better set of input sockets than you find on the Panasonic PWD5.

Fujitsu 'launched' this unit in the UK about four weeks before Panasonic launched the NEW PWD6 and unless Fujitsu do something with the price of the P42VHA20 I dont see it finding too many homes with Home Cinema fans who can get a Panasonic PWD6 for the same money.

Best regards

Joe

4. sub

sub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my case I'm getting it cheaper than I could a Panasonic (through a friend), so the cost isn't really part of my equation.

Ignoring the price, would you rate it up there with the Panasonic PW5/PW6?

I'm still looking for comments to tell me that its a good display. Anyone here using one, and are happy with it?

5. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sub, for the reasons outlined earlier, you wont find many owners of the Fuji - in fact I dont know of any. As Joe said its based on a Panasonic 5 Series panel with Fuji's AVM (Advanced Video Movement). Not knowing or seeing it (AVM) in action I dont know.

However some of the more senior guys on the forum really do not speak highly of it at all, whereas they all have good thoughts on the Panasonic.

Have a look at the extract below, from a review of a Fujitsu panel with AVM:-

The good thing is apparently you can turn off AVM. But then what are you paying the additional cash for?

Is there no way you can organise a thorough demo at a dealers, with your own DVD's and compare panels ?. TBH this is the only way to make a definative decision on whats best for you.

6. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On paper, you cant really put the Panny Five and Six panels in the same bracket because of the improvments made between the series:-

- No flicker (apparently, though views differ)
    - 10 Bit Video Processing
    - 30 Bit Colour Depth (Excess of 1 Billion Range)
    - No Reported Buzz
    - 4000:1 Contrast Ratio

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,518
    Hello Sub

Its not as good as a PWD6 - it doesn't have the improvement in video processing, darker front filter, connectivity, no power supply buzz etc that Panasonic have put into the PWD6.

Its very similar to the PWD5 with the AVM 'tuned' to reduce any image flicker - but as Tony's post points out the AVM does produce other artifacts that can be a pain.

If £3k for a PWD6 is outwith your budget then certainly the Fujitsu is worth considering.

Best regards

Joe

8. psychonaut

psychonaut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone considered the 42VCA. Bassically the same model but with a class A rather than a class B filter. The bezel is dark grey, but for those who insist on a silver bezel, this is available. You can pick up the VCA at a considerably cheaper price - even in silver - than the VHA.
    People worried about the emmisions from a commercial plasma need not worry. The rumours about everyone at Fujitsu being bald are only rumours.........

9. evilrkd

evilrkd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are you guys talking about p42vha20w ?

<----newb, sorry

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The VCA model has no yuv input I beleive.