1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fujitsu P42VCA21 help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by RustyH, Aug 8, 2004.

1. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, does any one have or know of the quality of the Fujitsu P42VCA21, is the picture quality any good, is it up there with the decent plasma's or does it let its self down in pixel quality

thanks all

russ

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    not a bad panel, but it is a commercial unit have you bought it or just had a good offer. try and make sure it has the video board in it as i think they shipped with VGA input only.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Not bad, but no component video input, RGBHV only. Perfectly usable, just requires a different approach. No progressive scan for DVD then, no YUV switching with an AV amp, but a reasonable partner with a scaler.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Iscan ultra would go with that and make it very usable.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Absolutely, gets around the commercial fuji prob. of no component very neatly

6. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, its on a superb offer of only £999, or would it be better to spend the £1500+ for a pnanny/sammy???

What is ISCAN, and how much improvement does it make???

Its a graded model (what ever that means), it say unknown for how many scarts it has, has RGB input, no s video, Pal/ntsc playback, no tuner, come with remote control.

what do you think guys???

thanks for all your help
    Russ

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Note no YUV component. in fact it appears to be without a video board at all. Graded means ex display, customer return, maye ex fujitsu show model etc. 3 months warranty, possibly some pixels out. There should be a report stuck to the box by Fuji if it's from official channels. How many hours, damage etc. It's a way better panel than a Samsung. Not as good as a current Panasonic, this one has 5 series Panasonic glass, not bad at all. Problems are lack of long warranty, possible damage, lack of inputs. The iscan is a deinterlacer/line doubler, and a good way of adding 2 component, 2 s-video and 2 composite inputs, whilst retaining a VGA, it has VGA pass through. You'd pick one up used in the classified section, or new they are about £530 at present. The screen will also work with JS RGB to VGA converters, very well in fact. You would be best to check the one you have in store, or get them to agree to have it back if it's not up to par when you get it home and check it. At £1k it's a decent deal, I have to say.

8. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well current prices I have seen are as follows,

Fujitsu P42VCA21 (Graded 42" Plasma Screen) - £999

Daewoo DP42 (42" Plasma Screen) - £1399

LG MZ42PZ43 SILVER (Graded 42" Plasma Screen) - £1399

they are the lower price band, I could stretch to more but it would be tight, so if one of those screen is really good (well good for the money!!) then it would be better, what do you think???

thanks for your help maw

russ

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The Fuji is way the best screen there. As long as you are comfortable with the rather limited warranty, (and for the money you won't get more) and realise there is nothing but a PC input on the screen so you will need some bits, preferably an iscan, to make it work, why not? I can't see any ultras advertised at present, I might be able to offer temporary help, a pro-v if it's any use or practicality. A new one would take your bill to £1530 + wall mount. Richers seem a bit pricey for mounts, I'm sure you could do better. For £1.5k I doubt a better plasma picture is available. What have you got to connect to it?

10. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have not brought any bits yet other than my dvd player. I have the Panasonic SCDT310E, then im thinking of getting the Humax PVR8000T Digital box, or may be sepending a little less.

Im ok with the limited warrenty as long as the screen is not know to fail alot.
    I would like to get the Iscan too, but that would boost the price to £1600 and I might as well save the extra few hundred for a panny then. Is there another cheaper but good option to input all the devices to the screen???

what is a pro-v by the way???

Thanks
    Russ

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    A pro-v is a cheap line doubler. VGA, and 1 s-video input. But if your setup is that simple, then a JS RGB to VGA converter will do the biz. Just hook the DVD to 2nd scart on the STB, enable RGB on both, and then when you turn the DVD on, it will take precedence and appear on the screen. £150 inc cables then.

12. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cool, and as your a retailer, I can get one for you???

so is the screen the recommend one mate?? or is the "graded" often a worry.

the original screen I was going to go for was the Samsung PS42V4SX but this screen is a svaing of £800!!!!!!!!

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Not only saving money but way better. Yes you can buy stuff, converters, mounts etc from all good retailers, myself inc. The graded bit is only really a worry as it could be graded because it has dead pixels. Of course it might have just beed fired up for a bit of staff training, and have 3 hours on the clock, make sure you have the right to reject if it's not what you want.

14. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, if I go over to the shop, and try and get them to turn it on, will it show how long the run time is???
    also, like you said, will the report on the box show its faults, if there is no report is this a bad thing??

and if some of the pixels have gone, should I stay clear

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    depends how noticeable the dead ones are top line or around bezel, not too bad but others closer in the middle are more of a problem. if you were going to spend £1800 go see the Fujitsu get a good one if its not possible to see it running make sure you have a 14 day or even 7 day exchangepersonally i would go for the Iscan should be able to squeeze one for £500 espically if you buy the wall mount and cables altogether perhaps with the JS box for £800 from a good dealer. giving you a much much better set-up than a samsung or an LG, Where in UK are you?

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    its 42" plasma for 32/36" CRT money assuming Humax has S-video output and DVD has Component or S-video (it really should have S-video) you are well on your way. What audio system do you plan to use?

17. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi hornydragon,

Im in the midlands??

the humax has as follow i believe, Scart 1: RGB, S-Video, composite & stereo in; composite and S-Video out; Scart 2: RGB, S-Video, composite & stereo out Stereo audio, composite video via RCA.

The dvd I have is the Panasonic SCDT310E, it has both standard video out and s-video. the audio system it as follow, the rear and sub woofer are the ones that cam with the DVD system, the front speakers have been replaced with a pair a (big) TDL Studio 10 Speakers these are power by a denon amp (the one thats well known in the industry...cant think of the model....250se or something) this amp is connect to the DVD sytem via a special Line cable I had made so that the amp can be set at one volume and hidden and the level controled via the dvd system.

I really dont think I can stretch my budget to the Iscan, I could spend £1800, but it would be so tight on my money and if I can go anouther way about it then it would be much more helpful.

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    in that case leave the iscan as a "next month item" get RGB>VGA JS box for the FV, connecting DVD to second input on FV box as MAW has suggested. £150 + bracket and bits £300 and thats still cheaper than the samsung or LG, look out for a an add in classifieds forum for an Iscan pooping up, should be able to get one for £3-400 and is a very worthwhile investment.

19. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, need help again, just seen the Samsung PS42P2S for the same price as the fujitsu (both graded), what would be the better option?? The samsung is readly more available, but if the fujitsu is better I just hope a few more come out????

any further help please all

russ

20. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Fuji best, no contest.

21. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hehe. typical!!!!

If I struggle to get one from richers (graded), how much am i looking for one from somewhere else (like yourself) cause if you are saying fujitsu i a very good leading make, then there is no point in just going for the samsung cause its in stock.

22. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I don't do graded plasmas, not cos they're no use, just not core business for me. You could try Visionary in Primrose Hill?

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    There is a very good reason why they have Fujitsu's and loads of Samsungs, think about it.......

24. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont get ya

25. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Sorry insert "few" before the word Fujitsu.

26. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry mate, call me thick, but exlain.

also, are graded models ok, they wont die after the 3 month warrernty will they, gone worried now

27. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    They have few Fujitsu as they are more reliable and dont get returned, i guess it is a loss leader go to buy a fujitsu and the salesman will tell you how much better samsung etc is. It could or it could run for 5 years faultlessly, I would not buy unseen get it connected instore before you pay out any cash, also insist you see hours counter in service menu, over 10,000 hours i would shy away, i guess these are probably ex lease units, ideally you want one that was in board room on lease and then returned, hardly used and low hours, also look at the back of the set for marks etc from wall mounting etc.

28. glebecs

glebecs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got one of these £999 fujitsus from richer sounds in Norwich, great panel, no dead pixels etc (in fact no faults whatsoever, not even marks on the casing)

How do I get into the service menu to check the hours used?, any help appreciated

Andy

29. glebecs

glebecs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to say, mine came with video board with BNC and S-Video in, no scarts tho

30. glebecs

glebecs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found the service menu (hold down enter for 5 seconds ish) and the runtime shows 145hrs, I have had it since last Thursday and its been on probably 8 hours a day, so was very little used when I picked it up :)