1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fujitsu P42HHS10

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mike1, Apr 10, 2003.

1. mike1

mike1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just about to get my first plasma, should be simple enough I thought. So I read the reviwes and deceided on the pionner. Then I saw the panny oh dear not so simple after all. Anyway Now I am thinking Fujtisu P42HHS10 Dose any one have one yet? What is the tuner box like? and where can I demo it
    Thanks for any help

Mike:

2. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hello Mike,

There are a few references to the P42HHS10 on this forum but none from anyone that actually ownes one yet as it is so new. I am almost certainly going to get the 50" version when it is available in a few weeks so I have researched the spec in some depth. Just about all you need to know about the spec can be found on the Fujitsu website at http://www.fujitsu-general.co.uk/ . Also the model is reviewed as you probably know in this months 'What Video Widescreen' magazine.

Be aware that the seperate box that comes with the panel has no tuner incorporated. It basically has all the video processing circuitry in it and has all the connections on it. If you have a 'Sevenoakes Sound & Vision' store near you then thats your best bet for a viewing.

Good luck and be sure to post here if you get to see one.

Regards

Simon

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    mike1

As Lumpsucker mentions not too many owners of this 'new' Fujitsu model as yet.

I have had a play with one and was not as impressed as I was lead to believe I was going to be - do a search you'll see some comments from early last month. (Please note there has been some discussions about early models having a faulty switcher box - can't confirm if the unit I previewed was faulty or not).

I take it you have been considering a PlasmaTV model, such as the Pioneer PDP-433HDE with the external Tuner/Media Box; what you may want to consider is a Plasma Display model such as the Pioneer PDP-433MXE or Panasonic TH-42PWD5BX units that forgo the external TV Tuner and SCART switcher Media Boxes and generally give you a better picture quality with their simpler video circuitry; you can always use your AV amp as a video switcher if you have lots of video inputs.

Best regards

Joe

4. mike1

mike1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input it was helpfull. Joe when you say the fujitsu was not as good as you expected, compaired too what? I am off to 7oaks Watford in the morning droping off my Meridian 596 for upgrade. I am hopeing they will have the P42HHS10 on demo so I can see for my self

Mike

5. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    hi mike,

did you get a chance to demo the fujitsu because i'm thinking of getting one.

i was gonna for the panny but the flicker put me off, another one i have in mind is the new 42" yamaha.

dvd :smoke:

6. mike1

mike1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD

No they did not have one and also had no info, very dissapointing.I thought the same about the panny. How much is the yamaha and have you seen one? If anyone knows dose the Fujtish meidia box do A to D audio conversion (very handy for 568 owners)

Mike

7. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mike, I think 7Oakes are going well with the HHA version (i.e. without the tuner box). PQ is very good and shows none of the artifacts that Gordon and Joe found with the HHS. Beware of any noise sensitivity you may have:(

8. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    mike,

the new yamaha 50" PDM-1 is in this months home cinema choice.

they gave the yamaha 4 stars,i think the price knocked a star off(£8499) rrp.

the PDM-1 is a re-badged panny,but yamaha say the have made improvements.

when i looked at their web site there was no 42" version,strange to bring out a 50" before a 42" :confused:

http://www.yamaha-audio.co.uk/visual/plasmascreen/pdm-1/index.php

dvd:smoke:

9. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    DVD.
    I may be mistaken, but have got the impression from magazines that Yamaha are not bringing a 42" model out.

Nick (NCPL),
    How have you got on with the P42HHA ?
    Have you got used to the noise. I am still wondering about what to purchase, but your experience made me back off again !

Steve.

10. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Steve,
    I had a replacement screen last week. The dealer did acknowledge that the noise was OTT on the original unit. 2nd unit whilst slightly less offensive is still too loud for me. No doubt the engineers would verify it being in spec and I'm sure there will be loads of happy customers who won't mind it, but, at £4k, I think it is a very poor 'feature'. The PQ is still excellent though.

End result is a swap out for an MXE. Not sure when it will be here as yet. Various folks on the forum have confirmed it is a silent machine which hopefully combined with its very high PQ will make me a happy chappy.

Jeez, I'll be in trouble with the guys now you've blamed me for you backing off ;) ;) ;)

11. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Nick,
    Sorry did'nt mean to blame you, others had hinted a some noise, you just confirmed it. I suspect that many people will not notice the fans on the P42HHA, in the same way as some people don't notice the flicker in the series 5 panasonic (woops, should'nt have mentioned that again !).
    Anyway, not to disturb this thread too much, but I was then going to purchase the P422HHS with the external box, but the comments on the early models were discouraging. (maybe an early production fault).
    So I'm now waiting for the MXE with a silver bezel, and a keydigital card. (with a large bank loan). Strange how we all have high requirements for our £4k - £6k.

Good luck with the MXE.

Steve.
    :)

12. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers. Will no doubt post a few comparisons when ready.

13. the oracle

the oracle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused:
    Nick. I thought you were well pleased with your Fuji. I'm suprised at you for swapping it. Could you not live with the noise then? I've xperienced very little with mine... maybe I can't hear that frequency or something?:zonked:
    Were Sevenoaks happy to swap it over for you, or are you going elsewhere?

14. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oracle.
    Apologies for the shock and I am indeed very pleased with the PQ. However, IMO, the noise is too much. Glad to hear that you are OK though as I know it's probably a mixture of personal sensitivity and specific install details.
    Mine seems to reflect back from a hard, paper/painted, plaster wall and I can't not hear it.
    My wife is a whole lot less picky than me, but, even she is not immune to the constant drone (of the screen; not me before you ask for clarification :p )

At present, 7 Oakes are handling the swap. I haven't yet confirmed any price differential with them. I am expecting that the price diff. will be negligable as the MXE is a few hundred cheaper than the HHA at list, although they did have a good deal running on the first couple they had in stock. The guys there are pretty good and know the prices I was looking at before we went down the Fuji route, so I expect it will all be right in the end.

15. Daniel Booker

Daniel Booker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a brand new Fujitsu 42HHA for sale at £2995.00!!

The only difference is that the HHS comes with a tuner box. You probably wont need this anyway as you can simply use your VCR. The difference in actual performance is negligable.
    Tel 07736325278.

16. mike1

mike1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Daniel the HHS dose not come with a tuner, the externial box containes all the processing electronics and switching. I think I am going to wait untill I can do a side by side comparison then deside
    Thanks anyway

Mike

17. Daniel Booker

Daniel Booker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem. Your right about the box, i thought it was a tuner but it is only processor/switcher.

Dan

18. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve36

Are you still waiting for the Pioneedr MXE and Key Digital card?