1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fujitsu p42hhs10 es

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by hutchys, Dec 15, 2003.

1. hutchys

hutchys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know how these screens match up compared to the 434 and the panny phd6, they look to be £1000+ dearer than them approximatly, do they give a better pq for this price increase or is it better to look at the other two and choose between these for my plasma?
    Also seen the new hitachi 5000? on the net could this be included in the list?
    Your thoughts good/bad are welcome.
    thanks
    jim

2. hutchys

hutchys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no one seen the fujitsu?done a search on here not much information available, will try avs forums in the meantime.
    jim

3. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    A while ago these screens were viewed by a couple of forum members who stated that they had seen the fujitsu and it did'nt look very good.
    That said, one supplier has told me that he saw one that was not very good, but has sold one to a customer who was very satisfied.
    The only place I have seen the HHS model is harrods where it was fed by a really bad transmitted composite signal.

You could try SEVENOAKS, the branch at sevenoaks used to have one on display in July.
    I did'nt bother searching one out due to comments from people on the forum whose view I trust.

Steve

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There was one at cedia, not very impressive, but it's a long time ago now, I don't really remember it that well. Can't have stood out. But them mostly you like alis screens or you don't, so take a look, and the new Hitachi is probably similar.

5. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi MAW, I see you've risen to the bait again. MAW and Alis, has a nice ring to it don't you think? :rotfl: :rotfl: :D Have a good Christmas.

ASH1 :smashin:

6. hutchys

hutchys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    funny that there is not a great deal written about this screen, the few reviews i have managed to track down give very good reviews.There does seem a lot of fujitsu screens available with similar looking numbers-hha 10es-vha 20es-hca11 to name three!and the difference between these???looks like it's back to the searches again to find that improbable plasma perfection!
    jim

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Ash, not really risen to the bait, just pointing out the Hitachi is cheaper and much the same. If that was the choice for me, I'd almost certainly save some money and buy the Hitachi. Of course I would not be seen dead with alis....

8. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I do not think the hitachi is not the same as the FJ HHS. This model has a faroujia processor, which according to some reports is good.
    Whatvideotv gave it a good write up, whatever that means, the magazines are all currently giving the impression that the Pioneer 434 is faultless.

Steve

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    VHA and HHA are older models IIRc the new ones are supposed to be superb! their is a marked difference between a PA20 and HHA. HHA superior in every department but it is more money!!!!

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    All new kit gets superb write ups. Funny that. Whilst these days it's difficult to buy truly bad electronics, they can't all be the best ever, can they? And just having the right name on one little chip means not much.

11. kifimoto

kifimoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i saw the HHS and HHA side-by-side at the WhatHiFi show in London. The HHS is a lot more expensive than the HHA but you get a more advanced processing and more connections with it. The difference in picture quality is noticeable with the HHS being sharper and the graduation is better.
    i'll still say my pio434 is the best tho
    :clap:

12. hutchys

hutchys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks kifimoto,
    If you could buy the hhs for £4500 inc tuner box would the 434 still be better iyo?
    jim

13. YS-YS

YS-YS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the HHA30 has just come out, and its much much better then the previous one, but im waiting to see the HHS30 which isnt in the shops yet.

14. kifimoto

kifimoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the reason why i went for the 434 in the end was down to 2 reasons - the availability of the connections and the styling.
    The fujitsu looks very good but i really like the gloss black styling - and it's an inch larger!
    the 434's got HDMI and i really like the PC card slot for viewing photos on compact flash cards!
    to be honest the quality of the pq is not that great..

15. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    which PQ is not that great ? Pioneer or Fujitsu ?

16. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The difference between the vha range and the HHA is the glass. I don't think one is "superior" to the other. Some people prefer the ALIS (I have no idea why though) and others prefer the Panny glass, which has a much, much higher contrast ratio (more than triple). On avsforum, most agree that the VHA is far superior to the HHA when viewed side by side, and is considered the best EDTV display.

I remember Gordon looking at the ALIS fujitsu and not liking it very much. There was also a HHA at Event II and it was considered the worst.

I think in the case of the HHA vs PVHA, more money does not equal better image.

Also, The VHA and HHA are not older models, its the numbers at the end which change, VHA20 is old, VHA30 new, HHA10 is old, HHA30 is new etc.

The models are like this:

VHA30 = panny 6 glass with avm 4000:1 c/r

HHA30 = e-alis glass with avm 1000:1 c/r

HHS30 = e-aslis glass with avm+ (outboard processing) A real waste of money for the dcdi chip. 1000:1 c/r

The VCA range, or anything with a C in are black comercial models.

17. kifimoto

kifimoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the time of writing i had only got my 434 and i didn't realise the Telewest digibox has RGB output so the PQ on it was only so so. With the right sources the 434 is fab!

18. 38H21543

38H21543

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Looking through a number of threads there are some people that don't like "ALIS" technology.
    Recently, eg. "MAW" wrote: "But them mostly you like alis screens or you don't,"

OK, some personal opinion, but could you indicate what to look for to help understand the issue?
    eg. Hitachi 500 ALIS v Panasonic 6 low res / low brightness / high contrast.
    Yet Pioneer is considered great with relatively low (similar to Hitachi) contrast values.

19. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With the pioneer you get milky blacks. With the panasonic you get alot better blacks. With the Pioneer you get HD, with the panasoic you get ED. The pioneer is also alot more expensive.

This sums it up. Have a demo and make your mind up.

ALIS is not HD, it is interlaced 1024x1024. I wouldn't pick one because they are not true HD and they don't have the high contrast that they Pannys do. They can also have motion artifacts and are expensive.

20. YS-YS

YS-YS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL, timmy check your information, the 30ES hha and hhs are 3000:1, and may i say stunning.

21. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    38H21543

The ALIS debate will rage for ever - or as long as Fujitsu continue to produce panels aimed at the Video market that use this technology.

ALIS is a Fujitsu technology that enables Fujitsu to make panels with 'more' pixels for less money - in fact the technology is such that in basic terms they are 'cheating' (sorry bending the rules) and counting each pixel twice.

The problem is that the technology has to display each full frame ova video as two fields - though they do it roughly two times quicker that you get on any other display and hope you dont notice.

This then means that if you input a progressive video signal or have an one board progressive deinterlacer (Faroudja) on one of the high end ALIS panels you then have to let the panel strip that progressive signal apart to display it as two fields.

All this processing means more opportunities to introduce motion and other visual artefacts and whilst the ALIS panels look good with some source material they can look down right weird with way too many videos for me.

I've not seen the new 30 series units as yet so will reserve judgement on those unit until we see a dem.

The other strange thing about Fujitsu is that they now seem to be marketing ALIS as a high end technology and then buy in Panasonic 852x480 panels for the less expensive range.

Best regards

Joe

PS Pioneer and Panasonic displays are not perfect - just less flawed :)

PPS Ys-Ys - Not picking Timmy B up on his choice of generation for the glass in a VHA30?

22. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I have yet to figure how Fujitsu manage to market ALIS as a high end panel when Hitachi, their development partner, knock them out cheap. How can the hitachi be £1000 less than the equivalent Fujitsu, using the same glass. On their web site, Fujitsu say the glass accounts for 80% of the cost of a screen. The maths looks strange to me.

23. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HHA30 are 1000:1, and I don't know why your LOL about it.:rolleyes:

I have no idea about the HHS30, a google search came up with nothing. The HHS10 used the same alis glass as the HHA10, so I assumed the HHS30 did the same. Also the fujitsu press releases said nothing about 2 seperate ALIS technologies.

Regarding the 6/7th series glass, I can only go by what Fujitsu and their dealers tell me, and they still claim its an updated 6th series (and thus 7th series).

http://www.plasmavision.com/Plasma_PDF/2004 Plasma Comparison Table.pdf

24. YS-YS

YS-YS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I talked about the glass in another post as some of you have seen, if you saw my last couple of posts on that thread you would know why i didnt say anything regarding it.

regarding the site link you have put up.
    well there are a few things that need to be looked at.
    I could swear they were ES not WS
    and I know for certain the HHA30 doesnt have DVI, umm and if you want to argue with me on this point i could always take a picture for you.

25. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I saw the VHA20 and the HHA10 next to each other, side by side. One costing 6500 euros and the other one costing 9000 euros. They had a shared source together with 20 other displays but I found the more expensive HHA10 giving a much brighter and sharper display. It was the first time that I saw a screen that good looking, even if I stood less than 1 feet away from it I was impressed with it, still remaining detailed where other screens become blurry. How could it be that in this store everyone agrees that the HHA10 gives the best quality?p.s. it's a Mediamarkt, big discounter supermarket store, so the people who agree with me on this one aren't the ' plasma-experts ' though :cool:

26. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YS-YS, The link (from america and hence the WS) was to show you that the contrast ratio was 1000:1 for alias screens and not 3000:1 which you had stated, and nothing to do with what has dvi!? Every site selling the HHA in the UK says 1000:1. Why would I want to argue over dvi when I didn't even talk about dvi, I was talking about contrast ratios.

All I know re dvi is that all american sets (WS) have dvi and vha30 and HHA30 does not. I know very little about the HHS30. Just like the HHS10, it will not be released in America.

Davidgilmour,

Unless you have the remote control and calibrated both plasmas and looked at dark DVDs (panic room for example) then you are never going to know which one is best in a store.