Fujitsu 58 Series v Pioneer 436XDE v Panasonic 42"

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by tintin jones, Aug 3, 2006.

1. tintin jones

tintin jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Basically which is the best 42" plasma i can get?
    i've heard great things about Fujitsu 58 Series but havent seen one, the pioneer 436XDE gets unbelievable reviews in mags etc and looks great but i've read about the retention issues and Panasonic are always going to be of a high standard so i'm wondering which is the BEST??

2. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    That's a pretty straightforward one. It's a pretty safe bet to say that installers and recent purchasers will favour the Fujitsu for sheer picture quality. The Pioneer is an outgoing model whereas the Fujitsu 58 series is a new screen with new technology. It is aways advisable to demo screens before you purchase if at all possible so I'd recommend you contact ask your local Fujitsu dealer and check it out for yourself.

Regards

Alastair:hiya:

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    YEP Fujitsu is far and away the best of the current crop and wouldnt you know it the most expensive too :) go get a demo and see for your self (you wont find one in currys so let us know where you are and we can point you at a local one)

4. tintin jones

tintin jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Thanks alastair, to be honest i've never even seen a pic of Fujitsu 58 Series cant seem to find anything reliable on the net (with a picture)
    plus i'm really asking this question a bit early since i wont be purchasing for 6 months. just getting a feel of what considered the best at the moment.

hornydragon i live in Ireland so the plot tickens even further

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  6. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,302
    hi mate, i will cut a long story short for you.....

i love the pioneer looks, but the panasoic has a better picture so i bought it a few months back.

then the Fujitsu 58 series was released, it looks better than the pioneer and has a better picture than the panasonic.

no matter what anyone here says about the pioneer vs panasonics, the Fuji 58 series is the best screen available :smashin:

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,568
    Hello tintin jones

Keep in mind that whilst your comparing Apples with Apples you have two flavours of Apples - Plasma Display vs. PlasmaTV.

Generally the best of the Plasma Display's will outperform the best of the PlasmaTV's - though you often have to spend a bit more cash on the overall purchase to get all of your sources working with the Display; plus you don't have an inbuilt Terrestrial or Satellite tuner so again possibly some extra cash outlay.

If the Plasma Display format works best for you then the Fujitsu P42XHA58EB is ahead of the rest of the pack in terms of image quality and video processing.

If a PlasmaTV works best for you then its a closer call between the best of the units on offer from Panasonic and Pioneer - Fujitsu don't have a PlasmaTV as such that's in the same 'mould' as the Pioneer and Panasonic models.

The New Pioneer PDP-427XD is due next month and in some ways is quite a departure from what has come before it so its going to be interesting to see how it stacks up.

If you want the best image that can be had currently in a 42" Display go with the Fujitsu 58 Series.

Best regards

Joe

PS Just read your last post - you'd better stock up on headache pills; your going to be on here on the hour every hour for the next six months worrying about what to purchase :devil:

8. tintin jones

tintin jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Thanks everyone great responses here already!! Joe much appreciate your post i hadnt even realised Fujitsu 58 Series was a display as opposed to a tv (as i said i havent heard much about them apart from how great they were ha) and i know what you mean about the extra cash involved installing inputs...this decision is getting harder lucky i've six months to decide

(on a whole other batch of plasma's no doubt)

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    but the Fujitsu is more TV like than the PAnels from Pioneer and panasonic all it lacks is a tuner (sat box can do this etc) and speakers (which are optional)

10. skooby

skooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    stlightly OT

I see some specs for the Pioneer PDP-427XD say that its ISF C3 does this mean that its had some sort of calibration up and above what plasma normaly come with.

skooby

PS i have a fujitsu 58 series and would buy it every day of the week its just superb.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,568
    Hello skooby

Think of C3 as your Calibrators 'playground' within the Pioneer set-up system.

With the correct hardware and software an 'approved' calibrator can access certain normally 'locked' features and can set up extra 'pre sets' to add to the list of 'picture' modes on offer; you may for example want to create a calibrated day-time and night-time viewing mode.

Once created the Calibrated modes can be 'locked' to ensure no one messes then up.

See http://www.milori.com/products/c3remote/pioneer_elite.asp

Best regards

Joe

12. skooby

skooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Joe Fernand

that for that answer.

no then to it been pre calibrated but just saying that it can be 'easily' caliabrated.

OT BTW

The notion of calibration infers that each screen is differs in it performance and not by only a little. this i find intresting though it may be only me who does find it intresting.lol
    skooby

13. SP00KY

SP00KY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    No Skooby, it IS interesting :suicide:

Oh, and another vote for the Fuji 58 - love it :D

14. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Joe gave a good reply to the C3 question.

To expand, from a calibrator's point of view - it gives calibrators the chance to do more with certain screens provided the calibrator has the right software (and more importantly if the display allows full access to all the controls that need to be changed to optimise the picture). ISF day and ISF night picture modes can be calibrated on some Pioneer plasmas and various projectors - the next generation of Pioneer plasmas will / should have all the controls needed. The current generation are limited unless the input is progressively scanned.