1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fujitsu 5004 & P50XHA10ES

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Branxx, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been offered a good deal on Fujitsu 5004. Dealer has also P50XHA10ES but it is £600 extra. They are both 50" plasmas.

I've seen both of them and they appear identical in picture quality, fan noise and generated heat. He is offering a choice of connection modules at no extra cost.

Technical specification also look identical.

Can anyone offer some explanation about the differences between these two models?

2. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've spoken to Fujitsu UK technical support and got the short answer: P50XHA is this years model number, otherwise they are 'identical'.

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi Branxx,

The P50 has an HDCP-compliant DVI input which may be useful if you fancy a DVI output DVD player in the future. HD-DVD will almost certainly be output only from HDMI sockets, which are fully backwards-compatible with DVI-HDCP.

Steve

4. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dutch,

P50XHA costs about £600 more than 5004. I have to think if this is a reasonable extra for HDCP compliant DVI.

Are there any DVD players that do DVI HDCP?

Assuming that they would appear within the next 3 years, by with time the price of a plasma screen bought today would depreciate by 75%, the £600 difference today would add to only £150 on the resale value.

On the other hand I watch DVD exlusively via HTPC that I would feed into plasma (most likely) via VGA.

In any case, thanks for poiting this out.

Any other known differences?

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi Branxx,

At the moment there is only one DVI player that needs an HDCP compliant display, which is the Samsung HD931. The Bravo D1 and Momitsu ouput 720p and 1080i through the DVI without the need for a non-HDCP display which isn't strictly within the rules. ;) As you say, HD-DVD will probably be 3 years away so you may as well get the 5004 and keep the £600.

Steve

6. IanM

IanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Branxx,

If you use a HTPC for playing DVDs then I can recommend using a DVI instead of VGA connection to the screen. It means that the signal stays in the digital domain from the DVD to the screen, which, whilst not being a guarantee of a perfect picture, certainly helps.

I've got a P50 and I thought that the VGA connection gave a stunning image until I tried DVI...

As Dutch says, DVI-equipped DVD players are beginning to appear and most reviews of the picture quality are very favourable. Scaling can be done in the player or externally but DVI cannot handle interlaced signals so you must use the player's deinterlacer. But, as long this is of a decent quality, then using DVI helps by avoiding any D2A and A2D conversions. Although, as Gordon has mentioned before, an SDI output to enable better(and much more expensive) offboard deinterlacing would be even nicer.

Cheers,
    Ian.

7. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would like to try DVI from HTPC but all my attempts so far with RADEON cards created 'virtual display' when a custom resolution is created and used via DVI head.

I have JVC DILA G10 projector that requires 1365x1024 and in last few years I cannot get rid of virtual display on DVI head. Over the weekend I've tried 1368x768 and it again ended in virtual display.

What video card are you using. Do you have exact mapping between your HTPC defined resolution and plasma pixels, i.e. can you display exaclty 1366x768?

8. IanM

IanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm using a Radeon 9700 Pro, although I also got it working with a 9000. I used the instructions on the following thread on the US AVSForum :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=231878

Look for a post by Wayne Zwold on page 2.

Basically it involved using Powerstrip and a specific plasma inf file. You also have to do a double click on a monitor icon to "uncap" the monitor.

The "native" resolution on the Fujitsu via DVI is actually only 1360x768, so you lose 3 columns of pixels on either side, but I reckon that's a fair trade to get a pixel perfect DVI-fed display on the rest of the screen.

I don't know whether this will work for your projector but it might be a starting point to fiddle from.

Cheers,
    Ian.

9. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I found this thread on AVSForum. The summary is:

* the P50 and 5004 can be driven at 1360x768 on the vga input.

* the 5004 can be driven at 1360x768 on the dvi input.

* the P50 can be driven at 1360x768 on the dvi input, but isn't as clear as on the 5004, possibly due to HDCP.

It seems HDCP is having some side effects.

10. IanM

IanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I can't really compare, having not seen it on the 5004, but DVI clearly beats VGA on the P50. It seems strange that HDCP could affect the quality of a digital signal but I've no idea how it works so maybe it does! Sounds a poor design though.

I can believe that the 5004 is almost the same as the P50. When I was looking around it was my favourite screen (just edging the Panny for me), but always far more expensive than the Panny or Pio. As a result I never really considered it until the new one came out at a competitive price with even more connections.

Is the videoboard slot on the 5004 compatible with the new videoboards for the P50? If not then that might be one reason to go for the later model.

Cheers,
    Ian.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I wouldn't chance the new video board with the old screen whatever, even the same model screens from fujitsu have to have their serial numbers matched with the right board. The DVI interface and fujitsu is a can of worms with HTPC, well known to be reasonably tricky, sohow it is with a DVD player I'd not like to second guess. I avoid the fujitsu for DVI as I have no time for that, you'd be better with a 503 MXE, your Radeon will pick it straight up, no messing. The picture is also astounding.

12. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks everyone for the advise. I have decided to buy Fujitsu 5004. It cost me new £4,700 inc VAT and delivery (but I live quite close to the dealer's shop).

13. Urotsukidoji

Urotsukidoji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you buy one at that price?

14. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got it from PortablesDirect. Ask for Andy.

He gave me several demos showing 5004 and P50XHA10. I have reasonable long experience in dealing with audio/video dealers and I find him to be pleasant and to the point.

There are some special deals he has that are much cheaper than his prices on the web site.