Fujitsu 50" Plasma Choice and Connections

murakami

Standard Member
Hellow fellow forumites:hiya:

I am contemplating the purchase of a 50'' Fujitsu plasma and choosing between P50XHA40US and a corresponding GS models.

I have Arcam AVR300 and DV79 and planning to connect iPlayer, BS2 and VCR. However I have a rather confined space in my sideboard so that prefer to avoid the media box (which is pretty useles as a tuner given it is analogue only) occupying an extra space. I understand if I go the GS route i could use the media box as the main switching hub. Alternatively could I go with P50XHA40US and use AVR300 to do most of the switching as follows:

1. AVR300 to Plasma via component;
2. iPlayer to AVR300 through component (via SCART out on iPlayer) for video and optical for audio;
3. PS2 to AVR300 through component for video and optical for audio;
4. VCR to AVR300 through SCART to s-video/2phono (it is an old Philips VR608/07 outputting CVBS on SCART1 and Euro Decoder/RGB loop through on SCART2). Could such a signal be passed via the mentioned cable? Would AVR300 be able to upscale an s-video signal into component?

So:

1. Do you think the avoce connection scheme work?
2. Would I lose any picture quality with AVR300 doing the switching?
3. Other than the connectivity (such as no SCARTs on the US) and switching are there differences between the US and GS models?
4. More specifically, are there any other downsides in US compared to GS to think of?

oh and to add another variable, I heard there is a new model (P50XTA51ES) release as we speak - is it worth a consideration against the above US/GS model?

Thank you for your help

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
murakami said:
1. AVR300 to Plasma via component; Fine
2. iPlayer to AVR300 through component (via SCART out on iPlayer) for video and optical for audio; Fine as long as you can get Y Pb Pr out of the scart socket
3. PS2 to AVR300 through component for video and optical for audio; Fine
4. VCR to AVR300 through SCART to s-video/2phono (it is an old Philips VR608/07 outputting CVBS on SCART1 and Euro Decoder/RGB loop through on SCART2). Could such a signal be passed via the mentioned cable? Would AVR300 be able to upscale an s-video signal into component? Wont work unless its an S-VHS deck if its VHS you need to use scart to composite + Audio, I am not sure if the Arcam up converts check with your dealer

So:

1. Do you think the above connection scheme work? Yes if Arcam upconverts (if not you need component and composite fedd to plasma so no big deal)
2. Would I lose any picture quality with AVR300 doing the switching? Should be fine

oh and to add another variable, I heard there is a new model (P50XTA51ES) release as we speak - is it worth a consideration against the above US/GS model? Saw this last weekend and loved it it looks asthetically stunning only downside is the Veira style lump on the back but if i had the cash mine would be ordered already

Thank you for your help your welcome
see above in BOLD

g852

Do you know if the 55xts will be realeased as well?
And do the xts models come with the side speakers or are they extra? Thanks.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
g852 said:
Do you know if the 55xts will be realeased as well?
And do the xts models come with the side speakers or are they extra? Thanks.
GrahamMG is the man to ask but i think side speakers are always extra with Fujitsu they aim at the market where customers will have a sound system already or having it installed with the screen Fujitsu dont make tellys

murakami

Standard Member
HD thank you for the comprehensive reponse, mate :thumbsup:

as it happens ACR300 does upconvert, which means the switching should be fine.

However back to the original question - is there much to chose between the three plasmas? I do not like the idea of the built-in analogue tuner (why do they still do it in theis day and age?) - complete wast of space/size. The fundamental PQ is the most important Q

GrahamMG

The P50XTA51ES is available as a package including speakers and stand (or wall bracket) at £3495, the built in tuner is indeed analogue as the unit was designed as a entry level 50" screen so had to have a tuner like all the other manufacturers really....... At least at that price you won't be too upset if you don't use it..... Buying a set currently with a built in digital tuner (and they are a £300 ish cost over the analogue only sets judging from the other manufacturers) might not go down so well in 6 months or so when a lot of new technology hits the streets...... I'd advise a separate STB for the forseeable future if you want to take advantage of digital advances....
The speakers on all our screens are removable.
The PQ as Horny says was very very good indeed.....

redpavlos

murakami said:
Hellow fellow forumites:hiya:

I am contemplating the purchase of a 50'' Fujitsu plasma and choosing between P50XHA40US and a corresponding GS models.

I think it largely depends on how and where you plan to house your AV kit in relation to the screen.

I've got the media box version, as I didn't want loads of cables going across the room to the panel. A single powered DVI cable does the job for me, with the media box acting as a hub/switcher located some distance away.

The analogue tuner may be a bit of anachronism, but does no harm. The media box offers a good range of input options.

Given good sources, from what I've seen, the PQ can be second to none on both versions.

g852

I like the fujitsus, they're a very good alternative to the pio's/pannys, have excellent pq and are reasonably priced. Does anyone know (grahamMG perhaps..) if the 55" will be released with a media box as an XTS version? The separate box would make it easier for connections. I only ask as in the US they seem to have a 55xts version. Thanks.

murakami

Standard Member
HD, so between the US/GS model and P50XTA51ES which one do you rate higher (assuming the same price point)?

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
murakami said:
HD, so between the US/GS model and P50XTA51ES which one do you rate higher (assuming the same price point)?
TBH i dont think there is alot in it the US was King GS A US with pointless media box (you can do one cable connection without a media box) i doubt they will be the same price point, i personally prefer the gloss black of the 58ES to the silver of the 40US connecitvity wise both are similar, neither have an HDCP DVi innput capable of native res at 50/60/ 75Hz if they did it would be a huge coup..........go get a demo

bix

One for Graham...

If the DVI can't accept 50Hz, does the media box convert the frame rate to 60Hz from Pal sources?

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
g852 said:
So Mr Dragon, which would you have, a panny or fujitsu? (and why)
Well Mr g852, I have a panny would love a Fujitsu, Fujitsu are a little special (especailly the panny glassed ones) I would (ignoring cost) go for a gloss black debadged and logo'd P50XHA40US but i am not you......

g852

hornydragon said:
Well Mr g852, I have a panny would love a Fujitsu, Fujitsu are a little special (especailly the panny glassed ones) I would (ignoring cost) go for a gloss black debadged and logo'd P50XHA40US but i am not you......
Indeed you're not me! However, your opinion is valued and I offer thanks! I do agree with your choice, a very good panel by all accounts. I'm leaning towards the 55" but have to go see them both first....

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
g852 said:
Indeed you're not me! However, your opinion is valued and I offer thanks! I do agree with your choice, a very good panel by all accounts. I'm leaning towards the 55" but have to go see them both first....
I think the image of the 50 is much better than the 55 which is amucgh older panel the 63" is stunning but needs calibration and serious scaler/sources I would rather have 5" less and better image, but if you are sitting along way away then the extra size may benefit you

murakami

Standard Member
hornydragon said:
TBH i dont think there is alot in it the US was King GS A US with pointless media box (you can do one cable connection without a media box) i doubt they will be the same price point, i personally prefer the gloss black of the 51ES to the silver of the 40US connecitvity wise both are similar, neither have an HDCP DVi innput capable of native res at 50/60/ 75Hz if they did it would be a huge coup..........go get a demo

Thanks again HD!

Anyone know of any places in London where I could demo both P50XHA40US and P50XTA51ES side by side?

g852

The distance would be about 12-14ft. I didn't know the 55 was an older panel, interesting....Ideally 63" Oh yes! But for the cost of that plus scaler, I could get two 50" panels! and maybe a 42"! But like I said, I have to go and see them. I do like the panny's also, but as the fujitsus are very good and do come highly recommended (courtesy of Mr. Dragon amongst others), I'm going to do some serious investigating....

redpavlos

bix said:
If the DVI can't accept 50Hz, does the media box convert the frame rate to 60Hz from Pal sources?

The DVI input is fine at 50 Hz, as are the other inputs. No frame rate conversion takes place.

But if you want true 1:1 pixel mapping then you do need to supply 1366x768 60 Hz. This is how I drive it from my laptop, and it's spectacular for digital photos.

g852

redpavlos said:
The DVI input is fine at 50 Hz, as are the other inputs. No frame rate conversion takes place.

But if you want true 1:1 pixel mapping then you do need to supply 1366x768 60 Hz. This is how I drive it from my laptop, and it's spectacular for digital photos.

How would you rate it for normal viewing from SD sources? Sky etc

redpavlos

hornydragon said:
GS A US with pointless media box (you can do one cable connection without a media box) i

I think that's a little unfair!

It really does depend on what sources you have. In my case, I use the media box to connect hdmi, DVI, component, and two Scart inputs. Very occasionally, composite video and S-video too.

I've no doubt that could all be done through one cable connection with the US too, probably connected through an external scaler. But the media box gives a neat solution that suits me.

redpavlos

g852 said:
How would you rate it for normal viewing from SD sources? Sky etc

On Freeview using a Topfield PVR, and viewing critically, I rate SD as 'very good' for film source material, and generally 'good' for interlaced video. Often the limiting factor is the broadcast bit rate.

I haven't seen another plasma (or LCD!) display that does better though.

No doubt one of the better external scalers would improve the displayed quality of interlaced video sources, I'd be interested try one sometime. But the PQ is more than good enough for it not to be a burning issue for normal viewing, which for me usually takes place at a distance of about 10-12 feet.

murakami

Standard Member
here is another connection quesion for you, lads. :hiya:

P50XHA40US is going to be wall mounted with cables being buried in the wall. I plan to run the following leads to the plasma:

- 1x component to connect to the AV receiver (which will handle switching for all SD sources)
- 1x HDMI cable to connect to the DVD player (might later add an HDMI switch or a scaler once other HD sources come about)
- 1x DVI cable, just in case I want to connect a laptop or an external scaler with DVI outs at a later stage.

This leaves me with a spare component and a composite connections on the plasma. Is it worth running a spare lead for either of those (i.e. will I ever need them) or just rely on AVR300 or external switch for extra connections?

I appreciate it is a rather personal choice (and currently I don't need either of the extra connections and would rather avoid extra wire hanging about) but given how much extra work would be involved it becomes a rther important one-off decision should I ever need them I'd really appreciate your experience :)

Avi

Distinguished Member
murakami said:
here is another connection quesion for you, lads. :hiya:

P50XHA40US is going to be wall mounted with cables being buried in the wall. I plan to run the following leads to the plasma:

- 1x component to connect to the AV receiver (which will handle switching for all SD sources)
- 1x HDMI cable to connect to the DVD player (might later add an HDMI switch or a scaler once other HD sources come about)
- 1x DVI cable, just in case I want to connect a laptop or an external scaler with DVI outs at a later stage.

This leaves me with a spare component and a composite connections on the plasma. Is it worth running a spare lead for either of those (i.e. will I ever need them) or just rely on AVR300 or external switch for extra connections?

I appreciate it is a rather personal choice (and currently I don't need either of the extra connections and would rather avoid extra wire hanging about) but given how much extra work would be involved it becomes a rther important one-off decision should I ever need them I'd really appreciate your experience :)

I would seriously recommend a video processor such as Lumagen in your setup. This will act as a hub for all video sources and get the very best PQ from the display. It also means you can run just one (HDMI) cable to the display and let the VP do the rest. I have a P50XHA40US and all video including PC is via a Lumagen HPD as described.

Avi

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022