Fujitsu 42VHA30 vs. Sony PFM42V1E

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by hansg, May 25, 2004.

1. hansg

hansg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A simple question from a simple guy. :)

I would like to hear arguments for and against these two plasmas. How do they compare against each other in terms of regular TV and DVD watching?

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Fuji wins hands down :smashin:

Best thing is to demo them both and then decide which looks best to YOU ;)

JJ

3. Deron

Deron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I own the Fuji and can recommend it heartily.

When you are spending over 2.5k on something it better be nigh on perfect.

Regular tv will depend on what you feed it. I have sky+ fed to it via svideo and the picture is fantastic. I rarely see solarisation on low quality feeds, but nothing annoying.

I stepped up from a Sony Wega 100hz crt which was perfect and I don't regret it one bit.

DVD is perfect, but it's to be expected. I have stereo speakers for the missus and son. They love it.

4. hansg

hansg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I appreciate both your comments although they don't really bring any new information to me. I know both choices are probably good. I also know both brands have their advocates.

I'm mostly interested in hearing from people who have actually _compared_ both products in real life and perhaps chosen one over the other.

5. Gregorski

Gregorski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I don't own a plasma, but from what I've read you won't find many Sony fans on the Plasma forum

6. hansg

hansg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, if that's so then I guess there's a legitimate reason for it. I wish some of those non-fans would just make their point so I would know. ;)

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Red rag to a bull..... Sony make some good electronics. They don't make plasma panels, they buy them in from Fujitsu/hitachi in the instance here. You can buy the same thing near enough from Hitachi for a huge amount less money, and IMHO the hitachi looks better. But I'd still choose the VHA30, the particular technology in the Sony/hitachi panel does not agree with my eyes, it lights up alternate lines of the screen and I can see it happening.

8. hansg

hansg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not at all. I'm not an advocate of either brand. As a matter of fact, I think your response is actually the first one to contain detailed reasons for or against.

I have read one quite positive (professional) review of the Sony. The reviewers position was favorable. (http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/sony-pfm42v1.html)

I haven't seen any Fujitsu reviews or comparison tests by professional reviewers between the two units. I would really love to find both but there doesn't seem to be too much of this kind of info available in the net.

Regarding price, both units would cost me the same so that's not an issue to me.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Reviews are to be taken with a pinch of salt, sometimes I wonder if they found the 'on' button! The picture on the sony is shimmery and noisy to my eyes, and don't you think the folks who make the glass would do a better job of telling their pixels what to do? I cannot imagine Fujitsu/Hitachi disclosing every secret in their book to Sony. This is maybe why Sony do not appear comitted to plasma, but are working very hard on LCD technology. If the one in my David Lloyd club is anything to go by, they've got a distance to travel there too. But historically, they've overcome technical problems and got the product right in the end, so we live in hope.

10. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have the Sony's predecessor, the TS2, and am reasonably pleased with it. I looked at all the possibilities at the time (about a year ago), including Fujitsu's offerings, and concluded the Sony had the best picture quality. The reasons it is not popular on these forums is that it is comparatively expensive, like all Sony products, and it uses the much-despised ALiS technology on a bought-in screen (Fuji/Hitachi). It's also, as the review of the new model points out, weak on input options compared with other makes. Nevertheless as I say I judged it gave the best PQ out of the available models at the time I bought it and it has performed faultlessly. As you're looking at 42-inch screens I suggest you owe it to yourself to check out the latest Pioneer models as they seem to have been very well received.

11. Maximus5

Maximus5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about new Sony plasmas with WEGA engine XS and MR series. I saw it yesterday and the pictured looked fantastic as weel as design.

12. hansg

hansg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about comparison between Sony PFM-42V1 and Fujitsu 42VHA31?

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Much tougher. The VHA31 has Samsung glass, not Panasonic. Personally I wouldn't, but then I'm a well known plasma snob... Out of those two I'd go for Panasonic or Pioneer

14. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    hansg,

Not being funny, but why don't you go an see both with your OWN eyes...hearing from other people who have looked at both might sound like a good idea, but you will only really know which to go for when you look for yourself...

I fell in love with the Pio 434 and had pretty much decided that was the plasma for me...until I saw the Panasonic's...once I had seen both side by side I knew i prefered the Panny...despite what other told me and what magazines tell you, it is just very personal...

Your OWN eyes are the best feedback...:smashin:

JJ

15. hansg

hansg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jasonjo,

I wish that was possible but unfortunately we all don't live in places sophisticated enough to have stores offering possibilities like that. ;)

16. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Ok, fair enough...personally I couldn't spend that much money without actually seeing the product in action...just my opinion though ;)

Good luck with your choice, my money would be on the Fuji :smashin:

JJ

17. hansg

hansg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there really a difference between the Fujitsu models P42VHA30 and P42VHA31 in favor of the VHA30? I thought the VHA31 was just a later model version of the VHA30.

18. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    It's a later version, and has exactly the same spec. But rather than a Panasonic panel it uses glass made by Samsung. I'm holding judgement until I see it because Samsung were commisioned to make a panel to do 4000:1 CR at 1000cd/m specifically for the Fujitsu VHA series, it is not an old Samsung panel thrown into a Fuji box of tricks so it could be just as easily be better or worse than the VHA30.

19. 38H21543

38H21543

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Many people around here haven't favoured Samsung, but with the possibility that they continue to develop new products better than the last ones, has anyone seen the new models. Could it be that these are what the Fujitsu's are based on.
    Cosmetically they look interesting on www.samsung.co.uk
    PS42S4S
    Resolution - 852(H) x 480(V)
    Brightness - 1000cd/m²
    Contrast - 3000:1
    PS42P4A
    Resolution - 1024(H) x 1024(V)
    Brightness - 1100cd/m²
    Contrast - 1000:1