1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fujitsu 40 series + Bristol show

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Pat Marcus, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Wondered if anyone had managed to get a look at the new 40 series, yet or is the Bristol show the only place ?
    Is it really the screen many of us have been waiting for ? Universally compatible at 50hz with true Hi Def, every conceivable "p" and "i" variation via component and DVi, fully HDCP but equally happy with a PC DVi socket and, with stunning PQ.

2. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Saw them at the show today. For some reason they were using AEGO mark II speakers, which I felt let them down a bit...

My impression of the 42": Fine. Not great, but fine. Not Panny black levels, a hint of fuzziness occasionally. Surprisingly and annoyingly thick.

50": Completely different (because it's not an ALiS screen, probably). Really very impressive, very good blacks, really solid picture. Sodding expensive.

If you're looking for a future-proof 42", I honestly wouldn't go for it. Buy a Panny PW7 and give it to the kids in a year and a half's time and buy the latest and greatest HD screen then. The 50", however... :)

3. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    That is nice to hear Sulis. :)

I am keen to hear more opinions on the 50", I was hoping to make it down but in the end just couldn't face a 4-5 hour drive each way. Unofrtunately I suspect that the street price might eliminate this one for me.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    50 was lovely...but next to 63" the 42 looked like a portable! the 63 Was incredible for the size 42 was an ALis panel which will always struggle with black, 50" is the way forward!

5. Oblomov

Oblomov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I endorse all the favourable comments regarding the picture quality of the new 50 inch panel. The black levels are particularly good, helped by the Panasonic glass, and made the 42 inch alongside look ordinary.

However, the Fujitsu representative volunteered some interesting information. The original specification for the European market included an integral tuner, as specified in the press, but no DVI or HDMi connections. At some belated point Fujitsu realised that this was an enormous error and decided to import the US specification model instead. This does not have a tuner but does have a DVI input (not HDCP compliant though) and a HDMi input, both of which are claimed to accept 50hz signals, although the Fujitsu representative could not confirm that they will accept native resolution at 50hz. I am awaiting an e-mail from Fujitsu on this matter tomorrow, but the US origins of the 50 inch panel's specification is a little worrying, at least until then.

I cannot vouch for the validity of the information above, I can only confirm that it came from a Fujitsu representative.

Incidentally, all three Fujitsu panels on display were calibrated by Piers and it would be interesting to hear his opinions.

6. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Yet again I was asked to set up screens without being given enough time to do a proper job, so none of them were ISF calibrated. The 63" screen was the only one of the three where I was able to get into a menu to set the colour temperature accurately and despite limited time I was pleased with the result. The 42" Alis screen was a slight disappointment - blacks were distinctly grey (and that wasn't my poor settings!). The 50" looked far, far better but there was no sign of colour temperature adjustment in the user menu and not even the techies from Fujitsu could get me into a menu to adjust it - it was looking way too blue and if only that had been correctable this screen would have delivered the goods.

7. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I managed to get there and my opinions reflect those below, too. I thought the 42" was a bit bright and the blacks, a little grey. The 50" I thought was without doubt the best image I have ever seen on a plasma.
    The guys from Fujitsu were running component out of an Arcam 79 and Hi def (1080i) out of a DVHS machine.
    Interesting, almost every plasma supplier at the show was using I-Robot as a test disc and this made it very easy to spot differences in screen PQ between models.
    Get this - The Fujitsu on component was better than the Pio XDE on hdmi !! The Fujitsu with a Hi Def signal was just stunning.

The Fujitsu rep I spoke to was 100% certain about 50hz compatibility. He had been at a presentation only days before by the Japanese, when just this question had arisen. I didnt push him on whether this was "general compatibility" or "native compatibility" as I dont really understand the difference. Oblomov - please explain and let us know what Fujitsu say.

He also told me the same news about the exclusion of a media box in preference for a computer DVi socket and an HDCP HDMI socket.

As far as I can tell, this is the universally compatible 50" screen that so many of us have been waiting for. It's an added bonus that the picture is drop-dead-gorgeous. It's a premium screen that carries a premium price tag. Let's hope some of the retailers out there (MAW, Joe, Liam, Gordon etc) can sell them at an attractive price, too. I can`t wait to buy one.

8. Oblomov

Oblomov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Pat,

No news from Fujitsu yet and after today I will be unable to access my e-mails for a week, unfortunately.

I am not an expert by any means but I will try to answer your question although my terminology will be incorrect probably.

"General compatibility" as you put it refers to video signals such as 720p/50 or 1080i/50 which rely on the plasma to do the processing and scaling.

Native resolution means inputting a signal that matches the resolution of the plasma, either from a PC or a scaler. This removes all processing/scaling duties from the plasma as it is given information on an individual pixel basis. In an ideal world 1:1 pixel mapping is achieved. On the 50 inch Fujitsu you would input a 1366x768 signal, hopefully at 50hz when watching PAL TV material in order to avoid the dreaded judder.

Hope I have not made this too confusing. Maybe one of the experts will be able to put it in clearer, more precise terms.

9. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    That's a very helpful explanation, thanks. I wondered whether it had something to do with pixel matching.
    I'll email and ask the same question and post my response if I get it sooner. In any case, I want one. I want one. I want one

10. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Does anyone have details of the price for the 50" ?

11. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    "Full-up" retail is £4995. At the show they were doing it for £4495 including a table stand or wall bracket worth £200. I hoped I might be able to get a better deal than that.........

12. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Other than the price my biggest worry is the panel surround.... I prefer black but of course the Fuji is silver only. How did it look?

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    dont worry about colour too much as extra bezels are sure to be available and they can be sprayed (panny can so see no reason why Fujitsu cant, may have warranty implications tho)

14. Redeye UK

Redeye UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Recent fujis had various buttons on the front, are the new ones the same? Older ones had them on the bottom edge sometimes behind a flap giving the surround a sleeker look, which I prefered.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    on the front IIRC right hand side?

16. alpina

alpina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Oblomov,

I heard a similar story re Australia bound models (50in). Apparently, the first batch are despecced in the input dept but that the next batch will be the US model. Also been told that that the picture is slightly better on the US models though this is unconfirmed and i cannot understand why it would be any different. Its a big investment for us so will wait for next batch before making a decision

Cheers,

Julie

17. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I believe that ALL the uk models will be HDMI specced US versions.

18. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Are the new screens on sale yet anybody got any links to online retailers that are stocking them

19. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Any answer to tcp/ip's query? I am also interested in acquiring one.

20. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    MAW is on the case