Fuji XF1 compact camera - owners thread

AMc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The FujiFilm XF1 keeps getting recommended here so I think a few of us have one.
I thought it might be useful to have a thread to share hints/tips/experiences with it.

Manual and software here
FUJIFILM XF1 | Support | Fujifilm Global

Flickr group here
Flickr: The Fuji XF1 Pool

At £129.99 delivered it's cheap compared to it's original RRP of £380 back in late 2012 when the reviews came out.
FUJIFILM XF1 High Performance Compact Digital Camera - Black Deals | Pcworld

I bought a leather(ish) case, primarily so I could use the half case with a neck strap for when I'm not wearing a jacket - it's a bit big for a jeans pocket.
Quality is good and the vintage look goes well with the camera.
There are a bunch of similar listings on eBay but I chose this one as it was UK based - the case came pretty quickly.
UK New Black Ever Ready Camera Case bag + strap for Fujifilm Fuji XF1 X-F1 X F1 | eBay

So far I'm using the custom view with the horizon level indicator a lot which is very handy.

I spent a while trying to get the "Focus Area" menu entry ungreyed so I could manually select focus points (Focus Mode=Area).
Something I missed is this setting seems to be overriden by "Face Detection" so that needs to be switched off if you want to select focus points yourself.
Does anyone know how to get the Fn or eFn buttons to jump straight to the focus point selection screen?

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
doesn't setting it to focus mode allow quick selection ?

...af mode will possibly need to be set to Area though...

Thanks for the thread. My one is with fuji with the dreaded lens control error.... :(

doesn't setting it to focus mode allow quick selection ?

...af mode will possibly need to be set to Area though...
You can set the fn button to select focus mode e.g. Area or continuous tracking but that doesn't jump you straight to the screen for actually choosing the focus point. That seems to require a trip to the menus which is a bit slower than I would like.

Sorry to hear you've got lens error sep8001, fingers crossed it comes back sorted out.

Last edited:
Does it behave the same if you have AF mode set to Area (as opposed to just Focus Mode set to Area) ? - the manual seems to imply that it should do what you want...

Thanks for looking, the only references I can find to "AF Mode" relate to the "Movie AF Mode"?
I can't find any other references. If you have page references I have the PDF of the manual at hand ;)

I've set the "Fn" button to go to the "Face Recognition" menu so I can quickly turn that on for "portraits" (a.k.a. family snapshots). For everything else I'm going to try using "Focus Mode>Tracking" for a bit - you centre on the thing you want to focus on then press "left" on the d-pad. The camera then does a pretty impressive job of keeping that thing in focus while you reframe or even move camera position. It's like a much more sophisticated version of a half shutter press.

Just downloaded again will have another look :)

I was referring to what it says on P62 about Focus Mode and then P65 Regarding Focus Frame Selection ?

It's pretty confusing with the camera and the manual as somethings are disabled by other settings, so with just the PDF it's probably impossible to work out what's going on. I do appreciate you looking in though!

[Fuji's Caps to be specific]
You can only get the FOCUS AREA setting enabled in the Menu if you have FOCUS MODE set to AREA first and FACE DETECTION set to OFF.
So if you have the FOCUS MODE set to AREA to begin with, you have to press MENU/OK once then UP seven times and RIGHT once to get to the point where you can scroll the focus point using the screen and the "selector button".
That feels like a lot of presses when my Olympus E-PL5 does the same job with 2 left presses on the direction pad in any mode or even better with a finger prod on the touchscreen ;)

As almost everything seems to be customisable I'm hoping some smart XF1 users knows a shortcut or perhaps the TRACKING or MULTI focus modes are a better general purpose choice.

Perhaps a general question but a particular Fuji frustration.
I usually shoot JPEG and use the camera manufacturer software to import images by plugging in the camera.
My Canon compacts and Olympus E-PL5 all import images by renaming the files with dates in the title and storing them in folders under the date the pictures were taken, one folder per day.
My first Fuji FinepixA201 and my latest XF1 do the file naming OK but put all the images in a folder with the date you import the images. I then manually sort them into day folders. Then the next time I plug the camera in it imports the whole card again into one folder with today's date Grrrrr!

So finally the question...
What do you use to import your XF1 images?

Use Lightroom, it catalogues everything upon import, where you import, how you want it.

Yes another LR user here, with both the xf1 and D90.

Cheers for the LR recommendations - I'll have to check it out as it seems to be so popular.

Just for future reference - I've discovered the built in "import pictures and video" in Windows 8 explorer does almost everything I would like without any trouble.
It lets me create single date folders and add descriptions to them on import (e.g. "C:\Pictures\Fuji XF1\2014\2014-07-21 Bridges in Norwich\").
It also renames the files with the date taken, the description and an incrementing number (e.g. "2014-07-21 Bridges in Norwich 009.jpg"); it would be ideal if it preserved the original numbering system (e.g. "2014-06-26_0331.jpg") but I'm not sure that matters really, the sequence within a day is probably more useful.

Anyone else feel free to post XF1 questions and answers too :thumbsup:

Dragging this back from the grave.
Beautiful foggy morning today so I stopped and tried to take some shots. At the widest zoom it over exposed everything to white. Zooming in a bit resulted in better exposure but still over.
Some indoor tests show awful over exposure at the wide end regardless of settings or resetting the camera completely.
Looking at it under a torch it looks like the aperture blades are failing to open or close reliably.
I don't use it much but I always carry it, I guess I'll be replacing it but having googled the issue, not with another Fujifilm camera - boo :(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom