Question Fuji X100T - Is it truly as great as they say?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by P-P-S-S, Jun 13, 2015.

1. P-P-S-S

P-P-S-S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    My current Nikon DSLR is a very nice camera indeed however it is on the large and heavy side when it comes to taking with me on holidays or daily walks. So I have been doing some research and have come accross the Fuji X100T model. It seems like a nice camera and well built (and the silver version has that nice vintage look as well). From some reviews I have read it looks like it is hailed as one of the best digital cameras out there. Indeed, Ken Rockwell claims that it "is a masterpiece, and much better made than a $3,000 DSLR, for a fraction of the price".

Anyone have any experience with this camera? Any opinions?

2. newbie1

newbie1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,852
    Hi ppss

this is fixed lens compact option. Such a camera is great depends on what you need but it serves a different purpose.

I have a compact camera and did consider it but in the end went for Sony rx100. The link below has a good comparison

Fujifilm X100T vs Sony RX100 III Detailed Comparison

3. BT Bob

BT Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    I have the X100S, and I can confirm it handles really well, and is more than capable of delivering outstanding images - in particular SOOC .jpgs are amazing.
    It's not the perfect camera (but, let's be honest, that doesn't exist) and the fixed lens is an obvious limitation... BUT, having said that, once you get to grips with it, and are aware of the limitations, IMO you can't go far wrong.
    The "T" is an upgrade to the "S" and, although I haven't used one, I can only imagine hoe good that is....

4. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,133
    Very nice camera indeed with the limitations already mentioned. Take Ken Rockwell with a pinch of salt though ;)

If you're happy with a fixed lens, and maybe can cope with something a bit wider then the Ricoh GR is a great alternative, and cheaper.

5. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    Short..ish... answer from me to the title is no. Fuji make brilliant cameras but the comments above say it all. It depends what you want to do something like a Sony A6000 with kit lens, Panasonic LX100 or GX7 for interchangeable lenses, Sony RX100 Mk3 would do a better all round job IMO.

But you almost can't go wrong at that level.... go have a play

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  6. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,133
    Sony RX100 only 1" sensor though compared with APS of Fuji and a6000.

7. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    True but the IQ is what counts and its impressive but yes APS would be inline with OPs DSLR.

8. Jules Winfield

Jules Winfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +641
    I have the XT-1 and the X20 and both are fantastic cameras. Fuji are very good at adding new features to their cameras via firmware updates. The only question is whether you can live with the fixed lens. If not and you'd like to stick with Fuji, then perhaps consider the X30 or even the new X-T10.

9. CFC1

CFC1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,242
    Good shout Jules. I think that the XT10 is an excellent compromise with the option for a small travel/street kit with a 23mm or thereabouts lens and the versatility of using other lenses too. I have an X100S, which is a great little camera, but I do find the fixed lens limiting on occasion. Having said that, it is my only travel camera, whereas the DSLR and bagful of lenses stays at home. It's true what they say though, in that having just one fixed lens frees you up to "zoom" with your feet and concentrate on composition/getting the shot.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,133
    FTFY :p

11. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    Actually the RX is really good in low light as well not sure where its not comes from. helps being 1.8 wide open. I've used mine at concerts and no flash, non stage shots come out fine... but single, zoom though lens, and its small size is not to everyones taste. Here's a couple on my first time of using mine...second shot is The Albert Hall

1. A friend

[​IMG]Francis 2 - Copy by Gary, on Flickr

[​IMG]Beach Boys 5 by Gary, on Flickr

But the op wants lenses then obviously look elsewhere as its not always possible to zoom with your feet..... safari for example... although to be fair you'd get some great close up shots of the lion dragging you off by your leg....

12. P-P-S-S

P-P-S-S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Thank you for the very useful replies guys. There were two things that got my attention on the X100T: its compact size and the superb vintage design.

Size: Don't get me wrong, I love my Nikon D5100 and I have no complains in terms of image quality. However I am an average amateur photographer and most of my time is taken by family (3 kids) and work commitments. As such I have very little time to play and learn new skills on my Nikon. Therefore 90% of the time the camera is used in Auto mode :)blush::blush:). Therefore the main benefits that I make use of are the zoom function, VR and the camera's own capabilities in Auto mode. However a lot of times I feel that these benefits are outweighed by the size of the thing (I only have one lens the 18-140). It is one of Nikon's most compact DSLRs and even if coupled with a prime it would still be quite chunky. I took the camera with me on my trip to New York and I have to admit that it was a bit of a burden to carry around. So the small and flat design of the Fuji is quite tempting.

Design: I have always been a fan of design and lean toward simplicity. In terms of camera design I absolutely adore Leica. Hence why I am attracted towards this Fuji. In my mind it is inspired by both vintage cameras and Leica design. The silver and black design is very appealing. I am not a 'form over function' guy but I try to balance form and function. For many years I have been an iPhone user. My father in law has always called me a fanboy and tried to change my mind by explaining to me that Samsung phones are much better because they have a lot more features and you can customise them a lot more than you can an iPhone. However, I am not one of those guys that loves to customise their electronics as much as they can. So to me the functions that an iPhone provides and the simplicity of its design (both physical and software) are perfect and sufficient for my needs.

So I would rather sacrifice some of the functions that a DSLR offers (which i probably would not be able to use anyway) for ease of use and size.

The type of pictures that I take? Most of them are: pictures of my kids and family, tourist pictures (when I visit other countries) and the occasional landscape pictures.

Hope the above explains my thinking and my needs.

PS: Any opinions on how Fuji cameras compare with some of Leica's less price prohibitive models?

13. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,133
    I understand you like design but surely the end result is what matters most? First question is, will be happy using one focal length and what's your budget?

14. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,133
    Depends on your level of acceptability I guess ;) The RX100 is a great camera by the way, I'm not saying it's not, it's just you have to accept what it is.

15. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    If you like the design then I would go for the Fuji X- T10 for the option to buy different lenses... but any Fuji camera would not disappoint.

16. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,133
    I agree this is a better option, the only 'issue' is that by the time you start adding lenses it's not much smaller than an entry level DSLR, and the OP already has one of those and says it's too heavy and bulky.

17. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    So if thats the main issue then the single fixed lens is left. Not sure that Leicas are worth the premium or the hype in my humble opinion.

18. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,133
    Leica's arent 'worth it' IMO either. There are other better (IMO) options such as the a6000 but of course this doesn't have the retro look. Olympus EM10/EM5 is another option of course and have the retro look.

19. P-P-S-S

P-P-S-S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Absolutely, the end result is what matters most. However, the point I was trying to make is that when you compare similar cameras (from reputable brands) the quality of pictures taken in Auto mode would be pretty much the same. Unless I am wrong?

In respect to the focal length, after reading some of the posts above I think a camera with variable focal lengths will be a better option. Budget is around £1k (give or take a hundred or two).

So is Fuji and Leica on the same level (in terms of features, build quality and lens quality)?

20. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,133
    Leica are generally a different animal having rangefinders and full manual operation.

21. P-P-S-S

P-P-S-S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I feared they would be. Looks like I have to start a new thread focussed on Leica. :facepalm:

22. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,133
    Tbh based on the fact you use auto most of the time and don't understand settings I would suggest that Leica is absolutely not the right camera for you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  23. P-P-S-S

P-P-S-S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    In that case I'll stay away from it. The price of the rangefinder models seems to be quite prohibitive anyway. I was looking at the X type Leicas but they seem to be digital compacts (unless I am mistaken). In which case I certainly dont intend to pay £1k+ for one.

24. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,133
    TBH I think even the X-series is all manual. The only ones that I can think of that having auto controls are their line they call their 'compact cameras'. The D-lux typ 109 which has a slightly cropped 4/3 sensor so IQ should be very good,..... for a compact. Thing is though it's just a Panasonic LX100 with a leica badge on and a higher price tag.

25. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,816
  26. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,133
    Nice, but uber expensive and fixed lens again.

Looking at it more the X-series do appear to have auto controls, not sure how you activate these though?

27. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,816
    "Both the aperture ring and shutter speed dial have 'A' for automatic settings to allow the Q to be set to program, aperture priority or shutter priority mode as well as manual"

That's for the Q - and it has scene/processing modes via menu

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  28. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,133
    OP there's a LX100 (which I mentioned in post 24) for sale in the classifieds. I've no affiliation with this member, but saw it for sale and thought of this thread ;)

29. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    Completely ignoring your budget in a good way :) as a point and shoot I really like my Fuji XF1. They take fabulous pictures and cost less than the cases of many cameras :)
    A bit older and only available used but worth a look

There is one for sale in the classifieds and the owner is comparing it favourably to his/her X100S [I have no relationship to the seller BTW just saw it in there]
    For Sale - Fujifilm XF1 | AVForums

30. Jules Winfield

Jules Winfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +641
    One thing you could consider doing is hiring a camera for a day or two to see how you like it and whether you could live with the fixed lens. Calumet let you hire out the X100S: Fuji X100S | Hire | Rent | Calumet Rental