1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji S7000

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by texasboy, Nov 7, 2003.

1. texasboy

texasboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Does anyone have one of these yet?

I don't know whether it has been launched yet but the guys in Jessops and a couple of other places have been ranting and raving saying for the money (£600ish) it's the best thing since sliced bread.

This is the camera I think I'm going to buy but can anyone else recommend anything else at a simlar price point.

6.3 mp
    6x optical zone

Some may say you don't need pixels that high but it will be used to print out some pretty large images and the pictures need to be spot on.

Any thoughts????

2. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Certainly looks great, but £600 ? For £200 more I can get the 300D with a lense.

3. texasboy

texasboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've seen the 300D with a lense for just over £800, but where do you stop.

If I jump to £800 I could spend a bit more and then a bit more, where do you stop?

Before you know it you've spend £1300.00 !!!

For the money I THINK it looks to be the best one, although the 300D is really great thoough

4. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    It depends on you really. A 300D might be good to last you for 10 years or more, but you might regret the fixed lense limitations of Fuji 7000 after two years. By which time it's resale value would have dropped considerably, and you'd probably end up buying a Digital SLR from scratch costing you another £500 on top of the £600 you spend on the fuji.

I would get the 300D from QED with lense for £749 aprox

5. texasboy

texasboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    That's a fair point. £750 is a bloody great price.

I may have to investigate.

6. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi texasboy, I paid £786.67 for my 300D with 18-55 lens. As I've mentioned before on this forum I got mine from Jessops and they price matched it with QED-UK.com. What Digital Camera have just done a review on the 300D and are reviewing the Fuji S7000 next month. The fact that you can change lens on the 300D and that it has the same chip as the Canon 10D, in my opinion makes it the better camera. From what I've read about the S7000 it sounds and looks a nice camera, but not being able to change the lens is why I went for the Canon. The fact that QED are cheaper than Jessops means you will properly find the S7000 cheaper as well. Have a look on www.pricerunner.com then it's make your mind up time.
    ASH1 :smashin:

7. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Texasboy. I too was interested in the Fuji S7000 having been happy with my Fuji 2800. However, I have ended up buying the Minolta A1.

The main 2 reasons being:-

* The zoom lense starts at 28mm (equivalent) which is very useful, especially with indoor shots.
    * Whilst Fuji cameras produce sharp images with excellent colour, there is no control over the jpeg compression you can use. The only compression available is very aggressive which is great for getting lots of shots on your memory card, but, and this is a big but, it can show itself as noise, especially if you start cropping your images. The Minolta, on the other hand, has Extra Fine, Fine and Normal, compression modes as well as TIF and RAW.

Price wise, Jessops did an internet price match (give or take £10), and I got it for £650.

8. texasboy

texasboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    too much confusion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    >>>>The Minolta, on the other hand, has Extra Fine, Fine and Normal, compression modes as well as TIF and RAW.<<<<

I'm pretty sure the fuji 7000 would have equal compression modes. I'm sure it has similar ones.

10. texasboy

texasboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Right,

I know the 300D is the camera to have at the £800ish price point.

However, if I decide to not spend as much which is the best one to go for upto £650

I'm not going to want to blow images up past A3 size and resolution is very important.

A friend of mine had a Fuji (don't know model) which was about £500 (bit less I think) and he had a wide angle lense and showed me some pictures he took in the Maldives earlier this year (just standard size pictures) and they were stunning.

I just want something that will take great photos

Cheers

11. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Another option might be the Minolta Dimage 7i that can now be bought for around £500.

5mp with 7x optical zoom
    Automatic operation but with full manual overide for all settings if required.

I've had the D7 for around 2 years and love it. The biggest pictures I have printed from it have been A4 and the results were stunning. I would think that A3 would also be very good.

Mark.

12. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I've been looking at cameras in this territory, and for me, the Sony F717 is still the best camera for me, and can be had for just over £500 at the moment. Shame about the memory stick legacy, but they are getting cheaper now (thank the lord for US Ebay traders).

The 717 although a bit old now, still has a superb (albeit shorter) 5x zoom lens, and handles nicely (in my opinion, from the short time i've used it in shops)

Just need to go out and buy one now!

I had a minolta Dimage 7i for a while, but returned it after a few weeks as i just couldn't get on with it, i didn't really like the feel of it. Call me a fussy git eh?

13. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes, you would have thought so, but I have looked into this, including downloading the S7000 manual from Fuji, and there is no control at all over the compression you can use for jpegs. You can forgive this on the lower end cameras, but on the S7000 is unforgivable.

14. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    You're a fussy git :devil:

But to be serious, I know that no camera, no matter how good, is going to suit everybody! I love the Dimage 7 and the way it handles. Its big enough to hold securely and gives stunning results. For others it could just be too big and yes it does drain batteries at a fairly alarming rate. To ballance out these problems I also have a Canon S30 (updated models being the S45 & S50) that is small and slips into a pocket.

Mark.

15. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi texasboy, I still think the 300D is the best option. you've been given our opinion, now if I were you I'd go and look at all these cameras and make YOUR choice.
    ASH1 :smashin:

16. texasboy

texasboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    fair play.

Wll have a look later this week

Thanks for your help

17. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Yes, but just shoot on either highest quality jpeg quality or raw. If you want to start fixing the compression for jpegs you'd be more likely to want to shoot in raw or Tiff mode anyway.

18. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry, but that's the whole point - there is no highest quality jpeg setting, only one which is highly compressed.

If you shoot in RAW mode, you have to do a lot of 'post production' to the image to get a printable result, so for most people, this setting is never used. What they will use, however, is either TIF or JPEG. Most high end cameras give you a choice of jpeg's, on the Minolta A1 it's 'Extra Fine', 'Fine' or 'Normal'. But with the S7000, if you don't want to use RAW, you have to use JPEG and there is no choice, you have to use the compression that Fuji has set, which is 'Normal' compression.

Download the manual from Fuji (this is where I got my information from), and you'll see what I mean.

If I'm buying a higher end camera, I'd expect excellent results. What I would be most unhappy with is photos that display noise caused by the compression routine used by the camera.

Maybe I'm just being too fussy!

[Edit] Actually, there is a fine JPEG mode, but only if you shoot at 12Megapixels which is 6MP interpolated. If you look here:-
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/S7000_pg5.html
    you'll be able to read more.

19. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
  20. LoveSpuds

LoveSpuds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was seriously considering this camera, but instead I bought the Nikon Coolpix 5700.

My main reason for this was the reviews on www.steves-digicams.com. The 7000S did ok, but the issues regarding digital noise and image quality due to the aggresive compression put me right off.

Take a butchers at the reviews and see what you think.

BTW, I bought my Nikon from www.Pixmania for a bargain £600 (or there abouts) and received the camera within 3 days of ordering. Nikon are also offering £100 cashback to UK residents, but you need to have the voucher stamped with a 'dealers stamp'.

I E-mailed Pixmania and gave them the link to download a copy of the voucher. I asked them to stamp it for me and bung it in the post, and sure enough, a few days later the voucher turned up.

I only posted it off to Nikon UK a few days ago, but I am hoping I will have got the Coolpix for £500.

IT IS A TIP TOP CAMERA!!!