1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji P5XHA40US speaker challange !

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Avi, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,063
    Lookin for opinions/guidance on surround speakers to go with my new panel. In addition to sound quality I need to balance "wife friendly" looks. She likes the concept of the Artcoustic ones. Also prefer wall mounts.

Thoughts?

2. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Dazzer,

I have the Artcoustic DF65-50s (and C1 center) and they sound and look very nice. As to wife-friendly my wife actually picked them out after seeing them in Smart House International, so much so that she upped my budget considerably to get them. :)

The Diablo minis would make sweet surrounds, unfortunately my budget didn't stretch that far so I am using my old Tanny revolutions for my rears.

Joe @ The Media Factory sells the Artcoustics and will be able to advise accordingly. (Joe, Liam etc. will also be able to recommend alternatives)

Photo of my DF65-50s, C1 and Fuji 50". (note: the speaker prints are concept at the moment using my wifes paintings, we still have to get the actual prints done :))

[​IMG]

--
    Rahmo

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Be warned Artcoustics, though very nice, are in second mortgage territory for many forum members! At slightly more down to earth prices, Gallo or Tannoy Arenas are possible WAF products that can still cut the mustard on sound. There is a bespoke Gallo surround pack for everyone, mix & match according to function and aesthetics.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,217
  5. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    in the same price bracket as the Artcoustics make sure you check out the nautilus series in-wall range from B&W. They sound absolutely stunning. I didnt think the artcoustics (not sure which ones - about £2500 per pair) were quite good enough on transparency with female vocals. Other than that, they sounded superb and great with films.

6. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    2.5k is the retail for the DF65-50s, and I must admit we were aware that the same money could probably buy something a bit better sonically but were unhappy with the look of the in-walls we saw (whereas some people prefer the look of the flush in-wall speakers, or the very wide range of amazing floor-standers available in that price bracket). The ability to get our own artwork printed on the Artcoustics, and the ability to change the prints in the future, swung it for us.

That said, the B&W nautilis were very tempting and may well be a better option for many (incl. this particular case).

One thing to bear in mind of course is what you are driving the speakers with, we are using an old Denon AVR-3200 AV receiver which is not ideal for music anyway and will be due an upgrade at some point (I love the sound of the Arcam AVR300).
    Katherine Jenkins sounds superb to my ears though, so as long as I don't hear the nautilis I will be happy. ;)

What is your budget Dazzer as that makes a huge difference to the recommendations, e.g. Artcoustic DF65-50 fronts+c1 center+diablo mini rears will set you back almost 4k (although, for example, you could go with diablo minis for your fronts if you are not bothered about the prints).

You can get a lot of speaker for that kind of money, incl. some nice Amp/speaker combos + video processor. ;)

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    If thinking of in walls, there are a few others to consider of course, like sonance, either symphony range for a musical slant, or Cinema 1s or 2s accoring to budget.

8. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,063

Ah yes budget.... about £2.5k'ish and whilst the prints look good there not high on my priority list. I'll use my existing Denon 3802 to drive this for now.

9. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Do you prefer in-wall or on-wall or either?

For 2.5k you could get 4 Artcoustic Diablo Mini's and a C1 center, but there may be better options, especially as you will want to match them up with a decent sub.

10. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    £2.5k says 3 Anthony Gallo dues, a couplathree a'divas and a Velodyne sub to me :D

If going in-wall remember that you will have higher installation costs to boot... Question is do you want a make a subtle feature of your speakers, or simply get rid of them altogether? I'm more for the in-wall get rid of 'em approach but there again I've seen/done some very, very cool looking Gallo setups ;)

Artison do some very nice speakers which attach to the plasma where plasmas own speakers would go. The two speakers work your front three channels (centre is dual-mono using the top drivers, then left and right have their own drivers lower down the unit). You're looking at around £1k for the LCRs, £300ish for their matching rears.... and budget left for a Velodyne sub!

11. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,063
    On wall - I have a kef sub that may be adequte for now.

12. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,063

Rahmo

By the way your setup look great and your wifes painting are very much to my tastes..... What colour combination is your C1?

13. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,063

Liam

Ideally get rid altogether but I suspect this would be a pain as the wall in question is plaster/render direct to brick. So the next best thing is the subtle feature approach as you put it.

14. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Cheers (and I will pass the message onto my wife :)), the C1 is Silver with a white cover (same as the mains until I get the prints done).

If you like on-wall then the Diablo Minis are def worth auditioning (and are 'frameless' like the C1), if you want to hide altogether or go for subtle with in-walls then the options listed above by Liam, MAW, HD should be given a good look. I am sure either of the above would be happy to talk you through some options, it can be quite tricky to get a good feel for things via the forums/PM. :)