1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji P50XHA40US vs Pio 506XDE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by grand, Sep 28, 2005.

1. grand

grand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my first posting as I'm relatively new to the plasma scene.
    I'm in the market to upgrade my std 32" TV to a wall mounted plasma.
    After seeing the Pio 435XDE and the Pani 42PV500, I was edging towards the Pani solely due to its better clarity, sharpness and colour realness (especially skin tones and black backgrounds).
    Placed an order for the Pani but heard the 436XDE was about to come out so cancelled the order and waited.
    Have now seen the first rave review of the 436XDE in What Hifi. Went to my local dealer to see for myself and he mentioned the Fujitsu P50XHA40US. Thinking about it, if I'm going to spend this sort of money and my room is big enough for the 50" which it is, and hopefully will give 5-6 years of viewing, I've bit the bullet and have decided on the 50" (means selling the family, cat and renting my body out to medical science...but sacrifices have to be made!!!). The picture on the Fuji was outstanding through DVD. It had been ISF calibrated and was basically blown away by the clarity.
    I haven't seen the Pio 506XDE as they hadn't any in but can anyone advise on the new Pio vs. Fuji?
    Does anyone have any idea what the picture on the Fuji is like through a Freeview box and which one if I went for it, would you recommend?
    Can anyone recommend an ISF calibrator in the Birmingham/Warwick area?
    I would appreciate some help in this matter. Thanks.

2. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The Fuji 50" has its own issues (for me at least ;)) but from what I can gather it is still superior PQ-wise when compared to the 506.

Marry it with a scaler and you will be in AV heaven. (speaking of which..where the he** as Dilsher gone?)

R.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    ISF in Birmingham area....well even I would have to suggest that Piers over in Telford is pretty close by!

www.homecinemaengineering.com

Gordon

4. grand

grand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rahmorak - thanks for that. Forgive my ignorance- what would an external scaler do compared to the in-built one. Could you recommend a scaler?

Gordon - thanks for the contact.

5. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The best place to start is Gordon's article here: http://www.convergent-av.co.uk/article4.html

Gordon sells the Lumagen that I know off (at the above site) but you can also buy Crystalio and DVDO iScan amongst others. Joe @ the media factory or Liam @ progressive av could probably provide help with the latter products.

Either way they are expensive 800-1k+ (Crystalio is 2k+) but are well worth the money.