1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji or olympus xd cards

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Hercules51, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Hercules51

Hercules51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Fuji finepix S5500. I want to be able to take and store longer movies. I have been reading that 1GB cards are either slow, unreliable and in some cases not compatible with my camera. Is this true and am I best to stick with 512mb or lower?

I was thinking more about holiday use when it is not possible to pop back to the PC and download.

Any tips or experience with 1mb greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

2. RobertP

RobertP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read recently that some Oly cameras have problems with xD cards bigger than 512k and also that the 1G card is very slow.
    Eggs and baskets.... more 512's or smaller seems like a good idea. I have used a 256 Fuji card with my Oly 5050 for some time and never had a card error. The 5050 takes CF and xD - the xD is significantly slower than a fast ish speed CF

3. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Generally, the larger the card, the faster the write times. However, its no good buying a 40x write speed if the cameras buffer and write times cant match. The weakest link theory im afraid.
    Check out the Fujifilm uk website http://www.fujifilm.co.uk they have a compatability chart. The site is down for maintainance right at the moment, but I believe the s5500 does take the 1gb card but write times may be reduced ever so slightly.
    AFAIR, Movie mode will record with the 1 GB xD card, but when you try to play it back both on the camera and on the PC, it will say the file is corrupted.
    Some Fujis like the s7000 take CF. If yours can, go for a Kingston 1GB or 2GB. You can trust Kingston.

4. Hercules51

Hercules51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice chaps

I think I get the impression its probably best to steer clear of the 1mb card for the time being. Being a relatively new medium, do I understand that even the newer cameras find it hard to cope with storing on it?.

I think I will just stick to the 512mb, unless someone can categorically confirm that they have had no trouble with this and the S5500. I visited www.myfuji.com and they said that the S5000 may have trouble with recording movies on 1gb, but didnt mention if the newer S5500 would have similar problems.

The S5500 will only take XD cards I am afraid. I havent seen a miniturising adapter to allow it to take the CF cards which my old Nikon takes!!! sorry

cheers

5. RobertP

RobertP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I read was it was a design problem getting 1Gb into the tiny xD format that caused the slowness. 512 and below were not affected.

xD has been around for a while but it was very expensive a couple of years ago. Prices seem to be more realistic now compared to other formats.

6. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im not sure the reason of design over functionality regarding the xd card for the 1gb not working.
    It can be done, reprogramming the firmware usually, but older/cheaper camera arent usually afforded this treatment.
    Stick to the 512 if I were you.

7. Hercules51

Hercules51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks longleyc

Are you suggesting the S5500 is an 'old'and 'cheap' camera !!!LOL so how dare I expect it to work with new memory formats!!

8. sorbiegunner

sorbiegunner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Olympus 1Gb XD card is a new technology called XD type M, and Olympus say this about it.
    They are also now making 256 Mb and 512 Mb cards in the new type M and original styles. This might be for one of three reasons (that I can think of.)

1.The new technology offers advantages over the old, over and above the increased capacity.

2. Future cameras will not be backwardly compatable with the old ones.

3. Some idiots will buy them thinking that they must be better than the old ones cos' they're dearer.

Take your pick.
    As for other makes I'm not sure but won't they all be working from the same spec sheet?

9. Hercules51

Hercules51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The link which has appeared above to the digital cameras website, is roughly what I paid for mine. It is a cool user friendly piece of kit.

The Specs suggest the camera is only compatible with 16mb to 512mb. is this because the specs were written last year before the advent of 1gb M ??

Has anyone actually purchased and used the 1GB card succesfully yet, especially in a fugi?

10. Hercules51

Hercules51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the end I bought an olympus 512mb card from Amazon at £34.77.

I think I was right to stay away from the 1GB for now, as I do detect a slightly longer delay in storing pictures over the 128mb. Nothing to be annoying though.

My guess is that the higher the memory capacity,the 'stickier' XD cards become! :lesson: