1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji finepix S304 too slow

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by freddyuk, Jun 17, 2005.

1. freddyuk

freddyuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have just been on a trip using my Fuji for outdoor shots.
    Whilst this has been a good camera its limitations were obvious when i tried to catch action shots of Eagles and Killer Whales. Lots of empty sky and water!
    Having checked the forums i see shutter lag is an issue with this camera so should i revert to my old 35mm SLR for these type of shots or is there a digital camera that will come close to the SLR.
    I also have the 1.5x zoom lens which does not really "get there" in my view.
    I am not an expert so would appreciate some advice.

I did use the video option but this uses up memory.

Many thanks

Freddy

2. wildone

wildone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I totally sympathise - my S304 (out on loan at he mo - bought a Nikon D70 kit about five weeks ago) was hopeless. Took it to a cricket match a couple of years ago with the intention of shooting closeups from the boundary. The 6x zoom took me in far enough but most of the time, all I got was "after" shots (ie. after the shot). Eventually I had to try and anticipate, and press the shutter button before a shot was played - most annoying.
    If you're after a decent budget DSLR, look at the D70 and Canon EOS350D for starters. Nikon have recently announced the D50 and D70s - others more experienced in these matters will offer more detailed advice.

3. martynk

martynk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. DSLRs pretty much eliminate the problem - at a price - but I believe some of the newer P & S models are a lot better than the older ones, and less expensive. Sorry I can't suggest any particular cameras, because I've decided to buy a DSLR when I can afford it, and I'm not really current with P & S development, but I'm sure someone will give you a recommendation. The DSLR is the only realistic option if you're serious about wildlife though, and prices are coming down.