1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji Finepix M603 Zoom vs Milonta Z1

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by wildbillmusic, Nov 9, 2003.

1. wildbillmusic

wildbillmusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exmas is coming, and I have money to burn burn burn (well not literally, but you get the drift)

As I Said in the other topics a while back (bak in the good ol inocent days), Im buying a camera around £300 that does movis as well as pics, and now I defintatly need to decide between these two models....

:rotfl: Minolta z1
    :rotfl: Fuji Finepix M603 Zoom

I like the zoom of the minolta, but the big screen of the fuji, i like the size of minolta, etcetc

Question

:clap: Whats the best one for Storage of vids and batteri life?:clap: ?????????? And I cant afford a microdrive unless there under £100!

Cheers

2. wildbillmusic

wildbillmusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also this is a question thats been on my mind for ages...

If I have a 128MB SD card in the minolta, how much movies can I shoot when its at 30FPS and at standard settings? (as in minuits of shooting till it runs out etc) And whats better for write speeds, SD or MMC?

Thanks

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    As I posted in your earlier thread about the Z1:

Movie Clips on a 32Mb SD card
    640 x 480/320 x 240/160 x 120
    30 fps 13 sec/21 sec./1 min. 22 sec.
    Movie clips recorded with audio.
    Actual number of images may vary depending upon the subject and memory card.

:lesson: so a 128Mb card is 4x the size, therefore multiply the above by 4. 30fps @ 640 x 480 will give 56seconds on a 128MB SD card :devil:

Mark.

4. wildbillmusic

wildbillmusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! That’s cool, so 56 seconds is good if its in good quality with mono sound. Now all I need is a good waterproof case to go with this camera! any ideas anyone?

Thanks again for that!

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I did have a look for a case for the Z1 on www.fotosense.co.uk
    The problem is that this is a very new camera and therefore it is not listed as fitting in any of the generic cases. Also Minolta do not have a case listed for that camera (on this site that is). The Minolta case for my camera, the Dimage 7, is only £30 so a case for the Z1, which I think is smaller, should not be too much. I would suggest a trip to a Jessops and stick a Z1 in a few cases to try.

Mark.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    OK, just done a 'google' search for the Minolta CS-DG600 case which is for the Z1.
    The price for this tends to be £30

Mark.

7. wildbillmusic

wildbillmusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers man, i found this.... http://www.digital-cameras.com/shop/showproduct.asp?id=1583

but £30! Is this the one you have? It looks preety robust, but doesnt look like its a hardcase or prone to rain.

Maybee i should buy the camera, then just find a good rain proof hardcase fot it? Or is it best to buy that one?

Thanks

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I don't have this case as I don't have a Z1. This case should protect the Z1 well as it is designed specifically for this camera.
    I have a Samsonite soft case that is very similar to that one, but fits my camera. No they are not water proof, but I have never had any problems with water getting into the case and I took it on 'The Maid Of The Mist' boat at Niagra Falls :eek: . I think its more to do with 'We do not guarentee its waterproof' rather than it 'Will let in water'.
    As you say, your best bet might be to get the Z1 and then try a few cases, but a waterproof hard case will not be cheap!

Mark.

9. wildbillmusic

wildbillmusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Mark!!!

U seem to know your cameras so Iv'e got some more questions for you to have a pop at! (id be really gratefull)....

Im buying a 128MB card with my Minolta Z1, but im not sure which is the best.... MMC or SD (it takes both), and what make I should get. Do I need one with a high write speed (as its going to be mostly used for doing high qulity vids 30fps etc)?. Ill buy it from amazon along with the camera, so if you could find me one thats availible from them that would be really really cool.Thanks for your time!

There's sooooo many! http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/ref=s_ce_rs/026-6601878-8787666

Cheers!

10. aaronjon

aaronjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    check out the minolta talk forum at dpreview.com, there seems to be an audio sync. problem at full res video, which people are waiting for a firmware release fix.
    also others are not getting this sync. problem with 256 mb sd cards.

11. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Oh well the boss can wait, this is much more fun than work :devil: :D

I had a look on amazon and the cheeper cards tend to be by ByteStor. They have a 5 year swap out guarentee, so they can't be too bad and the reviews seem good.
    MMC or SD? Well I've not used either as my cameras use CF so I don't really know the differences. I'll therefore leave that to somebody else.

Oh well, I'd better plug the server back in now before the phones melt :devil: otherwise it will be no Christmas bonus for me (like i'll get one anyway :nono: ).

Mark.

12. wildbillmusic

wildbillmusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont work too hard! Cheers..

To.... aaronjon

I cat find the topics you are refering too. So what your saying is if I buy a 256mb instead of 128mb I wont have any probelms with audio sync?. Well they are a lot more expensive and i dont need to extra space, but thanks for bring that up, could you please point me in the direction to where you saw that topic (post up the link please)
    tar.

WB

13. aaronjon

aaronjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1024
    check out all the Z1 messages, i believe mmc are older smaller slower than sd, got my 256mb san disk sd card from ebuyer.co.uk £56
    edit added
    look/search for -z1 compatable cards- from about 1 month ago.