fuji e550 and rechargable battery problems

i have been having trouble with my fuji e550 and the rechargable batteries i use, the batteries are high capacity ie 2300 mAH, the camera performs fine when the 2 batteries are fresh out of the charger but if i store the camera with the batteries in it and go back say 3 weeks later the camera switches on, will take a picture and then switch off, the picture aint stored. The weird thing is there is enough power for it to switch on and i can zoom the lens in and out but only when i take a picture does it switch itself off.

does this seem like a problem with the batteries or the camera, i had an olympus 2020zoom before and never had these problems.

any tips or advice welcome
 

beachy

Active Member
mystic_bertie said:
i have been having trouble with my fuji e550 and the rechargable batteries i use, the batteries are high capacity ie 2300 mAH, the camera performs fine when the 2 batteries are fresh out of the charger but if i store the camera with the batteries in it and go back say 3 weeks later the camera switches on, will take a picture and then switch off, the picture aint stored. The weird thing is there is enough power for it to switch on and i can zoom the lens in and out but only when i take a picture does it switch itself off.

does this seem like a problem with the batteries or the camera, i had an olympus 2020zoom before and never had these problems.

any tips or advice welcome
hi,

i think you may find that these type of rechargeble batteries tend to discharge themselves if left for long periods of time without use,although i am not quite sure what the time limit is (i'm sure someone will be along later to verify this) a lot of batterys just have enough in them just to switch the camera on,and extend the lens then it goes off,you could try taking the batterys out if your not going to use it for a few weeks,this may possibly help.
 

JayCee

Distinguished Member
mystic_bertie said:
i have been having trouble with my fuji e550 and the rechargable batteries i use, the batteries are high capacity ie 2300 mAH, the camera performs fine when the 2 batteries are fresh out of the charger but if i store the camera with the batteries in it and go back say 3 weeks later the camera switches on, will take a picture and then switch off, the picture aint stored. The weird thing is there is enough power for it to switch on and i can zoom the lens in and out but only when i take a picture does it switch itself off.

does this seem like a problem with the batteries or the camera, i had an olympus 2020zoom before and never had these problems.

any tips or advice welcome
If these are NIMH (Nickel Metal Hydrate) batteries they do tend to lose capacity when stored even for relatively short periods.
I have experienced this myself.:thumbsdow
 
L

longleyc

Guest
I find the same as the above posts, however make use of the Discharge feature on the charger. NIMH have a "memory factor" by design which affects the state of charge.
Always regulary discharge the Batts so they are completely flat before charging. This helps prolong batt life too.
 

JayCee

Distinguished Member
longleyc said:
I find the same as the above posts, however make use of the Discharge feature on the charger. NIMH have a "memory factor" by design which affects the state of charge..
The "memory factor" doesn't affect NIMH batteries, only "Nickel Cadmium" batteries suffer from this.
 

Overlord69

Active Member
JayCee said:
The "memory factor" doesn't affect NIMH batteries, only "Nickel Cadmium" batteries suffer from this.
Wrong, they do suffer from it but to a lesser degree. The only batteries that you can effectively say don't are "Lithium-ion-polymer". :lesson:
 

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Overlord69 said:
Wrong, they do suffer from it but to a lesser degree. The only batteries that you can effectively say don't are "Lithium-ion-polymer". :lesson:
Agreed.
Does anyone know if the Lithium-ion type are available in "AA" standard?
 
L

longleyc

Guest
Thanks for the correction. NIMH DO suffer from memory issues!
You wont find Lithium ION batteries in AA standards.
Lithium ION batts in propriety form are expensive, but worth it.
 

spuddler

Active Member
Hi,i think you can get Lithium ion batterys in AA form,but there are like 2 AA's joined together to replace as a pair & expensive.

Cheers BOB
 

jamiev

Active Member
ok
 
Top Bottom