Fuji DVD-R Disks for Authoring

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by johnhugh, Jul 6, 2004.

1. johnhugh

johnhugh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought some Fuji DVD-R disks from ebay at quite a good price, that was untill I tried to use them on my Sony GX3 recorder and my Sony Vaio desk top. They disks did not work on either unit, then after a bit of research I noticed that the disks are labelled "DVD for Authoring" and not "DVD for Data" like the other fuji disks I have tried.

Can anyone tell me what DVD-R "DVD for Authoring" disks are used for?

Thanks
    John

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    You can only use DVD-R "General Use" on your domestic DVD recorders/PC burners.

Authoring DVD-Rs are recorded on machines aimed at the video industry such as the Pioneer S201. They allow professional users to test finalised projects before mass production.

Why can't they do that on 'normal' DVD-Rs you ask? Well DVD-Rs for authoring offer a number of features CMF for example (Cutting Master Format) which can negate the need for master tapes and thus save time.

Also DVD-R Authoring was marketed before DVD-R General. The DVD Forum deemed the specifications of DVD-R Authoring unsuitable for commercial DVD-R useage. Primarily a few changes were implemented such as 650nm Wavelength recording (as opposed 635nm for Authoring) as well as physical protection against one-for-one copying of commercial DVDs.

To date authoring DVD-Rs have survived to date because they continue to have numerous applications in the business but YOU CANNOT USE THEM IN YOUR EQUIPMENT. Both type of disks, once finalised, will play back on virtually all DVD players.

I can go into it in more detail if you like - but that is a general overview.

3. johnhugh

johnhugh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that - Now to try and git rid of the disks!

John

4. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Try Ebay :) What goes around comes around!

Regards

Philip

5. johnhugh

johnhugh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will :)